It's the old "Why don't we leave a player up defending corners?" question.

You wouldn't if you think there is better average outcome of pulling everyone back. So much is based on stats, but not sure if the stats are not biased by almost no-one not doing it.

However, reading into your question, I think the more players you pull back, the more they push forward, which creates more chaos in the box and greater chance of errors and penalties.

I am believer that you are better to stick two up, one on each touchline to force them to pull at least 2 or 3 back, and a few outside box. More room for the keeper to claim and for defenders to avoid getting blocked off.

We all know that there are some players you would want out of our box in any case, as they are adept at giving away penalties when it gets tight or like to dribble out of the box.

I asked this queston some years ago. Apparently Pep started it at the beggining of his managerial career and because of the success stats of all 11 players staying back to defend many others have followed.

Still don't like it though!

I have often questioned the thinking behind this, perhaps the more crowded the box is the less space there is for attackers to operate in? Anyhow it’s far from the biggest issue we have at the moment.

I'd love to see us leave 10 outside the box, mainly on the halfway line, just to see what the opposition did.

Although, thinking about it, you can't be offside at a corner can you?

There was a joke from the SOD days.
Why do we have 10 outfield players back for every corner?
Because that’s all we’re allowed.

I've always thought if you've got a player, such as the Wee Turd, who's fast, small and probably next to useless in the box at corners, why not leave him up top.

If it's purely to add more congestion to the penalty area, it doesn't seem worth it. Also leaving one man up, may, stop a clearance to half way ish coming straight back into the box.

These managers have obviously looked at the stats, however it surprises me.

I always think if you leave your quickest player up the pitch,they will stick 2 defenders on him,and including the corner taker,that gives you 2 man advantage in the box.
Yep, that's kinda what I thought. However managers say that if you don't do that, then the attacking team leaves one back anyway (unless you're Ole!) and the corner taker and you still have the 2 man advantage.

Whatever you might think of JT he is showing that he's not afraid to change things up if required. As long as he can keep the players onside I think he will do very well for us. Hats off JT, liking your style so far.

Whatever you might think of JT he is showing that he's not afraid to change things up if required. As long as he can keep the players onside I think he will do very well for us. Hats off JT, liking your style so far.
As long as keeping 3 up doesn't get any of them offside!

The first consideration would be how many tall players in the opposing team, and how good is your goalie at collecting crosses.

If the opposing team has a number of short players and your goalie is good at catching crosses, then leaving one up makes sense.

On the other hand if the opposing team has a number of tall players and your goalie is not good at catching crosses, then you should crowd the penalty error to make it difficult for the opposing team.

;