Joshua King

Man Utd put in a low offer with a 15 minute accept it or the deal is off ultimatum. Right near the end of the window where we wouldn't be able to guarantee having time to replace him. When in the middle of a relegation battle.

Giving the club any grief at all for turning down that absolute nonsense is, well, nonsense.

Allowing a club to walk all over us in that way isn't give or take. It's capitulation and would mean other clubs would treat us like that in the future.

The club was 100% correct to turn down the Man Utd offer. The club was also 100% correct to turn down the bs offer from West Ham when they pulled their usual West Ham trick.

If someone didn't want to pay 15 million for him in the last window maybe he should look to his performances last season rather than bleating about the worst months of his life and then getting a series of suspicious injuries.

If he'd performed last season the way he had in prior ones he'd have had his pick of clubs.
I find absolutely nothing in this post which I do not agree with ! Well said !

He may have feigned a migraine and a back problem, which is poor if true but he also had Covid before the back complaints and there is reason to believe that the club may have been protecting him from injury too.

My wife’s a nurse and I’ve picked up a little bit about the effect of COVID from the distance learning and presentations I overhear. For what it’s worth here the after effects of this virus on health can be quite long term. EVEN if it’s mild to start with. It’s not impossible by any stretch that the 2 are related.

Surely if he has any sense (and his agent) he will get his head down and play here, and who knows go out with a promotion....then be a free agent, a good signing on fee and PL club salary

King is a great player and he was told if he extended he would be able to leave. He was then told after a rejected offer came in from United that he would be able to leave over the summer. He had multiple hamstring issues so was out for stints but put in good shifts when he played last season. He was then not allowed to leave over the summer. He had his shirt number taken off him and was then put on the subs bench if he was lucky because he wasn't committed enough to play first the first 11. There are two sides to this story. He may have feigned a migraine and a back problem, which is poor if true but he also had Covid before the back complaints and there is reason to believe that the club may have been protecting him from injury too. Would we definitely have done better in his shoes? Are any of us 100% committed to staying with our employers long term if other options come up? Wish people would cut the fella a bit of slack. He may noy have conducted himself well all the time but he'said human and I think the club have not treated him brilliantly either. He's been a real grafter over the years and he's no Weeman. I think there's a wider issue here too. If players aren't allowed to leave early when they extend, players will be reluctant to extend at all through fear of being tied in for longer.... Are we then to condemn them for not extending? Two sides to this story and I don't think King deserves all the negative comments he has received. Everyone sings Ake's praises but how do we know how he would have responded if he hadn't been allowed to leave. I wish Kingy well. Not sure about his new hairstyle but he's been one of our most consistent and hardworking players over the years.
No disrespect Gloria but you have missed out some very important details from that story, not least that King was told he would be allowed to leave but ONLY if a club met our valuation for him. Man U made an offer very late in the window and gave us no time to find a replacement, they had the entirety of January to get it done and if they really wanted him then they would have done. The offers in the Summer were well below valuation, what do you expect our evil club to do? Potentially lose out on millions of pounds to avoid upsetting poor vulnerable Joshua?

No disrespect Gloria but you have missed out some very important details from that story, not least that King was told he would be allowed to leave but ONLY if a club met our valuation for him. Man U made an offer very late in the window and gave us no time to find a replacement, they had the entirety of January to get it done and if they really wanted him then they would have done. The offers in the Summer were well below valuation, what do you expect our evil club to do? Potentially lose out on millions of pounds to avoid upsetting poor vulnerable Joshua?
We have missed out on millions of pounds by keeping him tbf.....if he had any sense he'd wait until the summer and go on a free which will maximise his earning power for what is probably his last chance at a big contract.
He might not have much choice in the matter anyway as if West Ham don't want him then he might only have the relegation fodder to chose from which really wouldn't make any sense tbh.......if he rips the Championship up in the second half of the season then he'll obviously have a few more teams interested....especially on a free......i thought the fact that he wanted to play on Saturday was quite telling....he might have realised that his early season antics haven't done him any favours and the only way he can secure a good move is to play and play well!

We have missed out on millions of pounds by keeping him tbf.....if he had any sense he'd wait until the summer and go on a free which will maximise his earning power for what is probably his last chance at a big contract.
He might not have much choice in the matter anyway as if West Ham don't want him then he might only have the relegation fodder to chose from which really wouldn't make any sense tbh.......if he rips the Championship up in the second half of the season then he'll obviously have a few more teams interested....especially on a free......i thought the fact that he wanted to play on Saturday was quite telling....he might have realised that his early season antics haven't done him any favours and the only way he can secure a good move is to play and play well!
The club has to weigh it up though, they clearly rate King as a very good player who has the potential to help us to get straight back up (rightly or wrongly,) so losing him from their perspective is reducing our chances of going back up and as a result, reducing our future potential income. So any bid would have to be good enough to make that consequence worth while in their eyes. In the grand scheme of things in today’s football market, risking 7m on the chance we could get promoted is not a huge gamble.

The club has to weigh it up though, they clearly rate King as a very good player who has the potential to help us to get straight back up (rightly or wrongly,) so losing him from their perspective is reducing our chances of going back up and as a result, reducing our future potential income. So any bid would have to be good enough to make that consequence worth while in their eyes. In the grand scheme of things in today’s football market, risking 7m on the chance we could get promoted is not a huge gamble.
No i agree....it makes more sense for both parties to wait until the summer......

