Jack Wilshere

Wilshere couldn’t play in a central midfield two the last time he was here so I doubt he could play it this time around.

So with today’s system would he have really fitted in?

For me it seems obvious you have a midfield three of Wilshere, Lerma and Pearson. Lerma drops deep as a ball recycling option and ball winner, Pearson play box to box and Wilshere acts as a Regista, which is a fancy way of saying a deep lying playmaker who pushes forward (which is why Lerma would need to drop back)

For me the question is whether it's worth swapping Solanke with Danjuma so you have the goal threat closer to goal and a wide targetman as an outlet.

Wilshere couldn’t play in a central midfield two the last time he was here so I doubt he could play it this time around.

No, but that's why we needed to change things around when Barnsley nullified us in the second half. Moving to 3 in the middle to try and gain some control seemed the sensible move to me. To be fair, brigning Billing on in a 3 wouldn't have been a bad move either if he was pushed forward. That's my point in the other thread, we needed to change things up and weren't willing to.

I don't remember a game where Wilshere wasn't a class above everyone else. Sometimes (often) his teammates aren't on the same page, but I'm a big fan and he would be one of the first names on the team sheet for me.

Billing is about as useful as Chukki. He turned up in a couple of games too.

Or perhaps we need to build the team around him? Surely one of the most gifted players we have ever had?

I don’t disagree, obviously he needs managing fitness wise so he’s unlikely to play every game and when you do, yes totally play to his strengths.

So if a midfield two was the preferred system today it makes sense for him to bow out.

If we’re playing a three with Lerma and Pearson then I think that could prove very classy.

You are quite right and he's not great at tracking back either simply because he lacks pace. Cannot believe we came away with nothing today but we cannot afford to keep giving away free kicks just outside the penalty area. 3 times today in almost the same place and it was a case of third time lucky for a hungry Barnsley side who were regrettably hungrier than we were. It's happened and we have to move on. Reading are the only side with a pretty tough run-in so they have to be our target - we are not going to catch any of the top four now and on today's showing Barnsley are not for catching either - they have the easiest run-in too! Keep the faith - it's never over till it's over!

Today yes, but what if the Billing that turned up against Burnley had strutted on to the pitch?
It's about where he plays on the park and the role he is given - he was trying to cover for Stacey too much who tends to leave the flank open far more than Smith - he's much better playing further forward but today's free kick was given away and they took advantage. But by that time in the half we'd already capitulated after a half decent first half lead had been thrown away. Taking Pearson off was the mistake - he was at least holding the line and actually I would have been so much happier if we had come away with a point than nothing at all. Hey ho - we move on and make Reading our target!

;