Jacob Tanswell

I don't get why people won't pay a sub when you would happily buy a newspaper and then chuck it in the bin when you have read it.

I bet you also have Spotify or something similar.

I think there's a slight difference in that if you buy a paper you get to skim over the content and pay for just that paper. When you get Spotify there's a free option so you can can see enough of the music you like is there. If there was an archive of all AFCB games updated 24 hours after a game was played I'd probably pay a reasonable sun for that.

Whereas with a news subscription you pay a rolling fee and a larger lump sum too. I'd be happier with a sample and a micro transaction model to build up confidence that I'd want the subscription and would actually use it.

Called it. Tbf his entire Dorset Live output seemed like an audition for the Athletic. I can't imagine he got paid anything like enough to justify the amount of articles he produced in the depth he went into with them so fair play to him for going above and beyond and getting rewarded for it.

[QUOTE="S
Dorset Live output seemed like an audition for the Athletic. I can't imagine he got paid anything like enough to justify the amount of articles he produced in the depth he went into with them so fair play to him for going above and beyond and getting rewarded for it.[/QUOTE]

Yes, seemed to become apparent to many on here he was way beyond usual local sports journalism. Leagues ahead of anythign I can recall in my life time, in written publications.

Wonder if Dorset live directive to start churning out all those articles out of nowhere, or whether Yacob drove it and they agreed after seeing talent he had?

Interesting that, in his online interview on Cherries Red Army, Jacob said that transfer stories are among the worst/hardest stories to produce. Why? Because, to paraphrase, so many people are trying to get you to write things that aren’t true out of vested interests.

During the boring bits of summer it’s easy to seize on transfer gossip and get het up about it. Next time I’m tempted to do so, I shall try and remember those words.

PS I am still convinced his name is a nom de plume, designed to take the mickey out of Jason Tindall.

Interesting that, in his online interview on Cherries Red Army, Jacob said that transfer stories are among the worst/hardest stories to produce. Why? Because, to paraphrase, so many people are trying to get you to write things that aren’t true out of vested interests.

During the boring bits of summer it’s easy to seize on transfer gossip and get het up about it. Next time I’m tempted to do so, I shall try and remember those words.

PS I am still convinced his name is a nom de plume, designed to take the mickey out of Jason Tindall.

Indeed, like you say, many fans get excited about rumours involving their club and generates a lot of interest/discussion.

But have you have integrity, may not want to just make stuff up. Not sure how you;d find out real transfer deals that are bubbling half the time, unless an agent releases something to the press, or someone sees a player chatting to club officials somewhere, but I imagine that doesn;t happen in public places that often these days, to stop it getting out.

I imagine most pro clubs have processes, structure etc to follow with transfter dealings, to keep it out of the media. If it does get out in this era, I imagine its premeditated by one of the clubs involved, or the agents, rather than Joe Bloggs just saw a player chatting to xyz club officials in a hotel bar.

I didn't realise I had agreed to it. I got the money back and that's the last I'll have to do with them. I can't stand sly firms that try it on. Virgin media are the same.
Most car insurance companies are the same . Esure happily intended to increase my policy by £100 on auto renew but didn't tell me. Just a letter saying my insurance would auto renew and I didn't need to do anything. I had to physically check the new price to see it would have gone up £100! It's scandalous but they get away with it and people let them do it. New quote from Hastings was £150 cheaper !!

Most car insurance companies are the same . Esure happily intended to increase my policy by £100 on auto renew but didn't tell me. Just a letter saying my insurance would auto renew and I didn't need to do anything. I had to physically check the new price to see it would have gone up £100! It's scandalous but they get away with it and people let them do it. New quote from Hastings was £150 cheaper !!

Yeah, to me that goes to show doesn;t it. If they were half as 'customer focused' as all companies claim to be, they'd make it clear to their clients. After all, I imagine thats one of the main details people are interested in.

It's pretty much how all financial services work. They get a bunch of people in with a good offer then gradually try to migrate them into cash cows.

There was talk about setting up "clubs" where an agent would migrate you automatically to the best deals when your various contracts expire for something like £10 a year but it seems to have petered out as a concept.

Isn't that against the law?
Our insurance companies tell you a month in advance if the costs go up.

Hopefully the AFCB podcasts can get Marc McAdam and Kris Temple on more to fill the void left by Tanswell and update us with the gos' from behind the scenes and what rumours are wide off the mark.

I think it has to be present in the letter but not sure how prominently.
Yes, it has to be clear from the letter what your renewal price will be.

In many cases, Insurance companies take the view that they will earn more from breaking FCA rules than they will get fined so they go ahead anyway. I was present at a meeting where this was discussed at a very well-known insurer but thankfully they decided the reputational risk was too great.

New rules came into force on 1st January around price walking, where a company successively increases premiums each year for loyal customers. Now they are supposed to offer a premium that would be no more than you would pay as a loyal customer.

But remember that this rule applies to companies and not brokers. So a broker can just pass on the insurance company's renewal premium without trying to find you a better deal.

Yes, it has to be clear from the letter what your renewal price will be.

In many cases, Insurance companies take the view that they will earn more from breaking FCA rules than they will get fined so they go ahead anyway. I was present at a meeting where this was discussed at a very well-known insurer but thankfully they decided the reputational risk was too great.

New rules came into force on 1st January around price walking, where a company successively increases premiums each year for loyal customers. Now they are supposed to offer a premium that would be no more than you would pay as a loyal customer.

But remember that this rule applies to companies and not brokers. So a broker can just pass on the insurance company's renewal premium without trying to find you a better deal.
I knew someone who was employed by an insurance company, in this case the company aimed at the over 50's market. I was grizzling about a letter I had received with a large increase in premium. He said it was unlikely that human eyes had ever set eyes on said letter, and that, in the first instance, they were all computer generated. I used to then play the game and ring them up. Whoever I got hold of would 'consult with his manager' and ask if the premium I paid last year would be OK. I got bored with this after a while...

I knew someone who was employed by an insurance company, in this case the company aimed at the over 50's market. I was grizzling about a letter I had received with a large increase in premium. He said it was unlikely that human eyes had ever set eyes on said letter, and that, in the first instance, they were all computer generated. I used to then play the game and ring them up. Whoever I got hold of would 'consult with his manager' and ask if the premium I paid last year would be OK. I got bored with this after a while...
Yep that's exactly the game.

The discounts/uplifts are set based on analytics.

Companies know the profile of people who are likely to stay and suffer a price walk up so they are offered a better discount than price shoppers are offered in the knowledge that their premiums can be increased year on year.

People like me are offered a good year-one discount but not as good as loyal customers because the company knows I am a price-shopper.

Analytics pricing has also now been banned but it will still happen in a modified form.

;