I really don't get it.

The thing I found distasteful was all this Sala morbidity. He never even played for them, hadn't even trained with them. Yes it's a terrible accident, and I feel for the families of both him and the pilot. But I don't see any excuse for giant posters like this which I saw in the crowd

2.40913520.jpg

This type of thing has become a bit theatrical, expected and delivered with the necessary amount of schmaltz. It is what it is, it gets applied to every disaster/tragedy. I'm sure part of it is entirely heartfelt .... Warnock looked positively shattered by the event. Then there is the part that aligns with the "look at me" mentality. I don't begrudge them it. I wonder if one day, in response to some truly monumental event that I frankly hope never comes, we would see players from both teams linking arms in solidarity. I seem to recall seeing it done in the past few years .... maybe in tribute to Hillsborough?? Something spontaneous certainly trumps something orchestrated.

Cardiff are a team known for sitting back and trying to soak up pressure, and are terrible on the ball.

Our best results of the season have been pacy, counterattacking displays.

We start with the intention of dominating possession against a team that parks the bus, with no players in midfield that have the guile to break through.

This was immediately obvious, and was not addressed until the 60th minute. Except it wasn’t. We made like for like changes, carried on tapping it around and watched crosses be cleared ad infinitum.

I truly don’t understand what Eddie was thinking with the starting lineup. I’m not “trolling”; it’s valid f***ing criticism.
Couldn't agree more. We should have packed out the midfield. How can you play possession football with Gosling and Surman as a midfield two, and 2 full backs who overlap inverted wingers who burst forward with pace and are both very direct, 2 strikers who are good at doing the same thing so are easy to track. This formation with this starting line-up has counter attacking football written all over it, so why did we play possession football?

Nah, can't blame Boruc, second was just everyone still asleep from half time, and waiting for a flag that never came
Just saw it again, agreed nothing he could’ve done. The angle I saw earlier was just from the side so couldn’t see the whole picture.

The thing I found distasteful was all this Sala morbidity. He never even played for them, hadn't even trained with them. Yes it's a terrible accident, and I feel for the families of both him and the pilot. But I don't see any excuse for giant posters like this which I saw in the crowd

2.40913520.jpg
I know what has happened is a terrible tragedy but, they are milking it a bit aren't they? There'll be a statue outside their stadium soon.

Today we witnessed life without Brooksy with a lack of defence splitting passes to our strikers. Of course we will still hopefully have our other playmaker Lewis C, but without them the future for our club would be bleak. Also worrying today was a lack of clinical finishing in the final third and our awful tendency to keep giving the ball away.

Indeed, it was a game that needed vision and running.

Without a Brooks or an in form Stanislas or Lewis Cook, we’re missing the passing between the lines and instead rely on the running of Fraser or Ibe, something that isn’t going to break down 11 men sitting deep behind the ball.

We also missed Wilson. For all of King’s plus points he can be easily nullified by those tactics whilst Wilson would offer different options and look for different spaces.

2.40913520.jpg

I completely 100% disagree. If that was Jefferson Lerma last summer, would we not be doing the same? He had signed for Cardiff, he was a Cardiff player, he was their record signing, he was on his way to train with his new team, he would have probably played last night. An awful awful tragedy and I don’t think one game full of memorials is ‘milking it’ as mentioned on another post on this thread. Not forgetting the pilot as well.

Another thing, you can't do pacy counterattacks against a team that doesn't want to commit players forward. The way to play these teams is to first of all ensure you don't give stupid early goals away, if you achieve that there is a chance the opposition will come forward a bit more later on and give you some space.

I agree. Cardiff needed a win today so we should have let them come on to us. We played into their hands as we did at wolves.

I’m not sure whether it is an attitude problem, but I prefer to think we had a very tough game holding very little possession on Wednesday, and Cardiff had an extra day to recover from playing Tuesday, so we looked tired.

Same as the away games v Burnley, Wolves, Newcastle and probably Everton in my eyes, we lost the game due to defensive mistakes. We weren’t at our best in these games but were beaten by teams not playing any better than us, we concede a sloppy goal and then our opponents sit deep and that doesn’t suit our style. We also seem to have lost our knack of coming from behind this season.

If we had drawn or even won a couple of these games, which certainly we were capable of, we would be a very secure 7th right now.

