Home form

Neil Dawson

UTC Legend
Reflecting on way home as Eddie was saying how we need to give the home fans more (for the umpteenth interview this year) how few games have been enjoyable. I’ve looked stats up of last fifteen home games and it bears it up.

Wins 3 Draws 5 losses 7 F14 A 21

It includes
Fulham 0-1
Burnley 1-3
Burnley 0-1
Norwich 0-0
Wolves 1-2

Five of the worst games in recent memory Bizarrely the wins were Man U, Everton and Spurs (although the latter had 9 men) and two of them were 1-0

We have scored more than once on only three occasions...

So it is as dull as it seems!! What do people put it down to? My view is we have run out of ideas on the training ground and this counter attacking football to try and protect the defence is strangling us to death.

How do we go back to entertaining football and blitzing teams. We can play what we like away from home but this home form is turgid and very un~Bournemouth and Eddie like.

14 possible points lost this season so far,mostly from teams in and around us.What a difference a few of them would have made and it can’t be down to just the injuries we have had the chances but failed dismally to take them

14 possible points lost this season so far,mostly from teams in and around us.What a difference a few of them would have made and it can’t be down to just the injuries we have had the chances but failed dismally to take them
I don’t think we have even had the chances. Within the last fifteen games we have had the lowest ever Pl shots games and another game when we became the only side not to have a shot of any description in a top flight game since records began.

Time for Eddie to bring in a new man with new ideas I think.

Basically we badly miss Brooks.

Also players like Fraser and Wilson don’t seem aggressive as we know they can be and head for goal and have a shot.

The Fraser, Wilson understanding is missing so far this season and I personally think Wilson has lost some of his pace which makes a big difference.

We need a midfielder capable of chipping in with goals and assists.

Billing - no goals so far
Lerma -no goals so far but 2 Cherries career goals
L Cook- no goals so far,no Cherries career goals
Gosling-one goal so far,probably the most capable of scoring
Surman-Fifth choice now but never prolific.

Instead of signing all the Liverpool rejects,i think we should of got Lallana on loan and treated him with kid gloves like with Wilshere.

He ticks all the boxes for me,creative,bright on the ball going forward,and can score and assist.

Has a house down here and is a supporter of the club,so might have a bit more passion than some.

We need a midfielder capable of chipping in with goals and assists.

Billing - no goals so far
Lerma -no goals so far but 2 Cherries career goals
L Cook- no goals so far,no Cherries career goals
Gosling-one goal so far,probably the most capable of scoring
Surman-Fifth choice now but never prolific.

Instead of signing all the Liverpool rejects,i think we should of got Lallana on loan and treated him with kid gloves like with Wilshere.

He ticks all the boxes for me,creative,bright on the ball going forward,and can score and assist.

Has a house down here and is a supporter of the club,so might have a bit more passion than some.
NO! I have enough of Liverpool's cast offs, weve been stitched up too many times.

It has almost become a blessing that it's impossible to get tickets for home games. Been to 3 away games (Villa, Saints, Spurs) and seen half as many goals for as a season ticket holder!

As Neil says, we aren't even knocking on the door. To win a game at the moment we have to have a perfect defensive match, plus take our only clear chance. There is no margin for error. We don't even have half chances because nobody shoots from distance.

The home crowd to be fair have remained patient, but you need a spark to get the atmosphere going. At the moment, the best they get is a Lerma tackle or Rambo catch to get them going.

Reflecting on way home as Eddie was saying how we need to give the home fans more (for the umpteenth interview this year) how few games have been enjoyable. I’ve looked stats up of last fifteen home games and it bears it up.

Wins 3 Draws 5 losses 7 F14 A 21

It includes
Fulham 0-1
Burnley 1-3
Burnley 0-1
Norwich 0-0
Wolves 1-2

Five of the worst games in recent memory Bizarrely the wins were Man U, Everton and Spurs (although the latter had 9 men) and two of them were 1-0

We have scored more than once on only three occasions...

So it is as dull as it seems!! What do people put it down to? My view is we have run out of ideas on the training ground and this counter attacking football to try and protect the defence is strangling us to death.

How do we go back to entertaining football and blitzing teams. We can play what we like away from home but this home form is turgid and very un~Bournemouth and Eddie like.

As I've said on many occasions this is the norm for many teams what we are seeing, I wonder how many clubs would take wins over Spurs, Man Utd and Everton and slightly before the 15, 4-0 over Chelsea, etc.
. We have been spoilt over the last 6-7 years with some incredible football. It is pretty dire at the moment, but while I currently watch Sheffield Wednesday v Bristol City, in good conditions, it's dire, so maybe we should have our feet on the ground a bit more.......

I thought yesterday was fine overall honestly; first half was poor from both (because of Burnley’s Neanderthal tactics), but the second half was much better from us, from a footballing perspective. We did everything bar shoot, which is obviously a problem still.

There were plenty of good things happening, fullbacks and Billing high up the pitch joining attacks, defence mostly solid, Lerma a warrior once again, King full of pace and trickery. The only negatives from our performance would be a lack of quality on the crosses, and Callum Wilson, who was fucking appalling and didn’t get on the end of any of the decent crosses, or run, or stay onside.

And once again, since no one seems to be talking about this, Atkinson stole a certain goal from us for no reason. Stacey was in on goal after a wonderful pass from Billing, and he was free to square it to Wilson. The ball didn’t change direction because of the contact with Atkinson, it was going to Billing anyway, so we didn’t “gain an advantage”. Wilson put in another dire performance, but he would have finally got a goal, which might’ve lifted him out of this rut.

