Ian St John RIP

RIP Ian St John well respected footballer and an iconic character from my younger days of watching football programmes on TV when we only had three channels!

I remember once he was co-commentating on a match at Old Trafford which the home side had dominated and had won comfortably. When asked to name his man of the match he awarded it to a player from the defeated team as he couldn't bring himself to give it to a United player. They then announced his decision over the tannoy to howls of derision. Classic stuff.

I remember once he was co-commentating on a match at Old Trafford which the home side had dominated and had won comfortably. When asked to name his man of the match he awarded it to a player from the defeated team as he couldn't bring himself to give it to a United player. They then announced his decision over the tannoy to howls of derision. Classic stuff.
Great story ! Love it.

Jimmy Greaves son talking.

My fondest memory is of the fact that the two of them were such good friends. The job they did wasn’t a job to either of them and it worked because it was two friends who came together, two ex-football colleagues, ex-players, who understood the game and just generally had fun and a laugh.

It wasn’t work for them. They turned up on a Saturday afternoon to talk about the game they both loved and fell about laughing for a couple of hours. That’s the underlying memory.

“The great thing about Saint & Greavsie was that a lot of people who didn’t necessarily follow football got into it because of the show.

“The show almost became more important to watch than some of the games.

“It became quite iconic and there are a number of people come up to dad now and say, ‘I never saw you play but I absolutely loved Saint & Greavsie.

“Dad and Ian were as popular on the show as they were in their playing days.

“There were people out there who realised Ian St John and Jimmy Greaves were such good players because they’d seen the show and then researched who they were.”

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/jimmy-greaves-broke-down-tears-23590822

;