Jefferson Lerma

People seriously think he stayed with us in the championship out of loyalty? Come on now. If he was that loyal to us then why did he jump ship to one of our most direct competitors then?

I’m not suggesting that he was wrong to do this, he was absolutely well within his rights to do whatever suited him best.

It’s pretty simple, he stayed during the championship stint because we massively overpaid to bring him in. He is never worth anywhere near £25m and we would have obviously wanted to recoup at least most of that fee. But nobody wanted to pay it, because he wasn’t worth it! Even when he was available on a free, he ended up at the most bog standard mid table side that the top flight has ever seen. You’re living on cloud cuckoo land if you think that he wouldn’t have moved back to the top flight at the first chance if he could have done, because why the hell wouldn’t he have?

I don't disagree with a lot of that and he was certainly committed to the AFCB cause and fair play to him.

I think it is obvious that he would have left if he got an offer like Ake did and even more obvious that he/AFCB didn't get an offer like that. The Athletic said as much and I don't know why they would make that up.
But wasn't that Athletic piece just an opinion, like everybody else? By the way, I tend to agree with your thoughts on this one.

Lerma is excellent at the first time cushioned pass. Rarely passed to the opposition. Reliable as a stopper. Huge energy.

I always loved watching him play.
So did I. However, if he hadn't been our former player he would not have been noticed last night.

He has been on the losing side twice this season against his old club that sit in 11th place with his club in 14th and AFCB 11 points above Palace.

If you think Lerma stayed at AFCB out of loyalty rather than there not being any suitable offers for him I've got a bridge to sell you. There's the Athletic article, the fact they offloaded everyone they could, the fact when he did go it was only a bang average side that wanted him even when there was no transfer fee to pay... but ok Neil, loyalty.
It was well talked about at the time, he loved the area and the club loved him as he was tailor made for the fight of the championship which he bossed and was a major part in us sealing a promotion worth 200m. I don’t see the need to look at this cynically. Iraola another one that likes a defined contract and to see it out.

It was well talked about at the time, he loved the area and the club loved him as he was tailor made for the fight of the championship which he bossed and was a major part in us sealing a promotion worth 200m. I don’t see the need to look at this cynically. Iraola another one that likes a defined contract and to see it out.

It's not about cynicism - there is no doubt that Jeff was a model professional and that there wasn't a whiff of Fraser type downing tools or anything less than 100% at all times from him. Ive said before that I know someone who knows him personally and it's true he did settled into a great local Colombian community and his family loved it here....

But it wasn't loyalty that kept him at AFCB any more than it was lack of loyalty that saw him leave. Tbh I don't think there is any such thing as loyalty in football when it comes to players and frankly you would be an idiot if you did anything other than make the best decision for you and your family.

The club offloaded everyone other than him that was on £50k+ ... you don't like anyone involved in decision making at the club so surely even you would accept that had a decent offer come in for him he'd have been gone. Like Steve Cook and all the other high earners.

Reactions: drd
He was booked on before the game.... and spoke about the game. They did exploit the massive holes in our midfield in that game like everyone else did at that point in time. Don't you remember banging on about the 'Lerma shaped hole' in our midfield in you desperate rush to slag off decision makers at the club?
I still think we’d be a better side with Lerma here and Iraola would have got a lot out of him.

I don't. Loved the guy but there's a reason he moved sideways and struggles to get into a weaker side's midfield.
He moved for a lot more cash. I’d like to see your definition of ‘struggles’ he’s started 25 more games this season than Adams.

Look what Iraola did with Solanke and Christie, I think he would have got wonders out of Lerma especially with a common language.

He moved for a lot more cash. I’d like to see your definition of ‘struggles’ he’s started 25 more games this season than Adams.

Look what Iraola did with Solanke and Christie, I think he would have got wonders out of Lerma especially with a common language.

Last two times I've seen him he's been playing in defence. Who knows what he'd have done with Lerma, what we can say is that we don't have a Lerma shaped hole in our squad.

Last two times I've seen him he's been playing in defence. Who knows what he'd have done with Lerma, what we can say is that we don't have a Lerma shaped hole in our squad.
What you can say. Not what we can say. Unless you’ve started speaking for us all.

He’s playing in defence because he’s been bad in midfield then is he? As opposed to my Palace mate telling me it’s because they have a defensive injury crisis. You know more than most Bournemouth fans in your own head but didn’t realise it actually went across all clubs…..

What you can say. Not what we can say. Unless you’ve started speaking for us all.

He’s playing in defence because he’s been bad in midfield then is he? As opposed to my Palace mate telling me it’s because they have a defensive injury crisis. You know more than most Bournemouth fans in your own head but didn’t realise it actually went across all clubs…..

I don't speak for everyone no but I don't know anyone who thinks we are badly missing Lerma, other than you of course.

I don't particularly give a toss why he's not playing in their midfield. They are crap so he can't have been that brilliant when he did play there can he.

We haven't got a Lerma shaped hole in our squad let alone our team though have we Neil. No spin just an opinion and one that I think most people would agree with.
We had a Lerma shaped hole in our team when I said it. We adapted to a different way of playing but still when we get caught up pitch we have nobody that can cover ground like he could to get back and I maintain that we’d be a better squad with him in it. His replacement has started one game.

We had a Lerma shaped hole in our team when I said it. We adapted to a different way of playing but still when we get caught up pitch we have nobody that can cover ground like he could to get back and I maintain that we’d be a better squad with him in it. His replacement has started one game.

No, we had players struggling to adapt to the new manager's philosophy leaving big gaps. Those same players eventually adapted and plugged those gaps. We don't need Lerma and we have had the strength in depth to deal with all injuries despite you writing the squad off as unbalanced in another of your desperate attempts to talk them down.

The best marker for the quality of Lerma is that he's made more starts than someone with a 6 month injury?

;