Jack Byrne

I am going to back the opinions of a great many more in the game, and suggest that if he were that good he wouldn't still be playing in Ireland, as it would only take one scout to share your opinion to have made that happen.

surely at any given time there is one 'best player in Ireland'

Maybe today that player is him?

If we buy him tonight, somebody else will be the best player in Ireland tomorrow.

I am going to back the opinions of a great many more in the game, and suggest that if he were that good he wouldn't still be playing in Ireland, as it would only take one scout to share your opinion to have made that happen.

I naturally lean to cynicism but being the best player in Ireland is like being the best player in non-league.

We had a large contingent on here that thought L Cook would be a huge improvement in our Premier League side so I'm cautious that it's a position that can flatter a player.

Cook for 10?million or Jack Byrne for free?saying he is the best player in the LOI is the same as best player in non league is riicdiious..he is in the international squad and a very good player.I could list many good players signed from LOI.Mcgrath Moran Whelan Keane etc etc

Cook for 10?million or Jack Byrne for free?saying he is the best player in the LOI is the same as best player in non league is riicdiious..he is in the international squad and a very good player.I could list many good players signed from LOI.Mcgrath Moran Whelan Keane etc etc

Direct comparison is hard and I don't really follow non-league but it's not abnormal to see players with international in League 2. Cheltenham for example has two players who played for their country.

Just because you can name a handful of players who came from Ireland it doesn't make it a strong league. I could name plenty of current players that came from non-league off the top of my head, Vardy, Austin, Hart, Antonio, Smalling.

If he didn't have a history of injuring his teammates and he was cheap, he's only 24 and could do a job for a while so could've been an option but I just wanted to provide some realism that the best in Ireland isn't necessarily Championship quality

Direct comparison is hard and I don't really follow non-league but it's not abnormal to see players with international in League 2. Cheltenham for example has two players who played for their country.

Just because you can name a handful of players who came from Ireland it doesn't make it a strong league. I could name plenty of current players that came from non-league off the top of my head, Vardy, Austin, Hart, Antonio, Smalling.

If he didn't have a history of injuring his teammates and he was cheap, he's only 24 and could do a job for a while so could've been an option but I just wanted to provide some realism that the best in Ireland isn't necessarily Championship quality
Historically I would disagree that the best in LOI is not necessarily championship standard.many former LOI players are playing in the championship at the moment and others in the premier league.main point is IMO you couldn't loose if we got him on a free.

Historically I would disagree that the best in LOI is not necessarily championship standard.many former LOI players are playing in the championship at the moment and others in the premier league.main point is IMO you couldn't loose if we got him on a free.

I guess we only have movement of players and how they hold up in the respective leagues as a yardstick. Byrne is a Man City academy graduate who dropped division for 4 successive years in a row in England before ending up in the LOI. If less than 50 games later he's the best player in Ireland it means one of three things:

1. 4 English clubs and a Scottish club were unable to realise his talent even for the basement of English professional football
2. His ability has exploded from league 2 cast-off to at least Championship level in under a year.
3. The standard of the LOI is actually pretty low

While 1 and 2 aren't impossible they seem improbable which is why I lean towards 3.

All that said Michail Antonio for example went pretty much from non-league to Championship. It doesn't mean that non-league and the Championship are the same level so maybe it's not such a great yardstick!

I would suggest that perhaps all the great players that have featured in the LOI probably didn't spend their prime years there.

;