If anybody is wondering

Waz afcb

Fans' Favourite
Why business has been slow so far this summer. See this tweet from Jacob Tanswell of Dorset Live:

Everton have completed the signing of Asmir Begovic. The move shows a clear desire for #AFCB to keep balancing the books after 113 per cent of income was spent on wages in the 2019/20 season. Begovic on a wage comparable to #SaintsFC's top earner meant a solution was needed.

There have been some bemoaning the lack of activity despite the fact we are still in receipt of parachute payments. The reality is that our wage bill was unsustainable last year and the parachute payments drop by 25m this year. Just to put that into context at 75k per week, getting Begovic off of the books saves us 3.6m on the wage bill. Despite offloading our highest paid player it still doesn’t come close to narrowing the gap between revenue and expenditure. This is why you have not seen a lot of action thus far, and you won’t unless we start to make some sales.

Why business has been slow so far this summer. See this tweet from Jacob Tanswell of Dorset Live:

Everton have completed the signing of Asmir Begovic. The move shows a clear desire for #AFCB to keep balancing the books after 113 per cent of income was spent on wages in the 2019/20 season. Begovic on a wage comparable to #SaintsFC's top earner meant a solution was needed.

There have been some bemoaning the lack of activity despite the fact we are still in receipt of parachute payments. The reality is that our wage bill was unsustainable last year and the parachute payments drop by 25m this year. Just to put that into context at 75k per week, getting Begovic off of the books saves us 3.6m on the wage bill. Despite offloading our highest paid player it still doesn’t come close to narrowing the gap between revenue and expenditure. This is why you have not seen a lot of action thus far, and you won’t unless we start to make some sales.
113% of income spent on wages on the 19/20 season I would say with the amount of players who have left and relagation clauses that would of dropped alot be interesting to see what we spent last season and what we will spend this season this season compared to then

113% of income spent on wages on the 19/20 season I would say with the amount of players who have left and relagation clauses that would of dropped alot be interesting to see what we spent last season and what we will spend this season this season compared to then
True, I misread it tbh and thought that he was referring to the 20/21 season. Would be interesting to know what the figure was for last season.

I thought we balanced the books at the start of last season......80m worth of player sales....
Callum....Ake.....Fraser....Daniels .....Franno.... Ramsdale.....all off the wage bill.

That

was probably for the the first parachute payment and now more is needed.
Yeah I think there's about 10 m difference between first and second year parachute payments.....next season is the big drop off.....with King ... Callum ....Ake and Bego now gone I"d say there's only Lerma left of the big contracts.

Not sure what FFP guidlines are in place these days and how it works with Max investing his money, but that probably plays a significant part - particularly considering the relatively small stadium, amount of merchandise a club our size can sell (last part probably not significant in the scheme of things, but still).

Each season we don't go up, things will get tougher and tougher to justify large wage bills compared to income and if Max can't/won't inject more and more to maintain our outgoings, which must be up there as one of the highest in this division?

Probably clever ways of getting around this to a degree, but we must be at a point where no matter how good our accountants/legal team is, justifying 10+ players earning 20k+ a week with our income will be difficult to massage...

Yeah I think there's about 10 m difference between first and second year parachute payments.....next season is the big drop off.....with King ... Callum ....Ake and Bego now gone I"d say there's only Lerma left of the big contracts.

I can’t imagine Solanke and Danjuma are on small salaries for a club our size, but certainly the next tier down on Bego, Wilson, Ake etc.

We know Danjuma will be out the door soon enough, think it’s pretty obvious that each year we don’t get promoted until the parachute payments stop we will see a trimming of the highest earning players to reflect the fall in income.

Be interesting to see where some of the other players like Kelly, Brooks, Lewis Cook fit into the scheme of things if we don’t go up.

I can’t imagine Solanke and Danjuma are on small salaries for a club our size, but certainly the next tier down on Bego, Wilson, Ake etc.

We know Danjuma will be out the door soon enough, think it’s pretty obvious that each year we don’t get promoted until the parachute payments stop we will see a trimming of the highest earning players to reflect the fall in income.

Be interesting to see where some of the other players like Kelly, Brooks, Lewis Cook fit into the scheme of things if we don’t go up.

have to be around 30k I'd have thought - could be 40kish. no doubt large transfter income from selling those will help.

hopefully the manager will click and get the best out of the players this season...

as good as begovic was last year, good move getting rid of him as value we're getting out of circa 70k for a keeper at this level is debatable - assuming scouts have identified someone who is as good, nearly as good etc. If money was no object, no ffp, then of course it would have been preferential to keep begovic.

always thought clubs like derby were crazy signing rooney. yes he's a top player (or at least was) and would get into most sides, but you;re not getting bnest value for your money and squad by having someone on that wage. not like he can single handedly get them promoted and I doubt shirt sales with his name on the back helps the cause to mitigate his wage...

