Jack Butland

With Ramsdale and Travers for the future and Boruc as dependable cover I really can't see how we were ever really interested in Butland. I suppose if Bego had left it might have made some sense to have an experienced replacement for Boruc lined up when he retires but if all goes well that can now be one of Travers or Ramsdale and we can go out and get another promising youngster in. Would rather see our lads given the opportunity to gain the necessary experience than see us spending millions on somebody who by all accounts is no better. Butland seems to have totally lost his mojo in recent years and I'd rather see us investing our time and energy in developing Travers and Ramsdale than trying to help Butland get back to some sort of form. So yes, we can probably count ourselves lucky that nobody was interested in Begovic this summer.

I reckon we could end up buying him once the price has dropped and the fuss died down

Heaton is the one which got away IMO. Reasonable fee and a good age profile allowing Travers and Ramsdale a couple of years to develop further. Plus of course he’s a much better keeper than Butland.

It’s no ones fault really. Clearly our hands were tied with the squad limit rules and the failure to shift Begovic. Sod’s law a European club now comes in for Begovic before their window closes. Still what a great opportunity for Ramsdale

In my opinion yes, but I know I'm been beating that drum for 8 months now so am obviously biased. Assuming he stays in sticks for us beyond Christmas he'll get a senior cap this season. Pickford always looks like he has a ricket in him, hence his mouth often doing more work than his legs

He was doing that all last season as well; there's a reason that anyone who had actually seen him play wasn't too keen on him, especially for £20+ million. It's only a matter of time before he's out of the England squad, which'll be Stokes last crutch clinging onto that premium price gone.

In my opinion yes, but I know I'm been beating that drum for 8 months now so am obviously biased. Assuming he stays in sticks for us beyond Christmas he'll get a senior cap this season. Pickford always looks like he has a ricket in him, hence his mouth often doing more work than his legs
Not sure about this season, but I agree that is his trajectory. I am delighted he was picked and hope he goes on to be an ever present this season, because by definition it will mean he has performed well.

He was doing that all last season as well; there's a reason that anyone who had actually seen him play wasn't too keen on him, especially for £20+ million. It's only a matter of time before he's out of the England squad, which'll be Stokes last crutch clinging onto that premium price gone.

Reality is he needs to get away from stoke and back in prem but most clubs in prem who need a keeper wont want to spend a big chunk of transfer budget on him. Thus could be a catch-22 situation for him if his form dips further.

Stoke wanted £30 million for him and there were no takers. He knows if he doesn't get a PL move he'll miss out on the England squad next summer so he's just ensuring he'll be available for £10 million come January.

;