Hull City v AFC Bournemouth

At least "It's a chance to go again on Saturday, good to have a game coming up so soon, don't want to dwell on tonight, lads are all hurting in there, didn't expect that, we're determined to right this wrong for all the fans that came tonight, it's all history now" : )

The FA cup's the real one, 2 Wembley appearances in winning that because we're going up automatically, so there'll be no play off final : )

At least "It's a chance to go again on Saturday, good to have a game coming up so soon, don't want to dwell on tonight, lads are all hurting in there, didn't expect that, we're determined to right this wrong for all the fans that came tonight, it's all history now" : )

The FA cup's the real one, 2 Wembley appearances in winning that because we're going up automatically, so there'll be no play off final : )
Loved this ! Yes, time to feel the hurt and “go again” on Saturday :rofl:

You definitely saved yourself a ton of grief by not going to Norwich tonight !
:thumbup:

Pleased Meps seems to have recovered. Wonder if Jeff is fit to play. I think Gav needs a bit of a break. Would be good to start with Pearson and Jeff. Billing needs to try to link up with Brooks as Meps won't be able to...

Looking For A Hat-Trick Of Away League Wins

After the defeat at Carrow Road in the League Cup, the Cherries are on their travels again this time up to Kingston upon Hull to play Hull City (the Tigers) in the Championship. AFCB will be looking to make it a hat-trick of away Championship wins, after their victories at the Nottingham Forest and Birmingham City grounds. The game at their stadium starts at 3 pm on Saturday.

The Tigers manager is Grant McCann, he joined them in June 2019 when they were in the Championship. At the end of 2019 with 25 games played Hull City were in mid table (12th) with 36 points. They started off the New Year like they left the old year with a win. Then things started to go wrong and they lost four league games in a row. This was followed with a D L D, then they lost another five games in a row, then followed a D W and then to finish the season with six defeats. The second half of the season’s 21 games yielded 9 points and the Tigers were relegated to League 1 at the foot of the Championship table.

Grant McCann survived this to fight another day and that is exactly what his side did the following season. At the end of December 2020, City were sitting in second place after 18 games with 34 points. In the following 28 games of the New Year, McCann’s Hull City side gained another 55 points and his side finished as Champions of League 1 with 89 points. The faith shown in their manager paid off and the club were back into the Championship after one season away.

This season so far in the Championship they had a good start winning away at Preston 1-4. This didn’t last and in their next two games at home they lost. First 0-3 against Queens Park Rangers and the next game against Derby County they went down to the only goal of the game. The most recent game was away against recently relegated from the Premier League Fulham, it finished 2-0.

Last time we played Hull City away was in the Premier league in January 2017. The home side won 3-1. Their goals came from Abel Hernandez with a brace and an own goal by Tyronne Mings. Our goal which came early in the game in the 3rd minute from the penalty spot was converted by Junior Stanislas.

In the league away at Hull, AFCB have W 3, D 4, L 14.
All fixtures between the two teams, AFCB have W 12, D 11, L 19.

Hull City Team News
They will be missing through injury four players, George Honeyman their influential player in midfield last season, he had 13 assists to his name and 4 goals. Their leading scorer 22-year-old Mallik Wilks who scored 19 goals and had 8 assists, Ryan Longman and Alfie Jones. George Moncur will be sitting out his last three game ban after being red carded against Queens Park Rangers.

Hull City Player To Watch
The 31-year-old experienced Northern Ireland striker Josh Magennis second leading scorer last season with 18 goals and 5 assists. Another is their young 20-year-old left winger Keane Lewis-Potter, scored 13 goals and also had 5 assists last season.

AFCB Team News
On the injury front Steve Cook returned from injury for his first game since last season. Jefferson Lerma will be available again after his six game ban. No News at the moment on any other players returning from injury.

AFCB Player To Watch
Dominic Solanke will be back for this game after being rested for the Cup game. He will be looking to add to his three goals already this season in the league.

Tough place t go to but 1 win in 4 so far indicates they are more than there for the taking on Saturday... I'd fully expect Jeff to be on the bench at least.

I'd personally go with a. similar line up to last Saturday, but with maybe Pearson for Marcondes in there alongside Kilkenny...

Blackpool very quickly worked out that Kilkenny was our route out from the back, so hopefully Pearson will add some flexibility there...

However, The two CBs really need to up their game (whoever they are) and be a lot quicker and braver getting the ball out from between them. So many times both Marcondes and Kilkenny could have received the ball last week and they opted to just turn and go back to each other... Quick, pacy distribution is what's needed...

Long trip to 'Ull on the 'morrow.( edit tommorows 'morrow)
Big game this...if we wanna stay with the illustrious ' big two'...those massive runaway yoyo clubs..at WBA and Fulham.

