Last nights Championship game

Garbo

UTC Legend
...anyone watch Rovrum v Cov?

pretty poor stuff and Rov were awful...but did notice that Robins always left two up when defending corners and this caused a few problems for the home side, I quite liked the idea, but doubt that Woody will be that maverick on Saturday!

I quite like Mark Robins as a manager and glad that he will keep Coventry up.

Didn't see it but tactically leaving players up rather depends on what you have at your disposal.

Personally, I would have two up left and right to force the opposition to keep 3 back, and someone lurking on the outside of the box where there is normally an attacker. Leaving a less congested box to defend the corner, particularly for the keeper should make it easier. But if you're rubbish at defending even that, then sometimes the chaos of everyone in the box to clear it just means it's harder for anyone to find clear space.

If we were better at our own set pieces and corners though, the rest would not matter.

Be interesting to know how many goals they’ve conceded from corners this season... to understand if it’s worked...

Although we never leave anyone forward and we're still one of the worst in the league at conceding from crosses / set pieces. I'm of a similar mind to Champagne Cherry. Given that neither Danjuma or Brooks / Stan are dominant in the air, stationing them on the left wing and the right wing must scare the opposition. I presume the averages from the stats show that crowding the box will give you a net gain, but I'm not sure the average team has aerial powerhouses like Arnie, Brooks and Stan.

Although we never leave anyone forward and we're still one of the worst in the league at conceding from crosses / set pieces. I'm of a similar mind to Champagne Cherry. Given that neither Danjuma or Brooks / Stan are dominant in the air, stationing them on the left wing and the right wing must scare the opposition. I presume the averages from the stats show that crowding the box will give you a net gain, but I'm not sure the average team has aerial powerhouses like Arnie, Brooks and Stan.

Just watch now ,and one of those players will score from a header...or not.

Having all players back on a pen(?). led to us not winning the league in EH 's second season (I think)when Doncaster (?) won against a Brentford side that hadn't marked all opposing players left up and conceded a last minute goal.

Watched the second half of Reading game tonight, plenty of balls into the box from Reading but Cardiff City won most of them and cleared the danger.

Then against the play City scored via a penalty.

In the last minutes of injury time Reading finally won a header in the box and it finished all square.

The Reading manager couldn’t get off the pitch quick enough, just remembering the handshake.

When defending a corner I'd like to see the return of one defender on the line at the far post and another on the line at the near post - just like the old days! Had we done that against Huddersfield then their pathetic headed goal from their corner would easily have been kicked off the line!

Also when we have a corner, I'd like to see the return of our famous near post flick on header which used to cause all sorts of problems for opposing defences!

When defending a corner I'd like to see the return of one defender on the line at the far post and another on the line at the near post - just like the old days! Had we done that against Huddersfield then their pathetic headed goal from their corner would easily have been kicked off the line!

Also when we have a corner, I'd like to see the return of our famous near post flick on header which used to cause all sorts of problems for opposing defences!
)

I would like a 'back up ' player lurking / prepared to run in,the space between the pen spot/far post so any overhit /backhanded corners can then be recycled back into the goal mouth.

;