Jordon Ibe

[QUOTE/
There's arrogant and cocky but Ibe's been on a self-destruct mission, which is very different.

He doesn't come over as arrogant or cocky on AFCB videos, and people who have met him seem to have found him to be quite pleasant, but he does seem to have a talent for football that he somehow can't properly activate - there is something missing there that would normally push someone on to achieve their potential. He seems a bit like a quality car with lots of top features and equipment but with a broken clutch that no one is able to repair. He's still young and I for one hope he finds somewhere and someone who can turn him into the proper and successful footballer that he could still be.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. I've never thought of him as arrogant or cocky either, which makes his habit of 'making the wrong decision' harder to explain.

You’ve missed my point entirely, I’m saying you can’t break the law and say it’s down to your mental health and get away with it, which I’m not saying he is doing I’m saying you can’t use it as a reason...

Ha! And that's made it as clear as mud :LOL:

If poor mental health is the reason for someone behaving out of character, illegally, unusually or poorly then why can't we say that's the reason?

If you're driving your car, have a stroke and crash the vehicle, the reason you crashed is because of the stroke. Imagine being told you can't use the stroke as the reason when it is.

...he’s had a haircut, he’s said he didn’t know it was wrong to do so (surely... they knew it was wrong?...

Surely?

Again, you're projecting your values and assumptions onto someone else.

Most people would know a haircut at present would be wrong but some wouldn't and some wouldn't behave rationally anyway. We're all wired differently.

I've tried to avoid sharing but I have personal experience of this, with a girlfriend who's mental health steadily deteriorated over four years.

She had a fabulous, well paid job and her own large home. Life appeared great.

The moments she'd 'veer off course' were random, subtle at first, even funny, but eventually became violent and dangerous.

It crept up on her, and me. Like you I kept projecting my and society's values and assumptions about things, she'd agree wholeheartedly, then once in a while do the complete opposite.

The more this behaviour was addressed the more out of hand things became. Like you I kept trying to apply logic but when someone can't stop themselves from behaving illogically you're wasting your time.

For their loved ones it's a slow, torturous and unexpected descent into the steadily increasing chaos. By the time the police were involved and she'd jumped rather than be pushed from her job I was probably on the edge a breakdown myself.

Sometimes people are not in control of what they're doing, despite appearing 'normal'. That might be the case for their whole life or for just a short while. No amount of 'but surely they know it's wrong' makes any difference.

Ha! And that's made it as clear as mud :LOL:

If poor mental health is the reason for someone behaving out of character, illegally, unusually or poorly then why can't we say that's the reason?

If you're driving your car, have a stroke and crash the vehicle, the reason you crashed is because of the stroke. Imagine being told you can't use the stroke as the reason when it is.

Surely?

Again, you're projecting your values and assumptions onto someone else.

Most people would know a haircut at present would be wrong but some wouldn't and some wouldn't behave rationally anyway. We're all wired differently.

I've tried to avoid sharing but I have personal experience of this, with a girlfriend who's mental health steadily deteriorated over four years.

She had a fabulous, well paid job and her own large home. Life appeared great.

The moments she'd 'veer off course' were random, subtle at first, even funny, but eventually became violent and dangerous.

It crept up on her, and me. Like you I kept projecting my and society's values and assumptions about things, she'd agree wholeheartedly, then once in a while do the complete opposite.

The more this behaviour was addressed the more out of hand things became. Like you I kept trying to apply logic but when someone can't stop themselves from behaving illogically you're wasting your time.

For their loved ones it's a slow, torturous and unexpected descent into the steadily increasing chaos. By the time the police were involved and she'd jumped rather than be pushed from her job I was probably on the edge a breakdown myself.

Sometimes people are not in control of what they're doing, despite appearing 'normal'. That might be the case for their whole life or for just a short while. No amount of 'but surely they know it's wrong' makes any difference.

We shall have to agree to disagree on this.

Thank you for sharing your personal experience, I have had a similar experience to you and even been to a self help sessions/counselling with people that are having a rough time to support/try and understand more but that doesn’t change my opinion on this.

I’m still of the very strong opinion that whether you suffer from mental health problems or not you don’t crash into a cafe and drive off, you don’t drive when banned - that’s called taking a chance and you don’t go out when the country is under lockdown to have a haircut and if mental health was a reasonable excuse he wouldn’t have gone to court and he wouldn’t be dealing with the police and he wouldn’t be having internal investigations at the club. The law is the law unfortunately whether you suffer from mental health problems or not and that’s clearly the stance the authorities and club have as well.

Having a stroke, heart attack, etc is a very different scenario so I wouldn’t deem that relevant.

I have no more to say on it.

No, I reckon he would tear most defences in the Scottish league apart, look what Scott Sinclair managed to do up there in the first couple of seasons, he was hardly making headlines for Swansea but banged them in for Celtic. I honestly think he would run riot in the SPL.
Scott Sinclair was brilliant for Swansea, so good in fact that it persuaded a Man City to sign him. Didn’t pull up any trees there but still far more proven and accomplished at the top level than Ibe.

Scott Sinclair was brilliant for Swansea, so good in fact that it persuaded a Man City to sign him. Didn’t pull up any trees there but still far more proven and accomplished at the top level than Ibe.
Yeah I got confused it was Villa they bought him from. The point stands though he was crap there and wen North of the border and looked World-class against SPL sides.

;