Lewis Cook

Cook is head and shoulders over Surman and Gosling in ability and potential. If he's out of the side due to form, it will not be for long. He's got and touch and vision the other 2 haven't. Same goes for Lerma who, for someone playing in a foreign country without a grasp of the language or a full understanding of what the manager needs of him has been excellent. Another player whose sheer ability, touch and vision is there to see.

I think what we have got now is 4 very decent CM options, we will all have opinions on which is the best combination
Judging by last night we have good cover through the squad but I would love us to get someone who can play RB / right footed centre back

I think what we have got now is 4 very decent CM options, we will all have opinions on which is the best combination
Judging by last night we have good cover through the squad but I would love us to get someone who can play RB / right footed centre back
These are the final pieces of the puzzle for me

Cook is head and shoulders over Surman and Gosling in ability and potential. If he's out of the side due to form, it will not be for long. He's got and touch and vision the other 2 haven't. Same goes for Lerma who, for someone playing in a foreign country without a grasp of the language or a full understanding of what the manager needs of him has been excellent. Another player whose sheer ability, touch and vision is there to see.

I thought they did well together in central mid. Cook had a couple of mis places passes but on the whole a solid performance.

Potential doesnt stop the opposition cutting through the midfield which rovers did with ease too many times.
2 games, gosling out injured, 6 goals conceded to lowly opponents.

Cook and Lerma both have a good mix of passing, mostly positive rather than back or sideways, both have scored 0 goals from midfield.

Yet they both went missing for at least 15 minutes early in the second half - there were huge gaps at times. All our midfielders have the ability to drift out of games - they need to prevent the opposition from taking control.

Whenever, you play with just 2 CM's then of course there are going to be times when any half decent opposition can play through them.

There was a good tackle by Cook on half way in the 2nd half and also a time when Lerma went to press their back line, but still managed to get goalside once they had beaten our press to keep our shape intact. Neither Surman or Gosling would have been capable of this.

I thought both Cook and Lerma were good at times but also went missing at times. Lerma cocked up by being caught in possession 30 yards out for the goal that let a defeated Blackburn back in but hopefully he will learn from it. Cook displayed his characteristic sharp accurate passing but he didn't boss the midfield. Partnership will blossom but it ain't there yet.

So your saying unless Ake is dropped or injured,Mings won't get a start in the premier as that is all he is there for as back up for Ake.Surely if need be he could play left side of a back three with Ake central and Cook on the right,that's if Francis is out or swap Francis for Cook if he is out

Bit of a bump, but yes, this. Instead of bringing Francis on move Ake and Cook over one and have Mings at LCB. Or even in the middle of the 3 and move Cook to RCB and keep Ake left.

It was really evident last night just how uncomfortable Simpson was playing on the right. When he was under pressure, he had no idea where to play the ball.

In a way, we've been lucky that S Cook has managed to adjust to the right sided role, although the fact he is right footed obviously helps. I'd have thought Ake could adjust to being centre of a 3, but if you've grown up learning a specific position, making that adjustment must clearly be harder than a lot of fans realise.

Simpson was shown up playing at right CB during the pre-season game at Forest. He's so left-footed that players running at him on the right glide past and/or he's turned and drops out of position. So a puzzle that Eddie played him there again last night - and the result was similar.

I like Simpson a lot when the ball's on his left but surely we can't play him on the right - it's asking for trouble. With Francis slowing and increasingly accident-prone, do we need another right CB to cover Cook?

"I've got some tough calls to make for Crystal Palace."

This is it, Eddie Howe is the manager and he has to make those decisions.

The fans can have their say on this MB amongst other places, but if we make the wrong call it makes no difference to the result.

If Eddie or any other manager at their clubs makes the wrong call it can make a difference to the result.

Did you read the comments

Yes, seems to be a bunch of idiots that think Eddie is still picking the team now based on pre-season, rather than the first game of the season and is now picking based on the previous game and training.

You know, the entirely logical thing to do as a manager...

Mmmm.. yes I'm almost stamping.
You've given us one stat on one match (EFC) where Lewis was sub ie he only had 14 mins, time for just 9 passes Very weak biased evidence IMO.

Here is a stat (you chose not to include) Lewis made 100% pass completion against WHU & Chelsea both times as a sub, being fair & unbiased I wouldn't claim this as evidence either.

HOWEVER I would say that Surman has had a decent run in the side & the following reflects his performances.

Surman Since Cardiff 256 minutes playing time has contributed.
3 Tackles won
1 Shot
3 Aerials Won
1 Key Pass
No Dribbles

Where as Lewis Cook since Cardiff Just 30 minutes playing time (less than an eighth of Surmans) has contributed.
1 Shot
1 Aerial won &
3 Dribbles

You seem obsessed with Stats after only quoting one biased one, you then asked for some to support Cook which is why I have provided some. Personally I think there is a lot more to football than stats even though I do not feel the above stacks up to well for Surman considering mins played.

I do feel however the majority of Bmth fans feel Lewis Cook should be having a run in the side which is all we are saying.
The silence is deafening,though I know stats aren't always right,as Lewis didn't quite get Fraser through one on one with the keeper as the pass was cut out,so hundred per cent v Chelsea isn't right

Last edited:
It's getting like Baseball..people in the stands scribbling notes, or feeding stats into tablets. I don't mind the odd Stat if its of major importance but most of them just correspond to the laws of averages over a season. There is no consistency in team selection so that fact just blows most stats out of the water. Few of the players get a chance to show any meaningful sequences of Stats!

;