The frustrating thing for me is we have had a dreadful run largely playing 4-4-2. Three flat lines making us static, easy to stop and easy to play through. Yes, I know we have picked up the three home wins against West Ham, Huddersfield and Brighton but that’s not enough for a club that is established and that has spent the money in three seasons we have.

Injury forced our hand against Chelsea and Eddie played a 4-2-3-1 with Brooks sat on their playmaker when we didn’t have the ball and offering us movement between the lines when we had it. We gave a top six team their worst defeat in over twenty years.

Do you think that should have registered. Short of Brooks he could have used Ibe or Stan in that unlocking role. He even could have played Lerma and freed Gosling to be an unorthodox number ten arriving late in the box which he has done before.

But no. He put together another flat three lines selection with two similar strikers making the same runs and nothing dropping deep and playing through the defence. And we went back to the form we have suffered recently as a result. When we have a fit Wilson, Solanke and King the chances of us seeing Brooks in the position he murdered Chelsea in are zero. It will keep us inconsistent too.

2 goals plus in each of the last 8 away defeats says it all........pretty to watch, easy on the eye...but no backbone or alternatives....I await the criticism

I've heard it called ' Designer Grief'...it goes along parallel with a lot other celebrity stuff. Only one minutes silence is required on one day, at one ground, or in this case two grounds Cardiff and Nantes. It's a part of the Mass Communications Era we live in! And yet also in this era people desecrate War graves and memorial statues of heroic people that saved lives.
When ' Dianer' was killed... I mean all the stuff about ' People's Princess' ...it went way over normality innit from the chavotocracy, people that didn't even know her, fuelled by the Press!

Last edited:
Glad I wasn’t the only one that thought the whole “ forever a bluebird “ thing was a bit OTT .The age we live in I guess .[/QUOTE
The frustrating thing for me is we have had a dreadful run largely playing 4-4-2. Three flat lines making us static, easy to stop and easy to play through. Yes, I know we have picked up the three home wins against West Ham, Huddersfield and Brighton but that’s not enough for a club that is established and that has spent the money in three seasons we have.

Injury forced our hand against Chelsea and Eddie played a 4-2-3-1 with Brooks sat on their playmaker when we didn’t have the ball and offering us movement between the lines when we had it. We gave a top six team their worst defeat in over twenty years.

Do you think that should have registered. Short of Brooks he could have used Ibe or Stan in that unlocking role. He even could have played Lerma and freed Gosling to be an unorthodox number ten arriving late in the box which he has done before.

But no. He put together another flat three lines selection with two similar strikers making the same runs and nothing dropping deep and playing through the defence. And we went back to the form we have suffered recently as a result. When we have a fit Wilson, Solanke and King the chances of us seeing Brooks in the position he murdered Chelsea in are zero. It will keep us inconsistent too.
Eight straight away defeats and only three goals scored in that time - clearly not good enough if we have genuine desires to push up the table and compete for that Europa place .
Poor yet again when faced with a team who don’t come onto us - we really do need to be able to change our tactics to deal with it ...

Last edited:
I’m not sure whether it is an attitude problem, but I prefer to think we had a very tough game holding very little possession on Wednesday, and Cardiff had an extra day to recover from playing Tuesday, so we looked tired.

Same as the away games v Burnley, Wolves, Newcastle and probably Everton in my eyes, we lost the game due to defensive mistakes. We weren’t at our best in these games but were beaten by teams not playing any better than us, we concede a sloppy goal and then our opponents sit deep and that doesn’t suit our style. We also seem to have lost our knack of coming from behind this season.

If we had drawn or even won a couple of these games, which certainly we were capable of, we would be a very secure 7th right now.

Fraser, king, clyne, Smith, Cook all looked off the pace, weds night looked like it took its toll. This is where we should resting players, not in the cups. The arguement against is can you trust ibe, mousett? Maybe only Daniels?

The first goal was crucial for us to be able to counter and that set the tone.

Fraser, king, clyne, Smith, Cook all looked off the pace, weds night looked like it took its toll. This is where we should resting players, not in the cups. The arguement against is can you trust ibe, mousett? Maybe only Daniels?

The first goal was crucial for us to be able to counter and that set the tone.

When was the last time those players looked on the pace when we weren't counter attacking? We've struggled to break teams down for a while now.

;