Jumping the gun, way too early, pat on the back to AFCB thread

northstandmark

UTC Legend
Having seen all our games so far, I've had a chance to see all 3 new signings in action for a couple of games each. So please let me stick my neck out, and say well done to AFCB on the recruitment this summer. Because it's more common for us to criticise the recruitment, and for the media to do likewise as being Eddie's one blind spot.

All of Rico, Lerma, and Brooks look like they are of the required standard and able to mix it in the first team straight off the bat. They have the ability and more importantly the trust of Eddie. Which is nice compared to the usual season long bedding in period that many signings have to go through before they start PL games. That we threw two newbies in away at Chelsea, and both performed pretty well, speaks highly. Add Brooks being trusted away at West Ham and proving instrumental to our win there. It's great to see.

All of Rico, Lerma, and Brooks look like they add something different to the squad: More pace from left back and more set piece danger, an athletic midfield destroyer, and a genuine number 10 or narrow winger able to play quality through balls. All areas we've lacked in.

I feel optimistic that we have struck a successful hit ratio on recruitment this summer, and it's only fair to give Eddie and the club credit for that.

I appreciate it's still early days for them all, tell me to pipe down, wait and see if you wish. I'm just excited about them given what I've seen :)

I think this has easily been our best summer window in the prem. Got decent money on deadwood players and made great targeted acquisitions.

Agreed. Full marks this summer. Rico has been the pick of the 3 so far for me - the cross on the run which Wilson should have converted on Sat was sublime, and he was unlucky not to break the crossbar v MK Dons.

I believe Eddie is replacing players that have gone or soon will be gone due to age. Brook's for Ritchie, he tried Ibe there but it hasn't quite worked out. Rico for Daniels who will be too old soon and Lerma for Surman. His next signings will be a forward instead of Defoe and a replacement for Francis, he has tried Cook over on the right side but he is not so effective.

The only downside to our recruitment is that it seems to have ostracised Lewis Cook. I hope this is temporary as I'd love to see a midfield of Lerma as the enforcer and Cook as the slightly more attacking, creative force.

On their own merits, though, Brooks looks skillful, Rico direct and Lerma has been making some excellent interceptions.

Once again, we have our best ever squad.

We were discussing the L. Cooke/Lerma combination of the weekend, potential to be the centre of our team for a few years to come

Agree with most of what’s been posted.

Brooks looks very much like a Ritchie. Coming inside onto his left foot. A playmaking wide midfielder rather than a flying winger. I’d say Brooks has the potential to be better than Ritchie in this role due to his superior vision and composure.

With Lerma I see him as a more box to box player than pure defensive enforcer. Ultimately I think he’ll replace Gosling in the side rather than Surman. Alongside Cook, it has the potential to be a very exciting combination.

Strengthened the squad, good transfer window, competition for places. I hope Junior can get in the team when he's fit.

Definitely on board with this, I think I posted something similar. From over here, I have seen possibly 5-6 other games and there is very little in the "other 13" that looks scary. Other than Watford, no one is making a mark and I really like the depth of squad compared to the likes of Palace, Soton, Leicester - well, you name it, really. The next two games should provide an interesting test to the optimism.

The thing I am most pleased with is that Eddie has finally identified the weaknesses in the starting eleven and acted on it.
Last season if there were poor performances,the same names were cropping up.
Daniels,Surman,Ibe,Francis.
Eddie has finally recognised that when everyone is available ,that Smith should start over Francis.
Rico was thrown in for Daniels as soon as he was available,ditto Lerma for Surman.
Brooks was also given the nod over Ibe.
We have the strongest squad since we have been in this League and I'll stick my neck out and say we are already looking stronger than last season and I think this could be our best season yet.

Fixtures have been kind to us so far, we will have a lean November and Christmas. I think that will be the real test.

That said I concur with the consensus that early evidence suggests a really successful window, normally it takes 18 months for a new player to bed in but we've had an immediate impact.

Way to early to suggest that we have improved the side/squad, let 10 games go by and we will be able to properly judge.

What is the matter with you people?!

Everyone knows recruitment at AFCB is an absolute shambles...

Dawson told us so... :unsure:

Yawn....

It used to be...it now isn’t. Not difficult to understand.

I never said it would be bad forever.

File this with ‘dawson says we haven’t got a plan b’ which I stopped saying once we developed one.

I know some people on here are stuck in a view that must last for ever but don’t confuse me with them please....

Yawn....

It used to be...it now isn’t. Not difficult to understand.

I never said it would be bad forever.

File this with ‘dawson says we haven’t got a plan b’ which I stopped saying once we developed one.

I know some people on here are stuck in a view that must last for ever but don’t confuse me with them please....

so you think our recruitment team have done a good job this summer, neil, or are you just too embarrassed to say so?

;