John O'Rourke

paul49

UTC Legend
Sadly passed away last night. I met him a couple of times and He was a really nice guy. RIP John.

Great bloke, I used to collect the football coupons, every week, from his newsagents in Highcliffe. I remembered him from the first couple of seasons of Panini stickers. Sad to hear of his passing.

That's a real shocker. The last time I saw John in his Highcliffe shop, admittedly a few years ago, he still looked as fit as a fiddle and in good shape. He always greeted you with a breezy smile.

Very sad news indeed, and commiserations to his family and friends.

He was well thought of at two of his other clubs, Ipswich and Middlesbrough.

I only visited John a month ago for him to sign the latest AFCB player by player book and he was really chatty about his times at his various clubs.

His passing away is quite a shock.

Sad news indeed and 71 is no age at nowdays. I did a paper round for several years at his paper shop and he was a really nice down to earth kind of guy. He played for loads of clubs including if I remember correctly Wolves, Chelsea, Arsenal. I guess you would call him a journey man player but if he'd played in this day and age he'd would have been a wealthy guy and certainly wouldn't have needed to earn a living after he stopped playing. He was good friends with John Hollins I believe.

I remember him taking a couple of training sessions for the Highcliffe teams I played for and he just took the piss out of us in terms of skill and ability. RIP John

He had a wonderful sense of humour on and off the field. When interviewed for the club matchday programme, he was asked "What job would you have liked if you were not a footballer", John's reply was "Gynaecologist".

I remember thinking, "what a great signing" at the time.
I met him a couple of times, always had time to chat.

Ted49 - 10/7/2016 06:26

I met him a couple of times, always had time to chat.

That seemed to be the way with players back then.

Wonder if in 40 years time, looking back, people will say the same about the current squad?

I seem to remember a penalty kick incident under Trevor Hartley when John O'Rourke passed over taking the kick to a young Howard Goddard. Lots of disharmony at the time young inexperienced manager and some seasoned pro's.

;