Jonathan Woodgate

Do you want Woodgate in charge first game of next season?

• Yes

Votes: 102 49.5%
  • No

Votes: 104 50.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
By late January, AFCB was a shambles. Graeme Jones couldn't wait to get away, the squad appeared to be disjointed and fractious, Jason Tindall was flailing around incoherently with increasing desperation, and results on the pitch went from bad to worse.

Into this chaos stepped Jonathan Woodgate as the new No. 2, a man with a less than impressive managerial pedigree, yet within a matter of days, following yet another disastrous home defeat, Tindall was sacked and Woodgate was in charge.

Few of us Cherries fans greeted Woodgate's arrival with enthusiasm. Most of us were already resigned to the season petering out, missing out on the play-offs and seeing the squad disintegrate in summer.

In terms of personal style, Woodgate could hardly have been more different to Tindall. Whereas Tindall always had a touch of Cockney flash about him, Woodgate was down-to-earth, no-nonsense Yorkshireness personified. Tindall was given to long rambling statements, Woodgate was terse - dour, even.

Quietly, Woodgate got down to work, and after a bumpy start, he began to slowly forge a new AFCB identity. The team seemed more settled, in particular, Billing and Danjuma began to perform consistently to their potential, and AFCB looked like a happier team. Players remembered how to smile and celebrate goals again. There was a renewed sense of purpose.

And now, here we are in mid-April in a position that few of us could have imagined just a few short weeks ago. Five wins on the trot, firmly back in the play-off positions, and charging towards the season's conclusion on a wave of optimism.

So, well done Jonathan Woodgate, and well done to the two guys you brought in, Gary O'Neill and Joe Jordan. You took a club that seemed to be falling apart back from the brink - and we are serious contenders once again.

Cheers Jonathan, you're doing great.

...fair play to JW he has had to take on a steep learning curve and get the squad to trust his ways etc.
None of us can complain as we are set for a play off push which will bring end of season excitement to us all...and who knows we might even win the damn thing and spend the summer freting about this player and that player. I do hope that IF the unimaginable happens then Jonathan Woodgate would be rewarded with a chance to pit his northern gritty wits against the likes of Pep and Ole...

It would be some story and would trump our previous promotion IMO...as we would have done it the hard way with all the aftermath of turmoil that has been our season!

Good post. Credit where it's due. We finally look like a team again. Not yet the well-oiled machine that is Norwich right now, but I doubt the other teams in play-off places will be keen to play us. I'm laissez-faire about the Norwich game on Sat, feels like a free hit, but it's important we try to stamp our authority on Brentford when we play them.

Good post. Credit where it's due. We finally look like a team again. Not yet the well-oiled machine that is Norwich right now, but I doubt the other teams in play-off places will be keen to play us. I'm laissez-faire about the Norwich game on Sat, feels like a free hit, but it's important we try to stamp our authority on Brentford when we play them.
Norwich have played a more consistent team then us .they are top for a reason so fair play to them.
For me rotation is important but we over rotated.
Weirdly the Lewis cook injury has been part of a blessing as the midfielders are playing more regularly week in week out and less chopping and changing .
Before, one bad game and we would change the whole thing

[QUOTE="Garbo, post: 496295, member: 60"

It would be some story and would trump our previous promotion IMO...as we would have done it the hard way with all the aftermath of turmoil that has been our season!
[/QUOTE]

Couldn't disagree more!

The last promotion was a fairytale! Witnessed by thousands, played with style with drama and tension through out.

This isn't.

...fair play to JW he has had to take on a steep learning curve and get the squad to trust his ways etc.
None of us can complain as we are set for a play off push which will bring end of season excitement to us all...and who knows we might even win the damn thing and spend the summer freting about this player and that player. I do hope that IF the unimaginable happens then Jonathan Woodgate would be rewarded with a chance to pit his northern gritty wits against the likes of Pep and Ole...

As you say your opinion, but really ?? Blimey

It's interesting to look at some of the comments from Boro supporters from when Woody got the job. They were convinced it brilliant news for their playoff push. :rofl:

You cannot really compare the EH promotion with a JW led one.
EH' s was a long developed ride with a fierce desire from a unique bunch of players..

JW's is a short blast from nowhere with a team that needed to be shook out of lethargy...but he would go into next season with the experience of playing at the higher level.. and with less hype attached to his persona...and with stronger and more critical people around him...some that will challenge him if things get desperate and he needs to make radical changes..
How successful he would be is down to many factors !
Then there is that old question of whether the club upgrades its ground and facilities for a serious punt at being a long-term serious entity in English Footballs top tier!

Last edited:
Norwich have played a more consistent team then us .they are top for a reason so fair play to them.
For me rotation is important but we over rotated.
Weirdly the Lewis cook injury has been part of a blessing as the midfielders are playing more regularly week in week out and less chopping and changing .
Before, one bad game and we would change the whole thing
I was thinking the same thing last night. Maybe Lewis being out of the equation is a blessing in disguise. Just didn't want to come on here and be the first to say it so I'm pleased you got in first.

;