How do you feel, right now?

Worried. Not surprised. Not distraught.

I echo what others have said here - the club's hierarchy clearly had (and has) no strategy or plan post-Eddie, which makes us 100% dependent on Max's long term commitment to the club. How has Max allowed these amateurs to continue to run things like this?!

We have League One infrastructure, a lower-PL wage bill and an amateur management team. All a cause for concern.

Not really bothered by lack of PL football; no VAR, fewer prima donnas (happy to offload a few more) and more games, and probably wins, than if we'd gone up.

I'm struggling to see what will set us apart from the rest of the League 1/2 pack in a couple of years. It's not the ground, training facilities, youth set up, management or mentality by the looks of it.

Despite all that, I wouldn't see a return to League One as the end of the world (albeit a huge missed opportunity). The trip to the PL and the first couple of years were unbelievable highs, but I'm not really jealous of those clubs going up this year. The last couple of the seasons in the PL were pretty miserable tbh. If nothing else, I feel we've expanded our young fan base and that will count for something once tickets are obtainable.

Various trails of thought bouncing around but can't quite pull it all together into sensible points yet.

I am disappointed not so much in the result yesterday but the circumstances of it. You don't expect to win playoffs, but you don't expect things to go like that from 2-0 up.

Main thing we need now is basically the same thing we needed after relegation last season. That being a clear plan from the club about what happens next.

Last edited:
Worried. Not surprised. Not distraught.

I echo what others have said here - the club's hierarchy clearly had (and has) no strategy or plan post-Eddie, which makes us 100% dependent on Max's long term commitment to the club. How has Max allowed these amateurs to continue to run things like this?!

We have League One infrastructure, a lower-PL wage bill and an amateur management team. All a cause for concern.

Not really bothered by lack of PL football; no VAR, fewer prima donnas (happy to offload a few more) and more games, and probably wins, than if we'd gone up.

I'm struggling to see what will set us apart from the rest of the League 1/2 pack in a couple of years. It's not the ground, training facilities, youth set up, management or mentality by the looks of it.

Despite all that, I wouldn't see a return to League One as the end of the world (albeit a huge missed opportunity). The trip to the PL and the first couple of years were unbelievable highs, but I'm not really jealous of those clubs going up this year. The last couple of the seasons in the PL were pretty miserable tbh. If nothing else, I feel we've expanded our young fan base and that will count for something once tickets are obtainable.
I dont think Max has done much wrong. He pumped the money in which got us to the top flight. Maybe now though he might be considering a bigger overhaul, starting higher up the food chain.

I dont think Max has done much wrong. He pumped the money in which got us to the top flight. Maybe now though he might be considering a bigger overhaul, starting higher up the food chain.
Exactly. That wasn't really meant as a dig at Max, more surprise that someone so successful allows these jokers to run our club, all living off of what Eddie achieved. Maybe he was giving them a season to prove themselves without Eddie and will now act?

Liam - you took the words from my mouth. I stopped moaning about Blake et al some time ago - it became repetitive and boring even to me. Max appointed someone who was hugely under qualified for the job and no understanding of football. He then left him to ‘get on with it’. Who reported on his performance- why the man himself ? Max stuffed up big time - having Div 1 infrastructure is one thing - having Div 2 Management when paying Premier money is quite another.

Disappointed that we lost as never want that. A little concerned at the possible financial implications for the club and some of those lower level staff who will no doubt be part of further cost cutting.

Football wise, I cannot honestly say that I am sorry about not going back to the Premier League. Very pleased that we will (hopefully) get to enjoy goals scored without having to wait for VAR when we can finally go again in person - the latter being the most important thing.

Also, occurs to me to wonder if AFCBLive will be around next year, I imagine that it will but will definitely want that to be confirmed.

I'd be surprised if it is. There was as I understand it a temporary variation to the TV licences that allowed someone other than the original companies to broadcast live in the UK.

In some ways I'm optimistic.

I may be able to get to see live games now but more importantly Max might have made getting back into the PL a minimum for Blake meaning that we fire the elector seat and get in an experienced football CEO.

This might be a blessing in disguise!

A chance to have a proper review and a clear out of all the dead wood and under achievers both on and off the pitch!

For what its worth I don't believe in the play offs! Brentford finished ten points ahead of us after 46 games so I am not quite sure why we should think that we have the right to go up over them!

However! The penalty decision that went against us yesterday seemed very harsh to me, but their manager banged on about not being awarded a penalty in the first game, which perhaps might have influenced the ref in deciding to give them a penalty yesterday?

Like others, I was very surprised that an experienced Prem ref wasn't appointed for such a high profile important game!

In hindsight, was playing Mepham instead of Kelly in central defence a good idea against two pacey Brentford strikers?

Changing the subject slightly, the things that still baffle me are the reasons why Eddie Howe left (he had taken us from minus 17 in the fourth division to five seasons in the Prem!) and also the apparant lack of progress with the training pitches!

Is Max really here for the long term?

Last edited:
This might be a blessing in disguise!

A chance to have a proper review and a clear out of all the dead wood and under achievers both on and off the pitch!

For what its worth I don't believe in the play offs! Brentford finished ten points ahead of us after 46 games so I am not sure why we should think that we have the right to go up over them!

However!, The penalty decision that went against us yesterday seemed very harsh to me but their manager banged on about not being awarded a penalty in the first game which perhaps might have influenced the ref in deciding to give them a penalty yesterday?

Like others, I was very surprised that an experienced Prem ref wasn't appointed for such a high profile impoertant game!

In hindsight, was playing Mepham instead of Kelly in central defence a good idea against two pacey Brentford strikers?

Changing the subject slightly, the things that still baffle me are the reasons why Eddie Howe left (he had taken us from minus 17 in the fourth division to five seasons in the Prem!) and also the apparant lack of progress with the training pitches!

Is Max really here for the long term?
He's been here quite a while already.

Liam - you took the words from my mouth. I stopped moaning about Blake et al some time ago - it became repetitive and boring even to me. Max appointed someone who was hugely under qualified for the job and no understanding of football. He then left him to ‘get on with it’. Who reported on his performance- why the man himself ? Max stuffed up big time - having Div 1 infrastructure is one thing - having Div 2 Management when paying Premier money is quite another.
Crap he may be but how do you know he reported on himself? You seem to suggest Max is pretty stupid and gullible.

All this weeping and wailing, yet bigger clubs than ours have taken years to get back to the top flight. Look at Sunderland!

I'd be surprised if it is. There was as I understand it a temporary variation to the TV licences that allowed someone other than the original companies to broadcast live in the UK.
Not really. EFLiFollow has been around for a while, and each team can opt in or conduct their own broadcasts. AFCB opted out, so they have the infrastructure in place to continue it, as long as the income model is viable.

Having slept on it and although I'm a bit concerned about what may happen over the summer with quantity of departures ect. I'm feeling pretty okay.
Becoming a mid table established championship team not the end of the world and 15 years ago everyone would have bitten your hand off for a chance of that.
The only thing that still stings is how the board probably squandered our best and only chance to invest in the off the field stuff to secure a long term legacy for the club.

Having slept on it and although I'm a bit concerned about what may happen over the summer with quantity of departures ect. I'm feeling pretty okay.
Becoming a mid table established championship team not the end of the world and 15 years ago everyone would have bitten your hand off for a chance of that.
Yeah, you know I was thinking somewhat similar. If by mid-table we are around 10th, we will definitely be in the hunt for the playoffs and makes every game meaningful. Sign me up.

;