Kieran Tierney

As we head into the silly season you can bet your bottom dollar that there will be transfer stories all summer about Kieran Tierney. It’s an indication of the esteem in which the lad is held.

But £20m from Bournemouth? Give me a break. I’m not having that. I wouldn’t be entertaining that for a second.

First things first. Celtic don’t want to sell and the boy doesn’t want to go. Second of all, how high he goes is entirely up to him.

I won’t be the first person or last to say this but Kieran is a player who has the potential to go all the way to be the very top in the game – and I mean the very top. But only if he makes that call himself.

I know how happy and how settled he is at Celtic. Who is to say that he doesn’t buck the trend and decide to be a one-man club? It’s no-one else’s decision to make other than his.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport...for_Celtic_s_Kieran_Tierney__Give_me_a_break/

...thing is IF he goes to Man U or Tottenham he will spend much time as a benchwarmer or cup player...and he probably would have moved for the money alone...I am not sure I would want a player like that anyway?

If you look at Fraser, Ake, and Lewis Cook they have had Howe's steady influence and have developed well...I have also seen a report that Ben Gibson or Middlesborough maybe on our radar, their fans are also dissing us as small fry...but you have to ask why no big club has taken a punt on him? probably because he isn't ready for them yet? and he would benefit from a spell in our team too....

As you say, Howe is the only ace we hold re attracting talent. As for Gibson, a boro fan told me he stayed this season out of family loyalty. Not sure if true or not but he is a prem player.

Now into a robust, tough to knock of the ball, versatile wide man who never stops running all game, scores goals, wins tackles and headers, none of which he did in his early years.

One of my favourite bits of that Chelsea match was watching Fraser win 5 or 6 headers, thought it kinda summed up the match in microcosm

We're dreaming if we can attract players like him. We have to presume that they don't watch Premier League football and at the minute, who will want to join what is a sinking ship heading into next season..

This is a rubbish comment and surprised nobody else picked up on it. Join a sinking ship?? Great support there!! People have said for three years that 'next season will be really tough'....and we've been ok. Like this season. No reason right now to make out Eddie won't do what is needed next year too.

This is a rubbish comment and surprised nobody else picked up on it. Join a sinking ship?? Great support there!! People have said for three years that 'next season will be really tough'....and we've been ok. Like this season. No reason right now to make out Eddie won't do what is needed next year too.
Sinking ship in terms of performances and results. However possibly the wrong term used.

I imagine he will have a pick of a bunch of teams and this end of season wimper is what I imagine will stick in a lot of potential signings minds. I imagine he would of also seen that it takes a while for our new signings to “bed in”.

Would be highly surprised if he fancied us, even if we had a bid accepted. Stranger things have happened though I suppose!

As you say, Howe is the only ace we hold re attracting talent. As for Gibson, a boro fan told me he stayed this season out of family loyalty. Not sure if true or not but he is a prem player.

I think that's right. He was interviewed on football focus or something. His Dad or Grandad or something is the boro chairman and whichever it was (I forget now and wasn't properly paying attention in the first place) also gave it the "my lad loves my club and won't be going nowhere even when we get relegated" schtick in his best smoggie accent.

But if he moves down here, where will he get his chicken parmo on a Friday night?

Sinking ship in terms of performances and results. However possibly the wrong term used.

I imagine he will have a pick of a bunch of teams and this end of season wimper is what I imagine will stick in a lot of potential signings minds. I imagine he would of also seen that it takes a while for our new signings to “bed in”.

Would be highly surprised if he fancied us, even if we had a bid accepted. Stranger things have happened though I suppose!

What surprises me is that all of our signings need time to bed in and get used to the way we play....I know we sign younger players due to financial constraints, Ake never got a sniff for 4 months on loan...we perhaps need to look at a couple of experienced players, perhaps Richard Hughes might after 4 years unearth a non British player who is of some use!
How come other teams coming up such as Huddersfield and Brighton can add half a dozen or so new players, who are no British and a lot less money and compete from the off?

What surprises me is that all of our signings need time to bed in and get used to the way we play....I know we sign younger players due to financial constraints, Ake never got a sniff for 4 months on loan...we perhaps need to look at a couple of experienced players, perhaps Richard Hughes might after 4 years unearth a non British player who is of some use!
How come other teams coming up such as Huddersfield and Brighton can add half a dozen or so new players, who are no British and a lot less money and compete from the off?

Which was bizarre and bonkers, just as Lewis Cook (having returned from injury last season) took about the same timeframe to get in the side. It's an Eddie trust related thing, I think.

I think its something EH needs to reconsider now he's dealing with better players, and if he wants to move to a big club himself sometime

Having watched the old firm derby at Celtic Park last weekend, Celtic played some fantastic exciting football which was great to watch. Compare that to us at Saints last sat and previous games I don’t think young Tierney would be too impressed or keen to move south.

Having watched the old firm derby at Celtic Park last weekend, Celtic played some fantastic exciting football which was great to watch. Compare that to us at Saints last sat and previous games I don’t think young Tierney would be too impressed or keen to move south.

West Brom would look exciting against Rangers tbf.

West Brom would look exciting against Rangers tbf.
True plus Hyndman was head and shoulders above the rest of the rangers team last season!

Re the settling of new players in to the Bmth way, I wonder if it’s the intensity of training that causes problems. Maybe take some time getting used to it?

I think its something EH needs to reconsider now he's dealing with better players, and if he wants to move to a big club himself sometime

Or it's something to be praised for.

Ake impressed following that period.

Lewis Cook impressed following that period.

He did not do the same for Jordon Ibe or Tokelo Rantie, two other relatively expensive youngsters and they struggled to hit the ground running with Ibe only really hitting form after a period on the sidelines.

signings are always a gamble...often the ones you don't expect to come through work for you...like Francis...King and Stanislas tbh...

some who come with bigger reputations like Ibe & Smith (Liverpool youngsters) and Rantie (SA International) just don't do it...

We probably could all pick a list six or seven players who we think Eddie should sign and only half of them would do the business?

We have to fish in a smaller pool and consider the likes of Reid at Bristol City, who I watched this season and thought that he was a raw talent...This guy from Celtic, Tierney who has only had one really good season in The SPL and Meopham from Brentford who again represents a risk at high value...

the really hot prospects like Sessegnon...Maddison will cost inflated fees and will be coveted by the top six clubs...

Scotland full-back Andy Robertson has become a £40m player after a fabulous first season with Liverpool, according to former Anfield hero Mark Lawrenson.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/scotland/43984471

Tierney is at least on a par with Robertson, so £20M seems optimistic unless there is a massive sell on clause.

Robertson is only a £40m player because he is at Liverpool. When he was at Hull last year he was an £8m player.

OK there has been a bit of inflation in the market this season, but Robertson had proved himself already in the PL whereas Tierney hasn't. If the player wants to come to England, then Celtic will have very little chance to say no, just not sure it will be to AFCB

Tomlin certainly missed it

John Woodgate used to get them flown over to Madrid. so where there's a will here's a way

With regards to Tierney, Brendan Rogers is a long time admirer of EH, and also a fan of 'Juego de Posicion' so I would imagine that KT could fit in faster than our normal signings, as he'd be used to not standing in line with other players and the specific way we cover angles. So I think we've a better chance than yo might imagine. Obviously BR isn't going to want to lose him but if KT says he wants to go and his agent isn't pure money money then hopefully we might seem a far more attractive option than bench warming elsewhere

edit : It's also a clear statement of intent, and shows that we are serious about growing. Every time we make a decent signing, the next signing becomes a lot easier

;