Liverpool Report and MOM

DJ

With Neil Dawson away, would anyone like to do a report for the front page?

Cherries crushed by rampant league leaders.......

Going into this game against the runaway league leaders and reigning European champions, the Cherries were on a horror run of 4 straight defeats and injuries to several key players. This game was always going to be tough, but the Dean Court faithful hoped to at least witness a spirited disply that gave hope for the fixtures to come and for no more injuries...... Oh dear!

The mos unsurprising part of the afternoon was the line-up - Eddie's trusted captain and RB Francis replacing Smith at RB, the continuatuion oif 2 holding midfielders in Lerma and Billing and the nn socring strike duo of Wilson and Solanke up top, these all forning part of .... the yes you guessed it the 442 formation.

The game started predicatbly with Liverpool dominating possession passing with ease, although to be fair apart from one early Salah shot that Ramsdale comfortably dealt with, we did a reasonable job of keeping them at bay. Unfortunately we were not getting much joy on the counter attack, one snap shot from Wislon went wide. Solanke ws played through for what looked like a good chance, but he never properly got the ball out of his feet an Van Djik dealt with it easlily.

Then just after the half hour - the biggest of body blows, Salah was played through and looked for allt he world as if he would put the visitors ahead, Ake got back and made a brilliant slide tackle to avert the danger, however he immediately cluched the back of his leg - everybody's fears realised his hamstring was gone and he limped off to be replaced by Simpson. 30 seconds later and Liverpool were ahead to an all too familiar type goal, Henderson played a long 50 yeard ball over the tope which caught Mepham and Simpson ont heir heels. Oxlaide Chamberlain was in between then in a flash and poked the ball home beyond the advancing Ramsdale. That was essentially game over and a minute before half time it was 2-0 when Keita slipped the ball to Salah on the edge of the area before accepting the return pass and dinking the ball past Ramsdale.

H/T 0-2.

The 2nd ha;f was complete Liverpool domination. The 3rd goal arriving 9 minutes into the 2nd half. Simpson gave the ball away carelessly and the ball was slipped into Salah who finished with ease. The rest of the game was played out with Liverpool in complete control and only a couple of Ramsdale saves kept the scoreline down. Lewis Cook arrived for the ineffective Billing and towards the end a further blow when Wilson pulled up from chasing a ball down the channel and clutched at his hamstring area - he was replaced by Gosling for the final few minutes.

F/T 0-3

Ratings:

Ramsdale 7 - No chance with the goals and a couple of good saves.

Francis 6 - Did ok today stuck to his task against the best attacking line in the league.

Mepham 5 Shaky and caught for the all important first goal. I think lack of games is showing him up at this level - he may get a run now though.

Ake 8 - Looked to be in imperious form before injury, was marshalling Salah well until injuring his hamstring with that brilliant tackle

Simpson 4 - Difficult circumstances to come on and the toughest of opposition, but is nowhere near ready for this level.

Rico 6 - Same as Francis, kept going but not much chance to get forward

Danjuma - 6 Tried, but limited possession so difficult to judge, had goal correctly ruled out for offside.

Fraser 5 - Didn't to a lot wrong but nowhere near the player of last season and is not getting involved enough

Billing 4 - poor game, not sure what he is offering at the moment, not a partnership with Lerma

Lerma 6 - Tried, snapped in as ever, no yellow card for a change was up against far superior opposition.

Solanke 4 - No threat, no confidence, willing runner but we need so much more.

Wislon 4 - Not in the game at all, one early snap shot, but need so much more effort. We cannot afford his injury, but maybe a week or 2 out will help him re focus.

Subs Cook 5 - tried but so difficult to come on when the team don't have the ball

Gosling - No real chance to impact the game

MOM - I'll go for Lerma, always gives 100% and plays his role to perfection. If we could only work out the rest of the midfield around him.

Verdict

Liverpool are running away with the league this year, this game would have been difficult for a fully fit and firing Cherries - we had no chance today.

I know we have always had injuries but currently Smith, S Cook, Brooks, King now joined by Ake and Callum Wilson as well as the likes of Stanislas etc, we just cannot compete with that sort of injury list. I have seen comments already tonight that these are not accidental, but I can't agree. Yes you can look at our game style and training methods, but some of these injuries are just freakish and the footballing gods are being very cruel at the moment.

Where we can impact this is formation and tactics. I do think we need to get back to dominating the ball and going at teams. Yes this would leave us exposed at the back, but we would score goals and pick up points. Also for some reason Eddie just plain refuses to play 3 in midfield. We really must surely try a midfiled of Lerma L Cook and Gosling/Surman/Billing that would give us greater control of the ball. This team has completely lost it's identity at the moment and as soon as we go behind the game is over as the players to not have the belief to turn it around. Contrast this to just 2 seasons ago when we were the best team at picking up points from losing positions. This is our darkest hour since we have been in the Premier League and I am struggling to see how we can turn it around at the moment. Worrying times.

Last edited:
Thanks for the report. I agree with most but you cannot be serious about Ramsdale? No chance with the first goal and no mention of distribution? He's had a solid season but a 5 today would be very generous.

Thanks for the report. I agree with most but you cannot be serious about Ramsdale? No chance with the first goal and no mention of distribution? He's had a solid season but a 5 today would be very generous.

