Lloyd Kelly

Lee Johnson (Bristol City's head coach) commented yesterday,
It was announced as a club record fee so read from that what you want. But it’s Premier League so it’s not like he’s moving sideways. I think he’s a centre-half long-term - and he’s a late developer. It works for all parties. It’s clever from Bournemouth - as the top six sides would have been looking at him. We have a vested interest. I assume we have a sell-on fee. His England performances have shown his quality. He’s learnt so many lessons this season and trained at England senior level. We’ve had to put an arm round him and give him a kick at times... He’s got the lot. My frustration is that I won’t get to work with him any longer.

He's a centre back long term and yet all of his highlights are just him doing good crosses and showing off "silky skillz".

Seems comfortable on the ball, watching some Bristol C highlights, and very comfortable on the left touch line, as you would hope. At the age of only 20, he's also got youth on his side and no doubt boundless energy which AFCB always need. I think he will see it as a huge step forward.

It's great to see Eddie showing faith in another youngster, and this time, one with proven England albeit U21 credentials.

I also see that LFC are a bit upset and some have disparaged us (no surprises there) but also some of them have been decent and wished him and us well. It's also great that Eddie has got in there early. Interesting times for AFCB. I wonder what the next breaking news will be!

I hope he is more of a left back. A back four of Daniels, kelly, ake, Smith would all be less than 6 ft!

I hope he is more of a left back. A back four of Daniels, kelly, ake, Smith would all be less than 6 ft!
Kelly is 6 foot 3 so would be our tallest defender.

Besides, with so few teams putting high balls into the box, height really isn’t the the main requirement for PL defenders these days. Positional sense and anticipation are far more important

Reactions: N19
Hi, just thought you might like an inside opinion. Kelly is the best player out of our academy for dome time. He stepped into the first team pretty effortlessly. He is cool and calm and very comfortable on the ball (occasionally a bit too comfortable!). He was seen by the club as a CB long term but due to the quality we had there last season and injuries he ended up playing LB alot and did really well. He has played CB for England U21s though and there's a reasonable chance hell be doing that at thd tournament this summer.
Hard to tell exactly how well he make the step up early on but no doubt he has the quality to do it.

Hi, just thought you might like an inside opinion. Kelly is the best player out of our academy for dome time. He stepped into the first team pretty effortlessly. He is cool and calm and very comfortable on the ball (occasionally a bit too comfortable!). He was seen by the club as a CB long term but due to the quality we had there last season and injuries he ended up playing LB alot and did really well. He has played CB for England U21s though and there's a reasonable chance hell be doing that at thd tournament this summer.
Hard to tell exactly how well he make the step up early on but no doubt he has the quality to do it.
I don't reckon he will be rushed into a first team start for a while but he is good insurance for us. Mind you we all thought the same about Davy Brooks.

I don't reckon he will be rushed into a first team start for a while but he is good insurance for us. Mind you we all thought the same about Davy Brooks.

Maybe he will as Daniels isn’t meant to be ready for the start of the season and depends how well rico (who should be fit) does

Maybe he will as Daniels isn’t meant to be ready for the start of the season and depends how well rico (who should be fit) does
I suppose we have got the option of
Smith at left back as well but I would hope Kelly is the insurance against that happening as there is no news of us being linked to any right backs as yet. I would hope that Clyne is a non starter but stranger things have happened.

Conor Roberts

edit: Conor and Lloyd pushing Smith and (a much improved and well settled) Rico would be ideal, as both have the potential to unseat their senior

;