Live Stream Buffering on Smart TV??

Toronto John

Fans' Favourite
When accessing AFCB ........... either live matches or videos ......... it works fine on my laptop but buffers on my Smart TV. Was good last season but not now. I am told that Smart TV browsers do not update like laptops do, and the FAQ on the club site indicates "Smart TV browsers are not supported but may work.
We are not held responsible if you experience issues with the streams on unsupported devices even if they have worked previously."

Anyone else experiencing this? Not the end of the world, simply connect laptop to TV using HDMI cable and it's fine. Just a bit "old school".

Thanks.

Every model is different but this worked for some people. May not be exactly the same on yours but see if it helps:

"In the TV browser go to the "internet menu", the icon that looks like three horizontal bars ( thus called the burger menu) which is right next to the X to close the browser window along the top bar. Click on that and you will see a button for "desktop view" make sure it is selected, that's it. "

Different these days but back in the days of Radio Rentals an English tv wouldn't work properly in France. Not sure why, some technical gubbins due to the broadcasting standards.

That's why when I studied there for a year we had to buy one second hand. A proper old fashioned monster that somehow lost the power to produce the colour green partway through the year. Watching football being played on pitches that were kind of pink was an odd experience.

When accessing AFCB ........... either live matches or videos ......... it works fine on my laptop but buffers on my Smart TV. Was good last season but not now. I am told that Smart TV browsers do not update like laptops do, and the FAQ on the club site indicates "Smart TV browsers are not supported but may work.
We are not held responsible if you experience issues with the streams on unsupported devices even if they have worked previously."

Anyone else experiencing this? Not the end of the world, simply connect laptop to TV using HDMI cable and it's fine. Just a bit "old school".

Thanks.
If "old school" works, why change it.
I have a smart tv but never bother, still use the HDMI cable from the computer.

If "old school" works, why change it.
I have a smart tv but never bother, still use the HDMI cable from the computer.
It's no big deal, just a pain to have to schlepp the laptop, power cord and mouse down to the TV, get an extension cord, etc. But, all that did work OK today. Will try @kirsikka's idea when I get a chance.
@canadiancherry ......... isn't casting deemed verboten by the club?

Thanks guys.

It's no big deal, just a pain to have to schlepp the laptop, power cord and mouse down to the TV, get an extension cord, etc. But, all that did work OK today. Will try @kirsikka's idea when I get a chance.
@canadiancherry ......... isn't casting deemed verboten by the club?

Thanks guys.
Hey TJ.
No, a Chromecast only allows you to "cast" video from one of your devices to another device that you own, as long as they are both on the same wifi network.
So it only works inside your own house. Nothing remotely illegal or discouraged about it; in fact the AFCBTV web app supports Chromecast.
The sort of foolproof thing about it is that it's basically a little HDMI stick that you plug into your TV. So your TV doesn't need to know what's going on; you just select the appropriate HDMI port and you're good.
I have a very old (2009) TV and my Chromecast basically makes it into a smart TV.
In some ways, it's easier than using the sometimes complicated "apps" built into smart TVs, because you can control everything from your phone.

Hey TJ.
No, a Chromecast only allows you to "cast" video from one of your devices to another device that you own, as long as they are both on the same wifi network.
So it only works inside your own house. Nothing remotely illegal or discouraged about it; in fact the AFCBTV web app supports Chromecast.
The sort of foolproof thing about it is that it's basically a little HDMI stick that you plug into your TV. So your TV doesn't need to know what's going on; you just select the appropriate HDMI port and you're good.
I have a very old (2009) TV and my Chromecast basically makes it into a smart TV.
In some ways, it's easier than using the sometimes complicated "apps" built into smart TVs, because you can control everything from your phone.
OK thanks. I seem to remember you pointed me in this direction some time ago, but cannot recall why I didn't try it. Could be that the Smart TV made it unnecessary at the time.

My ISP noted that my modem seems to be degrading so getting a new one Monday. Will see if that makes a difference.

;