Lerma - Rico

I thought as much. He’s already said we wouldn’t see Lerma for ‘some period’. Maybe both thrown in the first league cup game we have in September?

Hope we see him in the PL starting XI in September!...am I right in saying that all the other players that played in the later rounds of The WC were on duty this last weekend...surely Lerma must be ready soon?

Otherwise we should be asking Levante for some refunds!

Hope we see him in the PL starting XI in September!...am I right in saying that all the other players that played in the later rounds of The WC were on duty this last weekend...surely Lerma must be ready soon?

Otherwise we should be asking Levante for some refunds!
]

Just Eddie’s way of teaching them the ‘Eddie/AFCB’ way, so when they get their chance they will fit straight into our way of playing. Also while they are watching us they will get an idea of our referees and what they may or may not get away with. Rico received two yellows in his last game at his old club and Lerma has picked up a number of yellows, which we don’t want turning into reds.

yeah I get all that Billy...but the best way to learn is to be ON the pitch?

As for discipline that should come from the manager just telling them that he won't tolerate loose and poor attitude when playing??

anyway Rico got his suspension mainly due to his dissent to the official in his last match after he had just been booked!

]

Also while they are watching us they will get an idea of our referees and what they may or may not get away with. Rico received two yellows in his last game at his old club and Lerma has picked up a number of yellows, which we don’t want turning into reds.
Well I wish them luck with that BTK. There's little consistency among referees so I think Rico and Lerma will just end up confused.

Lerma's only had a week of training. The rest of our squad must have had around 5 weeks. It was always going to be a while before he was ready. I'd expect Rico to be ready to go now so its a shame about his suspension

I expect both will make their full debuts in the League Cup (whatever it's called today)
Might be nice to see them on the bench and perhaps getting run outs here and there if the opportunity presents.

Going back a good number of years when we had a reserve side that were in the Combination League and played midweek.

If we had any problems a player was fit and ready to go straight into the first team, pity our ‘reserves’ don’t get regular games and are mainly out on the training pitch.

Going back a good number of years....

This being the key point. Our First Team didn't play with the same level of tactical complexity and certainly not with the same level of physical intensity. In lower league football back in the day, you could carry the occassional out of shape player...simply not possible in the PL

This being the key point. Our First Team didn't play with the same level of tactical complexity and certainly not with the same level of physical intensity. In lower league football back in the day, you could carry the occassional out of shape player...simply not possible in the PL

I know you can’t compare the two, my point was more they did get to play matches and so were match fit.

Well, I would argue that another difference between years back and today is that we already have good enough players that there is no rush to throw Rico and Lerma in. We now have the luxury of a settling in period, due to the our options in defence and midfield.
Not something I'd want to complain about!

Just Eddie’s way of teaching them the ‘Eddie/AFCB’ way, so when they get their chance they will fit straight into our way of playing. Also while they are watching us they will get an idea of our referees and what they may or may not get away with. Rico received two yellows in his last game at his old club and Lerma has picked up a number of yellows, which we don’t want turning into reds.

One hopes that they're patient and toys don't get thrown out of prams in the meantime. Particularly from those with a £25m price tag on their shoulders.

I suspect we will see Lerma fairly soon on the subs bench.
he can't be that unfit he was playing 120 minutes of World Cup football against England only 5 weeks ago. Rico will be in the squad after his 3 match ban is over.

I suspect we will see Lerma fairly soon on the subs bench.
he can't be that unfit he was playing 120 minutes of World Cup football against England only 5 weeks ago. Rico will be in the squad after his 3 match ban is over.

Who do we drop from the bench though? It’s difficult with Cook, Defoe, Mousset, Mings, Ibe and Francis all on there. Without Stanislas, Pugh and Simpson as well. Headaches for Eddie!

Lovely problem for EH to have. When you compare our squad with the one which started life in the PL 3 years ago we are now far stronger. Of course in itself that doesn't guarantee anything but it gives us more than a fighting chance.

Come January when the Injuries are mounting up we won't be fretting hopefully and at last have the chance to do a bit of decent rotation.

I was really impressed with the starting 11 on Saturday. They all looked fit, strong and up for it, fair play to Franno as well when he came on. Clearly things behind the scenes on the playing side are going well.

Or drunk,

On the Hyndman thread this is a quote from Fraser about his time at Aberdeen. I think this would apply to the mentality of a lot of lower league English players 10 or so years ago

“It all stemmed from Aberdeen. I used to have Domino's all the time and ice creams from Baskin Robbins. I think up there, I don't want to sound disrespectful because the standard was good, but it was a lot better down here.

"I think even if I was eating rubbish up there I could get away with it, whereas down here I got found out straight away. People knew that I wasn't doing the best for my body, which has all changed now.”

So yes, reserve players may have had more games to keep fit, but the overall fitness level of the first XI wouldn’t have been great either. It was a lot easier for players to come in from the cold regardless of the amount of reserve team matches

;