Lewis Dunk

The top level football is all about pace and technique, southgate thinks dunk and maguire tick those boxes.

It's a laugh really.

Steve Cook, played 116 PL games scoring 9 goals in a team that play out from the back with pace and attacking intent (allegedly the style Southgate wants to play) and he's in good form but doesn't get a look in.

I don't begrudge Dunk the spot. I think him, Cook and the Wolves bloke should all be in contention at the moment. Obviously I've seen more of Cook so might have a bias towards him. IMO Maguire shouldn't be there based on club form, but then again he's received a lot of praise whenever he's played for England.

I don't begrudge Dunk the spot. I think him, Cook and the Wolves bloke should all be in contention at the moment. Obviously I've seen more of Cook so might have a bias towards him. IMO Maguire shouldn't be there based on club form, but then again he's received a lot of praise whenever he's played for England.

Maguire looks good for England because he is playing alongside quicker defenders, who can get him out of the mire. At Leicester he plays next to Wes Morgan, who is an even bigger carthorse than he is.

Dunk is also of the carthorse variety

I don't think criticizing other clubs players is a good idea before we've played them...just talk up your own! I had a conversation once with Bobby Robson when he was in Portugal and he told me and a few friends that ...plus all his superstitions and some funny stories about Gazza!

Doesn't make sense to me, Dunk has always has a clanger in him. I recall against us there'd almost always be a own goal or a red card. Can't be an age thing, as there's only about six months between them. I reckon that because he's been in Premier League less time and is slimmer he just appears younger to Southgate's eye

It’s a shame for Cookie he doesn’t get a call up ,certainly a superior player to Dunk who others have already said plays in a defensive team .
I’m pretty ambivalent though to be honest ,we don’t need injuries at this point in the season ,hope the players enjoy their weekend off ..we know they’re class.

For what? I agree Cook should get a call up but Southgate got us to the semis of a World Cup for the first time in 28 years ago 3 months ago ffs. What’s he going to get found out for?

Not being able to get a side together that can score from open play. He brought the team together as a unit really well but be honest we got through to the semis by being a set piece team. We lost twice to Belgium and once to Croatia.

He needs to pick players that fit his playing style. It's no good wanting fast attacking from foot play if you are going to pick from the likes of Burnley (less than 1 goal a game last season) and Brighton who play cautious and defensive.

Not being able to get a side together that can score from open play. He brought the team together as a unit really well but be honest we got through to the semis by being a set piece team. We lost twice to Belgium and once to Croatia.

He needs to pick players that fit his playing style. It's no good wanting fast attacking from foot play if you are going to pick from the likes of Burnley (less than 1 goal a game last season) and Brighton who play cautious and defensive.

Semi finals or not. The likes of Sven, Fabio, Roy couldn’t get us there despite the hype. Just because he hasn’t picked a cherries player wrongly or rightly doesn’t mean we start saying he shouldn’t manage the national team or will ‘get found out soon.’ It was the best England side we’ve had for decades a couple of months ago.

;