As bad as other parts may have been, I firmly believe that this game is just another example of horrible officiating ruining things. It was “one of those games” at a point in the season where we really needed it to not be.

Basically we badly miss Brooks.

Also players like Fraser and Wilson don’t seem aggressive as we know they can be and head for goal and have a shot.

The Fraser, Wilson understanding is missing so far this season and I personally think Wilson has lost some of his pace which makes a big difference.

At the moment, Fraser, Callum and our midfield are just so predictable. If I can tell what they'll do before they do it, a PL defender sure as hell can.

Down the line to Fraser, cut back, dinky cross to the middle. Cleared. Or breakaway dribble from King, then out to Fraser, dinky cross to middle. Cleared. Rinse and repeat. We don't get to the byline (except Danjuma st spurs), don't produce much through the middle and don't shoot from range. Thank god for our set pieces!

Maybe training has become too much about drills and there's not enough creativity? Maybe counter-attacking football just doesn't provide enough options and relies on the perfect pass? Either way, I miss the passing triangles and the proper overlaps of a couple of seasons ago.

I thought yesterday was fine overall honestly; first half was poor from both (because of Burnley’s Neanderthal tactics), but the second half was much better from us, from a footballing perspective. We did everything bar shoot, which is obviously a problem still.

There were plenty of good things happening, fullbacks and Billing high up the pitch joining attacks, defence mostly solid, Lerma a warrior once again, King full of pace and trickery. The only negatives from our performance would be a lack of quality on the crosses, and Callum Wilson, who was fucking appalling and didn’t get on the end of any of the decent crosses, or run, or stay onside.

And once again, since no one seems to be talking about this, Atkinson stole a certain goal from us for no reason. Stacey was in on goal after a wonderful pass from Billing, and he was free to square it to Wilson. The ball didn’t change direction because of the contact with Atkinson, it was going to Billing anyway, so we didn’t “gain an advantage”. Wilson put in another dire performance, but he would have finally got a goal, which might’ve lifted him out of this rut.

As bad as other parts may have been, I firmly believe that this game is just another example of horrible officiating ruining things. It was “one of those games” at a point in the season where we really needed it to not be.

Excellent post apart from the criticism of Callum Wilson which I don't think is warranted personally.

We looked far better in the second half and what was the major change to influence that? Oh yes, Wilson's introduction for the MIA Lewis Cook.

Our shape looked far better with Wilson leading the line, King was able to continue to drop deep and link play from the wider role, which is what he was trying to do first half when he should have been the number 9.

Wilson battled away and came close to having some half chances. If a goal was going to come yesterday it would have come from him.

Yes he was offside a few times, but that isn't always the striker's fault. How many times did Gosling play the pass-through to him a yard or so later than he wanted etc.

At the moment, Fraser, Callum and our midfield are just so predictable. If I can tell what they'll do before they do it, a PL defender sure as hell can.

Down the line to Fraser, cut back, dinky cross to the middle. Cleared. Or breakaway dribble from King, then out to Fraser, dinky cross to middle. Cleared. Rinse and repeat. We don't get to the byline (except Danjuma st spurs), don't produce much through the middle and don't shoot from range. Thank god for our set pieces!

Maybe training has become too much about drills and there's not enough creativity? Maybe counter-attacking football just doesn't provide enough options and relies on the perfect pass? Either way, I miss the passing triangles and the proper overlaps of a couple of seasons ago.

Agree with all this. Ryan Fraser is a shadow of his former self, limited driving runs at the opposition, no quick through balls because he's not running at pace and looking up.

He looks like someone playing it safe and trying to avoid injury ahead of a big move...

I dont think yesterday was dull.
However, I'm really, really glad our home form allowed Neil to restate his new coach theory. ;-)
I think ‘restating’ my ‘new’ theory might be an oxymoron Rob but will leave that to the grammar police.

I think it’s the best squad we have and I rate Eddie Howe as a manager so coaching is all that’s left for me. Too many players aren’t playing close to their levels, too many aren’t improving and it’s been too long to call it a blip. There’s only one avenue left to look at in my book without changing the manager which I think would be stupid.

It’s less of a theory and more of a question. What’s your thoughts on why we have stalled so much at home?

Excellent post apart from the criticism of Callum Wilson which I don't think is warranted personally.

We looked far better in the second half and what was the major change to influence that? Oh yes, Wilson's introduction for the MIA Lewis Cook.

Our shape looked far better with Wilson leading the line, King was able to continue to drop deep and link play from the wider role, which is what he was trying to do first half when he should have been the number 9.

Wilson battled away and came close to having some half chances. If a goal was going to come yesterday it would have come from him.

Yes he was offside a few times, but that isn't always the striker's fault. How many times did Gosling play the pass-through to him a yard or so later than he wanted etc.

Agree with all this. Ryan Fraser is a shadow of his former self, limited driving runs at the opposition, no quick through balls because he's not running at pace and looking up.

He looks like someone playing it safe and trying to avoid injury ahead of a big move...

I thought Wilson was poor and has been since returning from England duty, not remotely dangerous. We did look better second half but that's not saying much is it really?
I think he's been offside more this season than the last 3 combined.

I thought Wilson was poor and has been since returning from England duty, not remotely dangerous. We did look better second half but that's not saying much is it really?
I think he's been offside more this season than the last 3 combined.

He's not been at his best but I don't think he has been poor. He's struggling in a team that doesn't create chances.

He's had worse games than yesterday, Liverpool and Palace away spring to mind.

But he was also good against Manchester United and second half against Wolves.

;