I'd rather see highly rated, hungry younger players come in on a fraction of the wage. Not that that guarantees success, but thats part of the management, scouting and boards job - to get balance between quality, potential, hunger etc and make them gel. It's not like we're looking to pay peanuts now compared to other clubs at this level.

Last edited:
Must admit I thought parachute payments had dropped to two years, but that seems to just be the clubs who spend one year in the top flight.

So for us parachute payments drop about £5 million for next season in comparison to 20/21 season and then in the third year drop another £20million.

So the 4th season there’s nothing, so we lose out on another £15million.

...still some 'fat' to trim from the squad, but hopefully we will move on Lerma, BIlling, Danjuma and maybe Rico to release some funds?

If we can hold on to Brooks, Lewis Cook, Kelly, Mepham, Stacey, and Solanke we will still have something in the tank!

Alongside Steve Cook,Adam Smith and Pearson we can have some confidence...

have to be around 30k I'd have thought - could be 40kish. no doubt large transfter income from selling those will help.

hopefully the manager will click and get the best out of the players this season...

as good as begovic was last year, good move getting rid of him as value we're getting out of circa 70k for a keeper at this level is debatable - assuming scouts have identified someone who is as good, nearly as good etc. If money was no object, no ffp, then of course it would have been preferential to keep begovic.

always thought clubs like derby were crazy signing rooney. yes he's a top player (or at least was) and would get into most sides, but you;re not getting bnest value for your money and squad by having someone on that wage. not like he can single handedly get them promoted and I doubt shirt sales with his name on the back helps the cause to mitigate his wage...

I'd rather see highly rated, hungry younger players come in on a fraction of the wage. Not that that guarantees success, but thats part of the management, scouting and boards job - to get balance between quality, potential, hunger etc and make them gel. It's not like we're looking to pay peanuts now compared to other clubs at this level.
The longer term choice is to develop first team ready players and sell on the cream of the crop each season. Difficult to stay in the PL but each season there is a relegation or promotion battle.

Remember we signed Begovic from Chelsea, where he will have been on big money. While he came for first team football, he wouldn't have wanted to take a big drop in salary either. So it's not surprise that he was on big money for us, we knew last season he was our highest earner.

At that time we signed AB, we needed to start the process of replacing the legend that was the other AB, Boruc. No easy shoes to fill (remember that crossover season where we had that running debate on here with Boruc's agent or whoever it was).

Had Begovic's form over recent years been a little better I doubt we'd have kept him last season, but as it was we did and he was excellent.

I'm slightly disappointed not to get a few quid in by way of a fee, but I can totally understand the need to cut Begs loose. There are savings we need to make, and having a lot of salary tied up in a goalkeeper isn't a very efficient use of funds.

I think we need to dip into the market if we can, Travers has a little way to go yet. A season long loan (as we intended for Woodman) is cheaper. would give Travers a season more to develop (perhaps on loan himself), and signals to him that he''s still in our long term thoughts.

That

was probably for the the first parachute payment and now more is needed.
Mostyn pretty much stated this in his interview with Kris, although leaning more to player sales. Reasonable to me. I think they have done pretty well, from an untenable position. We shouldnt have gone to thatvlevel in the first place, but it is what it is, and we are still in far better shape than we have been for the majority of seasons since I started in the mid 70s. Getting closer to balancing books, with a squad the bookmakers make the best outside of the relegared clubs, is far better than it could have been. Anthony in particular could also be a star this season, but a couple of those younger players could come through. I am really looking forward to this season for one.

Mostyn pretty much stated this in his interview with Kris, although leaning more to player sales. Reasonable to me. I think they have done pretty well, from an untenable position. We shouldnt have gone to thatvlevel in the first place, but it is what it is, and we are still in far better shape than we have been for the majority of seasons since I started in the mid 70s. Getting closer to balancing books, with a squad the bookmakers make the best outside of the relegared clubs, is far better than it could have been. Anthony in particular could also be a star this season, but a couple of those younger players could come through. I am really looking forward to this season for one.
We could really do with a couple of these youth lads proving themselves this season as decent Championship players. Firstly for our own squad purposes and as a boon for our youth setup, but also as assets to the club which we may need in future!

;