Jefferson Lerma

As ever. Pundits are geniuses when they agree with us and sofa merchants too scared to manage a team when they don’t agree with us. :)

The issue here is Murphy hasn’t stated an opinion that one can choose to agree or disagree with. He’s said something factually inaccurate, and then formed his opinion based on that inaccuracy.

For the record, Lerma didn’t headbutt anyone in the WC, didn’t concede a penalty, didn’t scuff up the penalty spot or even get a yellow card.

Was Lerma involved in a headbutt incident at the WC...? Interesting comments from D.Murphy just on TalkSport... Forgetting that it's TS, Murphy didn't seem to think it was a good buy 'at all'... ill disciplined, bad attitude, and nowhere near as good as what we currently have in our midfield... A lot of money (too much money) for someone who will spend as much time being banned, as on the pitch (effectively)...

I have to admit, I am concerned about his discipline record and hope Eddie is able to work his magic and prove folk wrong... It is a lot of money tho...!!!
And last season the expert Phil Thompson said our signings were poor and an indication that we had accepted relegation as our fate.

Two knobs then ;-)

Let's face it, none of us really know what to expect from him. But, I will say this - if he proves out to be the tough MF (mid-fielder, but maybe the other MF too!) we need, plus the other additions, plus the retention of all key pieces like L. Cook and Ake including Simon, Gosling, Surman, Daniels and others that some were eager to jettison, it really promises to be an entertaining season. Much more depth on the squad than I could have hoped for.

And last season the expert Phil Thompson said our signings were poor and an indication that we had accepted relegation as our fate.

Two knobs then ;-)
And some prick said we are relegation fodder together with Cardiff and Huddersfield. He even thought Stains would be pushing for a top six position.

Tbh, some of the reports that I have seen over here do place us in the relegation fight, as low as 16th, but some of that pre-dates the signings so timing of reports is key.

The common themes seem to be that CC and Hudds are likely, Watford and Fulham will be on the brink, Soton could be at risk also. And Wolves are the darlings to be top 10.

To answer the original question, Eddie Howe signed the defensive midfielder Nathan Ake. The same Nathan Ake who believed Defensive Midfield to be his best position.

That's why I see this as a slightly odd signing as we already have a great DM who is athletic, quick and reads the game well enough to cover for a lightweight midfield or full backs who have pushed up to attack.

To counter my own argument in the interests of balance, it must be easier to recruit a £25m DM than it is to move your CB forward and get a replacement in (or, I don't know, give Steve Cook or Tyrone Mings a few games).

I’m in the camp that it’s about what this signing can do for us in terms of creativity In the final third as well as a buffer in front of our back line.
Eddies midfielders over the past few years have generally tended to sit in and spread it wide to start attacks. Hopefully with Lerma it may allow L Cook to play, at times, higher up the pitch and be the one who helps open things up with his vision and passing ability. Couple that with his ability to break through the centre of the attacking half ( which I feel we have never really managed in the last few years ) it will hopefully add a new dimension to our threat .

Welcome aboard Mr Lerma.
He will need a lot of love, as I said before, as this is a big transition for him.
None of us know what he is capable of. Hopefully, he will be a gem.

He can't be a Rantie can he?

With regard to Lema's 17 yellow cards last season:
OF COURSE Eddie and the scouting staff knew about this.
OF COURSE they would have seen the statistic (in itself) as concerning.
OF COURSE they would have watched countless highlights, INCLUDING each of the cards he received, before making their decision.
If you looked at our disciplinary statistics from the 2016-17 season you would conclude that Andrew Surman is one of our dirtiest players (red card v Man U). I'm trusting our team on this one, not some guy on Talk Sport who has to fill up air time with hot air.

Which utter cretin said that?
The long legged robot Peter Crouch
"Each time they have looked in trouble, they have found a way to get out. But I have a feeling Bournemouth are going to find things difficult this season. There were a few bad teams in the Premier League last time and that helped them when they had a poor run.

Will they get away with it this time? I’m not sure. It’s not like they haven’t spent money, either, and you would be looking for some of those who have arrived for decent fees to produce. It is going be a long season for them.

HOW WILL THEY FARE?

It will be touch and go whether they can stay up."

Two knobs then ;-)
Three now! Crouch in the Mail reckons we'll struggle to stay up because we haven't bought well (?) no mention of Lerma though. I think EH will play him with L-plates on, I misheard his name as Learner the first time I heard it. :help:

To answer the original question, Eddie Howe signed the defensive midfielder Nathan Ake. The same Nathan Ake who believed Defensive Midfield to be his best position.

That's why I see this as a slightly odd signing as we already have a great DM who is athletic, quick and reads the game well enough to cover for a lightweight midfield or full backs who have pushed up to attack.

To counter my own argument in the interests of balance, it must be easier to recruit a £25m DM than it is to move your CB forward and get a replacement in (or, I don't know, give Steve Cook or Tyrone Mings a few games).

On what basis is ake a midfielder? Before joining us he played left back for watford. He played a bunch of positions in various youth teams as most young players do. He is clearly a CB

On what basis is ake a midfielder? Before joining us he played left back for watford. He played a bunch of positions in various youth teams as most young players do. He is clearly a CB

He made some off the cuff comment that he’d like to play as DM once. Everyone jumped on that and decided he would play that position for us. It’s actually a very different skill set needed for that position and Eddie, fortunately realised very quickly, what a superb CB he could potentially be (and has now become)

;