And tbh it kind of pisses me off when people try to make the argument that the club has treated King badly. It’s nonsense. The club has done well out of King but he has done just as well out of the club. How many other top division teams were lining up to sign him when he was Blackburn’s third choice striker? How many other top level clubs would have continued to persist with him after his at best sub-standard performances in his first few months with us? At any other club he’d never have been seen again. AFCB (and more accurately EH) gave Josh the platform to develop and showcase his talents at the top level when nobody else would, in fact the very team that he dreams of playing for were the ones who through him on the scrap heap! Frankly I think King should show some gratitude and be putting in every ounce of mental and physical energy that he has for the AFCB cause to repay us for giving him the chance in the first place, it is only down to us that he will get his big move at the end of the season after all. If it wasn’t for us he’d likely have been a journey man championship player at best for the last 5 years.

And tbh it kind of pisses me off when people try to make the argument that the club has treated King badly. It’s nonsense. The club has done well out of King but he has done just as well out of the club. How many other top division teams were lining up to sign him when he was Blackburn’s third choice striker? How many other top level clubs would have continued to persist with him after his at best sub-standard performances in his first few months with us? At any other club he’d never have been seen again. AFCB (and more accurately EH) gave Josh the platform to develop and showcase his talents at the top level when nobody else would, in fact the very team that he dreams of playing for were the ones who through him on the scrap heap! Frankly I think King should show some gratitude and be putting in every ounce of mental and physical energy that he has for the AFCB cause to repay us for giving him the chance in the first place, it is only down to us that he will get his big move at the end of the season after all. If it wasn’t for us he’d likely have been a journey man championship player at best for the last 5 years.
I agree with some of this but, he's the one with talent, Eddie just brought it out, he was pretty young when he joined us, so he more than likely would have risen to the top with another club.
£1m for a striker who scored 50 goals in the prem for us, is a pretty good return, ask sheff utd, they've paid close on £50m for their 3!
Kings still playing for us, scored twice on Saturday. Whether he faked injury or not, we'll probably never know. But he seems to put the effort in when he's played.
If he leaves now for a few million or in the summer on a free, I dont think we can complain either way, we've had our monies worth ten times over

The chances are that Blackburn are entitled to a sell on fee of, what, 20 or 25% in excess of £1 million. That makes any offer less attractive, especially when compared to the rewards that promotion would bring.

can't disagree with any of the above
assuming any transfer is not now going to happen,
assuming he's fit to play, and
assuming he's our best striker (debatable, but bear with)
is he now our first choice striker and starts tonight?

But are valuations realistic? We're in a pandemic. He's 28 going on 29 and has two dodgy hamstrings. He may have been told "You'll be free to go for a reasonable price". Maybe the price expected isn't reasonable. It works both ways. If clubs want players to extend and then make money on them, there has to be some flexibility. Otherwise, players will just run down their contracts and who can blame them if their club has a history of pricing out other players to block moves and prove points.

But are valuations realistic? We're in a pandemic. He's 28 going on 29 and has two dodgy hamstrings. He may have been told "You'll be free to go for a reasonable price". Maybe the price expected isn't reasonable. It works both ways. If clubs want players to extend and then make money on them, there has to be some flexibility. Otherwise, players will just run down their contracts and who can blame them if their club has a history of pricing out other players to block moves and prove points.

It is a valid point for any offers in the summer, but aside from Josh, the club can point at “success stories” of Ake, Ramsdale, C Wilson (and I’m sure we will be adding Brooks to that list within the next 24months) who developed with us and then were allowed to leave when an acceptable offer came in. So it’s hardly like we have now developed a reputation in such a negative light and in my opinion players would not be willing to refuse contract extensions based on one example.

It is a valid point for any offers in the summer, but aside from Josh, the club can point at “success stories” of Ake, Ramsdale, C Wilson (and I’m sure we will be adding Brooks to that list within the next 24months) who developed with us and then were allowed to leave when an acceptable offer came in. So it’s hardly like we have now developed a reputation in such a negative light and in my opinion players would not be willing to refuse contract extensions based on one example.

"Acceptable" is subjective. Like I said, King is 28 going on 29. He has a short contract length left and two dodgy hamstrings. Oh and we're in the middle of a pandemic with pressure on clubs to watch their finances. All these things impact what clubs believe "acceptable" is. My point was that I think the constant King bashing from some people is out of proportion because there are two sides to the story. We also can't criticise other players for wanting to run down contracts if it's going to be difficult for them to leave when they want to.

Sounded as though Eddie was trying to help king get to Man Utd - said in an interview we don’t want to sell but know how special Man Utd are to josh. I don’t know but maybe we didn’t have time to react to get a suitable replacement.

Seems like the offers in summer were so low otherwise we would have accepted or clubs didn’t have cash to structure the deal correctly - if a club really wanted josh then I don’t think the valuation was an issue tbh. He didn’t set the world alight last season (maybe with injury disrupting his form) and this has reduced his marketability just like Fraser and Wilson.

Everton have cooled their interest in Bournemouth striker Joshua King, 29, with the Norway international said to be looking for a £120,000-a-week deal. (Sun)

Everton have cooled their interest in Bournemouth striker Joshua King, 29, with the Norway international said to be looking for a £120,000-a-week deal. (Sun)

Poor Josh, nasty AFCB blocking him from his deserved move* ;)

*admittedly, the sun may not be the most reliable of sources and if he moves in the summer no transfer fee would equate to signing on/higher wages so he’s probably quite happy to try his luck now or wait for more offers in the summer.

We are going to be stuck with him aren’t we

;