Jonathan Woodgate

Do you want Woodgate in charge first game of next season?

• Yes

Votes: 102 49.5%
  • No

Votes: 104 50.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I suppose the alternative is an up and coming lower league manager. Karl Robinson has been mentioned on here a few times. He seems to have been around for ever but would know the better players further down the ladder.

...I say yes give him the task of sorting the squad for next season and hopefully having some income from sales to invest in the team.
I can't think of anyone out there I would want to come in if we are talking experienced types....Big Sam?...Uncle Roy?...no I can't really think of anyone!

What exactly has Woodgate shown that suggests that he will do any good in building a team or a side with an attractive playing style? Take Spurs and Real Madrid off of his playing CV and I doubt there would be much fawning over him at all.

Even Kevin Bond managed to string six consecutive wins together, so one purple patch proves little.

Tindall was judged on how his side reacted after a couple of defeats. He was sacked after 4 defeats in 5 games.

Woodgate has now lost 4 of his last 5.

What exactly has Woodgate shown that suggests that he will do any good in building a team or a side with an attractive playing style? Take Spurs and Real Madrid off of his playing CV and I doubt there would be much fawning over him at all.

Even Kevin Bond managed to string six consecutive wins together, so one purple patch proves little.

Tindall was judged on how his side reacted after a couple of defeats. He was sacked after 4 defeats in 5 games.

More worryingly we've only scored 2 goals in those 5 games.

Just to expand on that (quickly added up on soccer base so could be errors)...

edit - there are errors, ignore me.

Last edited:
There are pros and cons for Woodgate… the pros mainly relvolve on consistency and knowing the players etc. However, you have to realistically think the lions share of that team on Saturday will either be gone or looking to go by the time we kick off next season.

We all said it when we got relegated and we’ll say it again more so now… If we’re going to consider ourselves a club that belongs in the top two tiers of football then we need to rebuild the club with personnel that know how to do that… both off and on the field…

Woodgate has done some things to steady us and unite the team a bit, but I’ve always thought he’s not right for us going forward… I 100% agree with DJ in that I think he, along with his staff, have turned us into a team I don’t really like to watch atm… We’ve swung too far in the direction of being nasty to play against…

We’re a million miles away from the team that beat Man Utd and Chelsea and everyone waxed lyrical about… We need to start heading back in that direction, and I don’t think Woodgate will do that for us… Sorry, it’s a no from me…

Last edited:
Echo basically saying the same as our comments on here.

It is understood no announcement on Woodgate’s future is due imminently. There are mixed views among the fanbase as to whether the former Middlesbrough boss has done enough to stay on for next season, with his contract now expired.

The 41-year-old arrived in difficult circumstances in February, but became just the third boss in the club’s history to embark on a seven-game winning run, which helped Cherries secure a spot in the play-offs.

Whatever the decision from the board on Woodgate’s future, there should be little delay in making that call. When Jason Tindall was sacked in February, the board underwent a stringent process, interviewing various candidates for the managerial role before opting for Woodgate.

So having been through this process twice in the space of a year, they should be well prepared to make a swifter decision and appointment this time around, especially given Woodgate’s contract situation had been clear from the off.

There is also the matter of the future of the coaching staff, with both Gary O’Neil and Joe Jordan specifically brought in by Woodgate.

The Championship season is due to begin on August 7. Given the work needed to get the squad in a place to challenge for promotion, a decision on who will be in charge of the team for the first day of pre-season needs to be made swiftly.

...would anyone really trust our board to get it right in appointing someone else?...

Yes we will hear the same old candidates being bandied about like John Terry...Thierry Henry....Chris Wilder....we have absolutely no chance of getting in Frank Lampard or someone looking at The PL vacancies at Wolves and Palace?

We have invested in Woodgate,Jordan, and O'Neill and the season will be so different with fans back and I think that we can trust to Woodgate to put things right over the summer and build a squad that can challenge for promotion, but for some twists of fate with harsh penalty and a reseve defender getting caught on the ball we could be awaiting a play off final...you could see that the team was up for it on Saturday and JW had got them tuned.

...would anyone really trust our board to get it right in appointing someone else?...

Yes we will hear the same old candidates being bandied about like John Terry...Thierry Henry....Chris Wilder....we have absolutely no chance of getting in Frank Lampard or someone looking at The PL vacancies at Wolves and Palace?

We have invested in Woodgate,Jordan, and O'Neill and the season will be so different with fans back and I think that we can trust to Woodgate to put things right over the summer and build a squad that can challenge for promotion, but for some twists of fate with harsh penalty and a reseve defender getting caught on the ball we could be awaiting a play off final...you could see that the team was up for it on Saturday and JW had got them tuned.

If up for it you mean Begovic running around like a complete lunatic, then yes he had them "tuned".

I'd look forward to a full season of a Woodgate built side about as much as I would have done a Bond or Quinn outfit.

Nothing particularly against Woodgate but, along with pretty much all the playing staff, I couldn't really care less if he stays or goes.

I guess sacking him will give all of the captain hindsights on here the chance to say he would have won the league if we'd kept him like they appear to be doing with Eddie Howe. I absolutely love Howe but nothing in his last 18 months suggests that we wouldn't have slumped into another confidence crisis same as we did with Tindall.

Like last summer - any prospective outsider coming in will want assurances about players staying and/or player sales being reinvested into the squad. Can Demin/Blake give those assurances? Like last summer - probably not.

I'd be delighted for us to bring in someone and build something, but I suspect we'll stagger through another close season and keep 'continuity' through another book balancing.

If up for it you mean Begovic running around like a complete lunatic, then yes he had them "tuned".

I'd look forward to a full season of a Woodgate built side about as much as I would have done a Bond or Quinn outfit.
We need experience now not Woodgate, Terry etc. Wilder and Robinson are 2 options. Wilder would want to hit the ground running whilst Robinson would probably need time for a rebuild. Have we got time ? Over to the board heaven help us.

Under Woodgate we've been mostly crap, bar a 3 or 4 game purple patch. Under Tindall we were mostly crap, bar 3 or 4 games. I'm not over the moon with Woodgate, but can't realistically imagine us getting anybody better.

Nothing particularly against Woodgate but, along with pretty much all the playing staff, I couldn't really care less if he stays or goes.

I guess sacking him will give all of the captain hindsights on here the chance to say he would have won the league if we'd kept him like they appear to be doing with Eddie Howe. I absolutely love Howe but nothing in his last 18 months suggests that we wouldn't have slumped into another confidence crisis same as we did with Tindall.
...don't think we need to sack him, just not offer him the job?

Maybe the poll should be who for next manager, woodgate, bilic, jokanovic ...... plus others. Suspect woodgate wouldn't get 50% of the vote then

Football Insider are reporting that Woodgate is not being offered the job and that we will be looking for a new manager

;