You think he should have done better with goals 2 and 3? A couple of dodgy bits of distribution but also 2-3 very good saves 2nd half, thought he was solid IMO.

Yep, Lerma MOM again for me; when he has travelled back from international break, he's rested or struggled, but has to be our most quality, reliable player over the season so far - still, not half way there yet, the squad, surely as good as it's ever been & injuries aside, we'd be much further on in my opinion. We'll be ok.

Unfortunately Liverpool, cut above.

You think he should have done better with goals 2 and 3? A couple of dodgy bits of distribution but also 2-3 very good saves 2nd half, thought he was solid IMO.

First goal was a howler from his perspective. Goals 2 and 3 were not any mistake of his, perhaps he could have made himself a fraction bigger for number 3, but that's being extremely picky. His distribution today was very, very bad. In the first half I'm not sure if he had a kick that stayed in play, and it didn't get a lot better in the second half. Surrendering possession like that puts you under unnecessary pressure. I think in relation to the other ratings, 5 would have been more than fair.

I also think probably Lerma deserved at least a 7.

Listening on the Radio....I was disappointed early on..thinking that we were going to attack them with a good noise behind us..all I got was Lovren this Lovren that ..I dont think it was Love for Lovren from the commentator ..he just had a hard on!
Then it was Alexander- Arnold for another 10 minutes...so I turned it off..to turn it round...made a coffee...
...switched back on ...more A-A....even more annoying with two names!
More Lovren...and Milner trying to steal into the commentators greasy rhetoric.
F#ck knows where Salah was...probably somewhere near a corner flag discussing Brexit and Scottish Nationalism with Fraser!
Turned it off again....because the bloody radio prat started going on about Joshua ( not King. no.... Josh the friggin boxer!)

Back on just before HT...
...the missus had to revive me.....Boscombe got a mention ...Callum taking a throw - in I think it was.
I couldnt face the 2nd half....went into garden and repaired the bird- table...looks better than the bloody league table!
Radio on again in a minute; ..Joshua/Ruiz....hoping they might interrupt to mention the other Josh returning or Solanke getting punchy next week v Chelsea!

Listening on the Radio....I was disappointed early on..thinking that we were going to attack them with a good noise behind us..all I got was Lovren this Lovren that ..I dont think it was Love for Lovren from the commentator ..he just had a hard on!
Then it was Alexander- Arnold for another 10 minutes...so I turned it off..to turn it round...made a coffee...
...switched back on ...more A-A....even more annoying with two names!
More Lovren...and Milner trying to steal into the commentators greasy rhetoric.
F#ck knows where Salah was...probably somewhere near a corner flag discussing Brexit and Scottish Nationalism with Fraser!
Turned it off again....because the bloody radio prat started going on about Joshua ( not King. no.... Josh the friggin boxer!)

Back on just before HT...
...the missus had to revive me.....Boscombe got a mention ...Callum taking a throw - in I think it was.
I couldnt face the 2nd half....went into garden and repaired the bird- table...looks better than the bloody league table!
Radio on again in a minute; ..Joshua/Ruiz....hoping they might interrupt to mention the other Josh returning or Solanke getting punchy next week v Chelsea!
Bill, I know I'm being pedantic but Trent Alexander-Arnold replaced Lovren after 40 mins so apart from the swap over neither were on the pitch at the same time.
T A-A is a great player mind..

Bill, I know I'm being pedantic but Trent Alexander-Arnold replaced Lovren after 40 mins so apart from the swap over neither were on the pitch at the same time.
T A-A is a great player mind..

Thats right.. he just talked about him incessantly even before he came on!
They have favourites! Awful commentary!

Would love to see Lovren’s stats because he had the ALL the time before he was subbed. Anyone know why he went off so early?

Would love to see Lovren’s stats because he had the ALL the time before he was subbed. Anyone know why he went off so early?

Think there was a conscious effort to mark Van Dijk and let Lovren have the ball - as he’s the weakest passer in their team (quite a common tactic v Liverpool)

Went off injured - shame as TAA is a far better player

He was uncomfortable with either an ankle or hamstring. Was obvious from where I was sat.

Lerma 6, strewth!

We've shipped what the last three goals, due to long balls over the top?

So perhaps, a bit of smart coaching might suggest Fraser doesn't boot the ball back to the opposition 'keeper, following our stalwart defender going off injured, whilst all the players on the pitch are in our half, thus allowing Liverpool's goalie, to hoof the ball upfield and present a chance to the world class players we are facing, leading to their first goal.

Next time Ryan, drift the ball across toward the opposite corner flag, with a bit of back spin, to allow the defence to get in position (especially the lad who has just come on).

Ake? Have we really been screwed again by the “big boys” to have to sale Ake for £40m rather than the£70m plus he’s worth? This follows hot on the heels or the disastrous dealings with the Liverpool throw outs at nearly £40m which they don’t rate or want back.

Thanks for the report, really appreciated.

Not sure how Ryan Fraser gets away with that first 25 minutes of being totally oblivious to Liverpool's movement around him. He couldn't even catch their shadows let alone the players themselves.

He was outdone for movement and pace by James Milner!

Last edited:

;