I really don't get it.

I think there is some merit to the “it all went according to script” argument. Obviously it wasn’t that crass but after we gifted them that totally unnecessary early penalty and lead I felt sure that no way was the ref going to give us anything which might get us back into the game. That would have ruined the “fairytale ending”. Annoying, but it was bound to happen with all the sentimentality flying around. Cookie’s moment of madness effectively sealed our fate. And we always struggle to score when teams sit back and let us have all of the ball.
Still, on the bright side we remain the nicest, most generous team in the league. Teams can always count on us to do the “right thing”.
We move on to the next one, hopefully a simple game of football without any other agenda surrounding it !
:utc:

I completely 100% disagree. If that was Jefferson Lerma last summer, would we not be doing the same? He had signed for Cardiff, he was a Cardiff player, he was their record signing, he was on his way to train with his new team, he would have probably played last night. An awful awful tragedy and I don’t think one game full of memorials is ‘milking it’ as mentioned on another post on this thread. Not forgetting the pilot as well.

I guess the way I see it is how will the people who will actually be in mourning feel?

If someone you're really close to dies on the way to their first day at work, would it feel appropriate for their colleagues who never met them to hold an all night vigil and build shrines in the workplace to them?

I think if it was a Bournemouth player, I'd pay some respect but I don't think I'd be printing a 50 foot banner taking about how he's forever in my heart.

When was the last time those players looked on the pace when we weren't counter attacking? We've struggled to break teams down for a while now.
Absolutely right imo.... we have developed into a highly efficient counter attacking side for reasons that are well known to us ....the problem with that of course is that you can't set up to counter teams like Cardiff from the start...the plan yesterday would have been to control the ball and frustrate them into eventually coming at us.....that plan went out the window as soon as we gifted them the opening goal unfortunately.
Yesterdays result was nothing to do with formation or tactics just poor defending.

A few thoughts:
1. Neither Solanke nor King made penetrating runs behind the defense, as Wilson does -- even when he doesn't end up getting the ball. At the very least this opens up space for us, at best it creates high-value scoring chances. This never happened once.
2. We really did miss Brooks, or at least someone to play those balls in for our attackers. On the other hand, maybe it's a chicken-and-egg problem and the attackers weren't making the runs so they didn't get the balls? I wonder if Hyndman could do this? Also, I think Ibe should have come on earlier as about the only penetration we created came from him. (he played some juicy crosses that were totally ignored - see above)
3. The handball thing was a complete fluke and totally changed the game. So in spite of all the above, we probably would have won with the setup Eddie used had Cookie not had one of his weird brain farts at the worst possible moment.

I've heard it called ' Designer Grief'...it goes along parallel with a lot other celebrity stuff. Only one minutes silence is required on one day, at one ground, or in this case two grounds Cardiff and Nantes. It's a part of the Mass Communications Era we live in! And yet also in this era people desecrate War graves and memorial statues of heroic people that saved lives.
When ' Dianer' was killed... I mean all the stuff about ' People's Princess' ...it went way over normality innit from the chavotocracy, people that didn't even know her, fuelled by the Press!
That was the start of it , when
Fraser, king, clyne, Smith, Cook all looked off the pace, weds night looked like it took its toll. This is where we should resting players, not in the cups. The arguement against is can you trust ibe, mousett? Maybe only Daniels?

The first goal was crucial for us to be able to counter and that set the tone.
There clearly is an attitude problem within the team and Eddie mentions it in his post match interview - “ how can we go from Wednesday night to this “ “ the mental side of things is a problem “ .

;