How will JT set AFCB this season?

Tinpot Club

Star Player
So far we have no real indication of what JT’s “own ideas” are yet. The first pre-season friendly is often just a case of throwing 11 players on the pitch to build up their match fitness but were there any clues?

In Danjuma’s interview he talked of a new style for this season that they all agreed on. In the 2nd half we made a planned tactical switch to 3 at the back. Tindall’s most successful season as a player for us was in a back 3 in 2000/01.

Looking at our squad we have a shortage of wingers. In a 3-5-2 we wouldn’t need them. Brooks or Stanislas could both play centrally as part of a 3. Danjuma looked good at Benfica as a centre forward.

There’s been little speculation on incomings but it appears Matt Ritchie is our top target. A replacement for Brooks you would think, but where has he played for most of the past few years? Left wing back!

So I think it’s possible we might line up something like this:-

————————Travers——————
——Mepham——Cook——Kelly———
Smith—Billing—Brooks—Lerma—Ritchie
——————Solanke—Danjuma

This would also be very easy to switch to a 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 in game as Kelly would just need to shift to LB and Ritchie move forward.

Whether this swap deal actually goes ahead is probably for a different thread!

If Brooks is still with us this season i would give him a free roll to go and find the ball and be the creative players that we desperately need.
I like that idea. However whatever setup we go with, it has to be flexible enough to allow for some interchangeability of players, and not overly-reliant on any one player.
Brooks is fairly injury-prone and can't be expected to start every game this season (assuming he stays).
On the one hand you need to tailor your system to the strengths of the players you have, but not so much that one injury throws you into a tailspin because it forces a system change.
To sum up, I like the idea of utilizing Brooks' creativity, but I wouldn't "build the team around him" because he's not going to be fit enough for that.

If we are talking of free roles I’d see Brooks and Stanislas as quite interchangeable. Both could be creative behind a front 2 or lone striker.

Brooks has more pace and dribbling ability while Stanislas just has that knack of making something happen and is better defensively. Probably can’t rely on either of them but as long as their injuries don’t coincide, both are great options.

If we are talking of free roles I’d see Brooks and Stanislas as quite interchangeable. Both could be creative behind a front 2 or lone striker.

Brooks has more pace and dribbling ability while Stanislas just has that knack of making something happen and is better defensively. Probably can’t rely on either of them but as long as their injuries don’t coincide, both are great options.
Stan can also play wing back....i'd rather see him there than Smithy...especially in the Championship.

Was thinking about this the other day.
Maybe a 5 -3 -1-1
Travers
Mepham-Cook- Kelly
Smith. Rico
Stanislas- Lerma- Danjuma

Brookes

Solanke

No idea if that would work though!?

Was thinking about this the other day.
Maybe a 5 -3 -1-1
Travers
Mepham-Cook- Kelly
Smith. Rico
Stanislas- Lerma- Danjuma

Brookes

Solanke

No idea if that would work though!?
I like that idea. Maybe a bit light in midfield though.
I'd like to see something like a 5-2-1-2

Travers
Mepham/Simpson S Cook Kelly
Smith/Stacey Rico/Daniels(?)
Billing/Gosling Lerma / L Cook
Brooks/Stan
Danjuma Solanke/Surridge

So Brooks/Stan playing sort of as a 10, just behind the two forwards, with creative freedom.

I'm not sure if any club will meet our £40m for Brooks. He's a brilliant player but seems vulnerable to little knocks. Could that be due to his bout of glandular fever or is he a bit like Stan and partly made of glass?

Were strong at the back and i have faith in travers. We need a few wingers and a striker if wilson and king both leave. Ritchie, Poku and Grant for me.
Truthfully, we would have stayed up had we scored our usual number of goals.
Yes our defending was leaky, but you win by scoring more than the opposition.
Back line is good enough for me; let's start hitting the back of the net more often.

;