Logistical Questions about Chicago / Trip to MN the 20th

Esquared1

Reserves
Allow me to be your American travel agent during your stay. :)

I'm definitely going to the match July 20th. For those who will be in Chicago, I'm 85% sure I will have the mini van that seats 6-7 (including me) for the trip up to MN. It's about a 6.5 hr drive.

My other tentative plan is to fly directly there from my business conference. Right now I'm planning to come back to Chicago on the 19th.

I'm betting my friend from college who is a players agent will meet us there.

Let's use this thread for 1) Coordinating travel to/from MN 2) General Chicago questions 3) If I can get to Chicago around the 12th - 16th, perhaps I and the Mrs. can get down there for dinner.

If you want to reach out via Facebook or email, please PM me.

We need to find out where they are staying and where they are training. Real stalker stuff like that :)

I know one person who knows somebody. I'm hoping to go a little bigger. Like get invited in to watch training. If you hang out at Sears (Willis) Tower all week, I'm sure you'll run into them!

I booked a room in Coon Rapids, which is about 4 miles from the venue. Apparently they have some big event happening at the facility so rooms are limited. The Best Western within 1/2 mile is booked.

Ticket Information: online at http://www.mnunitedfc.com/home
Phone: 1-763-476-2237

Added info: I called and talked to Ryan (Direct Line: 763-331-8772) and asked if they had a visitor's supporting section. Ryan stated they typically designate section 1 for that. When you see it on the map, you'll find they are the worst seats. :) There hasn't been any demand for it yet, but if they receive calls they'll do it.

Esquared1 - 29/6/2016 20:41

Allow me to be your American travel agent during your stay. :)

I'm definitely going to the match July 20th. For those who will be in Chicago, I'm 85% sure I will have the mini van that seats 6-7 (including me) for the trip up to MN. It's about a 6.5 hr drive.

My other tentative plan is to fly directly there from my business conference. Right now I'm planning to come back to Chicago on the 19th.

I'm betting my friend from college who is a players agent will meet us there.

Let's use this thread for 1) Coordinating travel to/from MN 2) General Chicago questions 3) If I can get to Chicago around the 12th - 16th, perhaps I and the Mrs. can get down there for dinner.

If you want to reach out via Facebook or email, please PM me.

Sorry for the quick hijack, but I love the"reach out" phrase. I'd never heard it until I started watching Sons Of Anarchy, but it's become quite popular on this side of the pond now.
Either that or it'd just passed me by for the last 50 years.

Sorry, carry on planning :lovers: :afcb: :7:

Esquared1 - 30/6/2016 15:30

Added info: I called and talked to Ryan (Direct Line: 763-331-8772) and asked if they had a visitor's supporting section. Ryan stated they typically designate section 1 for that. When you see it on the map, you'll find they are the worst seats. :) There hasn't been any demand for it yet, but if they receive calls they'll do it.

I booked a couple of tickets in section 26 behind the goal ($16 a ticket).
The home fans are known as the dark clouds ! Their singing/standing section is close by in the corner. They sound a fun bunch with tailgate parties, beer buses to the ground etc.
http://www.dark-clouds.com/

Esquared1 - 30/6/2016 16:09

For our trans-Atlantic word exchange, I'm committed to promoting "numpty".

Apart from being a Harry Potter -ism, I remember it from some Scottish cartoon books from the 60s or 70s, possibly The Broons Xmas Annual from around 1970.

Great for a non-stereotyping put-down.

I had a casual look at flight prices and nearly choked on my weetabix. Sadly - in Dragons Den parlance - 'I'm out'.

Trips to the States and especially in and around Chicago, are a given but boy do they pick some of the hardest places to reach for all of our 'abroad' matches. How about we play in Orlando, Miami or New York ? How about in Malaga, Alicante or similar in Europe, instead of back of beyond venues with loads of transfers, hassle and cost ? Bristol City are going to Granada for instance - that would do nicely.

Apart from maybe Pimpley away that will be it for me this year. At least I get to see my favouritist :) Spanish side at home though and I'm a happy bunny with that.

redharry - 1/7/2016 10:15

Esquared1 - 30/6/2016 15:30

I booked a couple of tickets in section 26 behind the goal ($16 a ticket).
The home fans are known as the dark clouds ! Their singing/standing section is close by in the corner. They sound a fun bunch with tailgate parties, beer buses to the ground etc.
http://www.dark-clouds.com/

I picked up a couple front row seats in 1. I'll get a ticket or 2 in 26. This is going to sell out, so I won't have trouble selling my extra tickets.

Is Section 25 their supporter section? Well, I'll check.

I checked out their Facebook page. Two regular fans looked forward to the match so they can hear some AFCB songs and hopefully adopt some of them. I think many fans here think you guys are pretty cool. :)

Esquared1 - 30/6/2016 16:09

For our trans-Atlantic word exchange, I'm committed to promoting "numpty".

Lee Johnson is also committed to promoting a "numpty"... Lee Tomlin.

Regarding the tailgating parties... I suspect with your AFCB gear and accent, you'll drink all the free beer you want before the game. I also suspect it will not be like a Chicago tailgate and they'll have some good craft beer and not Miller Lite. :)

Also, if you see a fan drinking Stella Artois, it's not a hooligan beer. It's marketed as a premium beer here and we fell for the marketing.

Esquared1 - 1/7/2016 14:35

Regarding the tailgating parties... I suspect with your AFCB gear and accent, you'll drink all the free beer you want before the game. I also suspect it will not be like a Chicago tailgate and they'll have some good craft beer and not Miller Lite. :)

Also, if you see a fan drinking Stella Artois, it's not a hooligan beer. It's marketed as a premium beer here and we fell for the marketing.

One of Minnesota main sponsors are Summit brewery and they brew some fine stuff, I see there is a beer tent behind the goal as well!
:beer2:

Yesterday I noticed that they post the beers they are going to sell at the match. They take it pretty seriously, which is good!

So it is being broadcast so I would guess there is a 100% chance of a dubious internet feed for those not attending.

The 'Philli' game was streamed live onto Cherryplayer - to be honest it was the reason I joined but then it also showed the Hoffenheim game too. Even with some prolonged buffering at times it was worth it and I've stuck with it ever since.

Re training etc - the team had a day in Philly that was entirely opened up to the locals to watch training, chat to and get some autographs from the players.As we are on project 'charm offensive' I'd be amazed if we don't at least mirror that this time. Perhaps, as we will be in two places this time, there may be two such sessions. I wonder if we will concentrate on this part of the States in the future to build a local following ?

;