Jack Stacey

Already a fan. Comes across as a really intelligent guy; it’s refreshing to listen to him speak and hear things other than “I’m buzzing to get started”.

Based on what I've heard of Jack's attacking style of play, him Smith on the right along with Rico and Kelly's potential on the left, I think a 4-3-3 with the fullbacks providing the width and a fluid but narrower front three from Wilson, King, Ibe, Brooks and Fraser would be a really exciting set up. Something along the lines of:

--------------------Wilson---------
-------Fraser/King----Brooks/Ibe-----------
---------New Signing/Brooks--------------------------
--------------Cook----------Lerma--------------
Rico/Kelly--Ake--Cook--Smith/Stacey

I think with the fullback cohort we're now developing, this is definitely an exciting possibility. I think it would suit Ibe more than the more disciplined winger role, and it would also allow us to put three in the middle of the park which I've long thought we need. Just need an attacking midfielder and then for me that's a good summer.

I think at the moment that Stacey might start at RB with Smith at LB ....i'd be quite happy for Smithy to stay there tbh.

Based on what I've heard of Jack's attacking style of play, him Smith on the right along with Rico and Kelly's potential on the left, I think a 4-3-3 with the fullbacks providing the width and a fluid but narrower front three from Wilson, King, Ibe, Brooks and Fraser would be a really exciting set up. Something along the lines of:

--------------------Wilson---------
-------Fraser/King----Brooks/Ibe-----------
---------New Signing/Brooks--------------------------
--------------Cook----------Lerma--------------
Rico/Kelly--Ake--Cook--Smith/Stacey

I think with the fullback cohort we're now developing, this is definitely an exciting possibility. I think it would suit Ibe more than the more disciplined winger role, and it would also allow us to put three in the middle of the park which I've long thought we need. Just need an attacking midfielder and then for me that's a good summer.

In possession yes.
But out of possession our full backs still need support from somewhere, especially if we lose possession with them further up field.

Cannot expect Lewis Cook or Lerma to cover that space that frequently as we’d then be very susceptible down the middle.

In possession yes.
But out of possession our full backs still need support from somewhere, especially if we lose possession with them further up field.

Cannot expect Lewis Cook or Lerma to cover that space that frequently as we’d then be very susceptible down the middle.

Simple solution, just never lose the ball ;-)

You're right of course, and this formation would require fluidity across the park; fullbacks taking it in turns to go, defensive midfielders slotting in their place, attacking midfield dropping back to fill holes. I think it's these demands which result in teams like us opting for the 4-4-2 option for longer than we'd probably like. Integrating more other formations requires an increased calibre of player. I just think (optimistically) that we're starting to develop a squad that could cope with these complexities and that's exciting.

We need to be careful here. Our full-backs/wing-backs must have defensive skills - sane positional play when we’re under pressure, plus the ability to make a ball-winning tackle. Our biggest problem last season was vulnerability at the back - because of a weak midfield but also because of a leaky back line.

So Smith/Stacey/Daniels/Kelly/Rico need to be confident with defensive drills and willing to tackle decisively. Otherwise we’ll again be conceding goals in alarming numbers.

PLUS - who’s to be the defensive leader? Cook, Ake? More responsibility at the back needed ... someone to organise and lead by example. Can Eddie develop a true battler at the back?

defending always starts from the front.
When we press we do look good, and that is needed from our attacking players.
I think 3 at the back can be played and not ruled out, but you have to have players that know what they are doing.

The modern day fullback involves a lot of running, and thats why you need to be a able to switch these on a regular basis

Attacking full backs all very fine but they need a "buddy" to cover them. In the past Pugh and Ritchie did more than their fair share of covering and it worked. Never see Stanislas or Ibe putting in a shift giving cover. Wee man is here, there and everywhere.

Strong defensive unit needed - pre-season planning and drills will be vital to that. And a further robust midfielder - not a hoolie but a ball winner and ball-mover to play alongside Lerma and Cook L. Then the squad will look nicely balanced - currently we're still fragile in midfield.

defending always starts from the front.
When we press we do look good, and that is needed from our attacking players.
It’s a case of doing everything as a unit. Either you press as a team and of course this starts from the front. Or you restrict space by keeping the team shape. This requires attacking players to drop back and track runners.

Part of the reason our defence is so poor is we fall somewhere in the middle. If some players press and some don’t, you compromise the shape and leave huge gaps. Dropping deep can be very effective until a wide player falls asleep and allows a 2v1 against our full back.

The high press is a very popular tactic these days but it’s not always the best option. Obviously it would be suicidal at places like the Etihad. The key is whatever strategy we do employ, everyone is on the same page and we do it as a unit. That requires better concentration levels from certain individuals and also a lot of training ground work.

Attacking full backs all very fine but they need a "buddy" to cover them. In the past Pugh and Ritchie did more than their fair share of covering and it worked. Never see Stanislas or Ibe putting in a shift giving cover. Wee man is here, there and everywhere.
While Fraser does lots of work i feel he drifts inside a lot leaving full back on his own against two which then pulls Ake out of position with all that entails

While Fraser does lots of work i feel he drifts inside a lot leaving full back on his own against two which then pulls Ake out of position with all that entails
I’m struggling to think of any modern “winger” who doesn’t drift inside? There is a reason why most other clubs cope with this while we don’t...

;