Jordon Ibe

Not made a single appearance for them yet. I guess he's still working on getting fit, which is unsurprising as he's hardly played a match for three years.

There wax talk around even when he was with us that as a boy he just didn't really like football,that he just happened to be very good at it as a youngster and here we are.

If that's the case why bother pursuing it any more ?

He surely must have made enough money to be able to do something else.

There wax talk around even when he was with us that as a boy he just didn't really like football,that he just happened to be very good at it as a youngster and here we are.

Interesting point that. Which it true would change the debate but as DJ said without being helped to find an alternative path is tricky.

My complete guess is he probably did like playing football as most people like a sport they are good at but probably hates pressure or expectation. The lad we saw playing against us on loan at Brum and Derby who tore Franno apart didn’t have a 15m fee burden hanging over him.

Interesting point that. Which it true would change the debate but as DJ said without being helped to find an alternative path is tricky.

My complete guess is he probably did like playing football as most people like a sport they are good at but probably hates pressure or expectation. The lad we saw playing against us on loan at Brum and Derby who tore Franno apart didn’t have a 15m fee burden hanging over him.

Find it very hard to to believe he didn't like it tbh.

Perhaps he didn't love it, totally obsessed as many boys are who play it and have some inkling of ability.

Maybe im wrong but sounds like could be one of those cases of Chinese whispers.

With elite sport, particularly one where yiu need to be very athletic... compared to previous eras, yiu need to be very committed/focused to keep improving and levels high, or you'll get left behind.youll get away with natural ability and some effort when at school, but not as a professional. As vast majority of players (certainly at higher levels) are probably extremely focused, to some extent

Iirc people alluded to him looking good in training, but clearly something was asmiss as it very rarely transpired to the matches... at least at pl level.

Like yku say, he looked electric against us in the championship. Not so much for us in pl... no end product against the best. Coukd bd due to pressure/expectation In top flight.

Last edited:
I think it’s very common that kids don’t like football. They get pushed from a very early age, their experience of it is playing it since before they can remember…not watching it and idolising their heroes and pretending to emulate the FA Cup final winner in the garden.

Ben White is another example. Doesn’t watch football, is so disinterested in watching football he reportedly wouldn’t watch it when asked to do his preparation for England and was sent home from the World Cup. That’s an extreme example of course, but I’d say it’s probably very common.

I think it’s very common that kids don’t like football. They get pushed from a very early age, their experience of it is playing it since before they can remember…not watching it and idolising their heroes and pretending to emulate the FA Cup final winner in the garden.

Ben White is another example. Doesn’t watch football, is so disinterested in watching football he reportedly wouldn’t watch it when asked to do his preparation for England and was sent home from the World Cup. That’s an extreme example of course, but I’d say it’s probably very common.

May be you're right.

What I will say though is I don't like watching football tbh... apart from afcb and england., but love/loved playing it though abd tbf my life was consumed by it as a kid. Find it boring as f*** tbh now, didn't even watch workd Cup final. Need emotional investment... so I love watching afcb and England. Perhaps just as less time on my hands now or just other stuff I'd rather be doing.

That's just extremely unprofessional from White. Imagine if we had that attitude in our jobs at work... which very few of us love. Walking out of a training course because we couldn't be bothered/didn't like it

That demonstrates a bad attitude tbh, and if he was not willing to watch what was likely not that much of video footage to prepare him for matches, plenty of managers woukd have done the same as it sets the tone. What would some other players tgink and perhaps start doingif one just coukdnt be bothered to watch.

Wonder what he did instead...Particularly as its not like he's gifted to the extent of being workd class. Sat in the sun playing on his phone?

That's well out of order tbh. And depending on his response when approached by management... I think they're right to send him home tbh (assuming it's true). I'm amazed they picked him tbh, as he can't have been showing some interst in previous international callus, then decided he couldn't be bothered in the workd Cup.. of all things.

Last edited:

Certainly my experience from the other end of it.

My parents don't like football so I didn't play it outside of school until I was old enough to go for kickabouts with my mates. As I grew up some of the lads who were far better than me, in part because they were kicking a ball from the moment they could walk were harder and harder to convince to go out and when they did they'd be the first to sit out after 10 minutes.

I also only like watching Bmth. Don’t even get that excited with England as didn’t live here to begin with and was brought up to support Scotland… now don’t really get excited by either! Weird isn’t it.

Get offered Champions league and Premier league tickets for other clubs with work all the time but always give them away. Have been a couple times and find it boring unless I support a team. Don’t mind doing stadia experiences abroad but that’s to feel a city and culture more etc.

I guess it's easy for young footballers to spend their money. Hopefully, he was able to put some away for the future but who knows? Might be that football is all he feels he knows to do.

;