Hull: Along with Middlesboro' , the friendliest places in Yorkshire. The mainly gregarious folk are similar to Scousers in character, than to the somewhat banal types you tend to find in Leeds and Sheffield etc.

Kingston upon Hull is now a luxurious place, in the Worlds top ten cities by my reckoning...when I lived there in the 80's it was bleak and uninspiring ( my 1st marriage to a Hull lady didn't endure past 10 years)..but its been transformed by one the most astute and savvy Councils in Britain... and allowing the club to sort a decent stadium on an old derelict cricket ground patch.
But we can win there !..as we did in 63-64, a 4 - 3 thriller..Coughlin scored I think and maybe Bumstead..not sure.
I'm going for 4 - 2 this time...I almost got it right as a 14 year old iirc, going for 4 - 2 , my eternally favourite scoreline... and im confident this time !

Last edited:
Long trip to 'Ull on the 'morrow.( edit tommorows 'morrow)
Big game this...if we wanna stay with the illustrious ' big two'...those massive runaway yoyo clubs..at WBA and Fulham.

Hull: Along with Middlesboro' , the friendliest places in Yorkshire. The mainly gregarious folk are similar to Scousers in character, than to the somewhat banal types you tend to find in Leeds and Sheffield etc.

Kingston upon Hull is now a luxurious place, in the Worlds top ten cities by my reckoning...when I lived there in the 80's it was bleak and uninspiring ( my 1st marriage to a Hull lady didn't endure past 10 years)..but its been transformed by one the most astute and savvy Councils in Britain... and allowing the club to sort a decent stadium on an old derelict cricket ground patch.
But we can win there !..as we did in 63-64, a 4 - 3 thriller..Coughlin scored I think and maybe Bumstead..not sure.
I'm going for 4 - 2 this time...I almost got it right as a 14 year old iirc, going for 4 - 2 , my eternally favourite scoreline... and im confident this time !

I know you're big on geography.... so Boro is as much in Yorkshire, as Bormuff is in Hampshire ;)

(altho this is a can of worms.... wish I hadnt mentioned it)

Last edited:
Tough place t go to but 1 win in 4 so far indicates they are more than there for the taking on Saturday... I'd fully expect Jeff to be on the bench at least.

I'd personally go with a. similar line up to last Saturday, but with maybe Pearson for Marcondes in there alongside Kilkenny...

Blackpool very quickly worked out that Kilkenny was our route out from the back, so hopefully Pearson will add some flexibility there...

However, The two CBs really need to up their game (whoever they are) and be a lot quicker and braver getting the ball out from between them. So many times both Marcondes and Kilkenny could have received the ball last week and they opted to just turn and go back to each other... Quick, pacy distribution is what's needed...
Agree with all of this. I’d stick with Kilkenny but give him some help - either Pearson or Lerma could do that. At centre back, I like Rossi and he’s a great prospect, but if Cahill is fit then I think I’d start him alongside Kelly.

I know you're big on geography.... so Boro is as much in Yorkshire, as Bormuff is in Hampshire ;)

Ask the people in the place, ...they'll tell ye different..oh yes..they don't like being classed in with Geordie's and Mackems!
And...and..
Many B'muff people can't pouch being latched with Dosset...its all another non - exact science..if you can get away from rigid Forum thinking.. :hmmm: and ;) I dunno why this blinkin' emoji always wink wiv his left eye...

Not sure I follow the various suggestions that Killenny needs help and/or or that the two central midfielders need to drop deeper to receive the ball etc. That would (it seems to me) defeat the whole point of the system. Playing this way places confidence in Kilkenny being able to receive the ball and do something with it, even when shadowed by an opposition player. He’s been pretty good at it so far (albeit still been robbed on a number of occasions). When it seems to have gone horribly wrong is when Kilkenny is being shadowed / closed down quickly by two players. The response to that can’t be for one of our midfielders to drop deeper. All that does is congest the midfield and drag another opposition player up the pitch. If there are two players shadowing Kilkenny to stop him receiving the ball it’s inevitable that there’s space elsewhere. The centre backs need to be braver - stepping into midfield with the ball / finding a decent pass elsewhere (or, as we’ve been doing, being patient, keeping the ball and ignoring the inane shouts of “get it forward”). An opposition team doubling up on Kilkenny is leaving Brooks one on one.... we’ve just got to get the ball to him.

Agree with all of this. I’d stick with Kilkenny but give him some help - either Pearson or Lerma could do that. At centre back, I like Rossi and he’s a great prospect, but if Cahill is fit then I think I’d start him alongside Kelly.

Think Kilkenny and Zeno have had so much game time recently. Resting them a bit (at least for the first half) will do them good if possible. I would maybe play sort of 4-4-2 against Hull but with Solanke a little deeper so he can link up with Brooks.

Travers
Meps Cook Kelly JZ
Pearson
Brooks Billing Anthony
Solanke
Saydee

;