Marginal gains

ChampagneCherry

First Team
Without changing manager, players, formation there are still small improvements which could add up to better results. What has everyone else seen that seems obvious to tweak, focusing on the positives.

Three to start things off.

1) Attacking corners - why don't we have a player lurking at the edge of the box on opposite side for one that goes over the top or flicked right through.
2) Begovic long goal kicks , aim slightly to the right to avoid giving away throw ins.
3) overlapping full backs, overlap on the touch line rather than too close to the winger/striker

8) players with tricky feet, Solanke, Danjuma, Billing etc. should look to drive INTO the penalty area with the ball more often, rather than faff around with it on the edge of the area.
It seems to me that these days defenders are very wary of giving away cheap penalties, so once you are in there I think you will have an easier time trying to create something. If not, maybe you will at least provoke a cheap foul and get the odd penalty. Be brave and drive into the box whenever you get the chance.

8) players with tricky feet, Solanke, Danjuma, Billing etc. should look to drive INTO the penalty area with the ball more often, rather than faff around with it on the edge of the area.

Solanke's feet aren't so much tricky as put on back to front.

He repeatedly charges into the box with the ball, but the ball never wants to stay with him, it goes off and finds a defender.

Solanke's feet aren't so much tricky as put on back to front.

He repeatedly charges into the box with the ball, but the ball never wants to stay with him, it goes off and finds a defender.
He might be going through a bit of a spell at the moment, but in the past he has been incredible at getting the ball to stick to his feet. Maybe more outside of the box in recent times but no reason why he can't do it in the box. It's really just a numbers game, the more times you try the more times it will come off for you. That's why I referred to it as being brave, taking responsibility to make something happen. I won't knock any player for doing that, it needs to be encouraged, so chin up Dom, get in there son ! :)

9) Don't give away useless free-kicks around the edge of our box when there's no need to make the challenge from behind.

9.5) Don't give away useless free-kicks in the opposition's corner when we have their defender pinned down by aimlessly pushing them in the back. Instead, don't foul them and let them kick it out for a throw-in to us.

9.75) Don't keep our tallest players like Kelly and Billing on the half-way line at corners when we could probably benefit from their height at the expense of a smaller player like Wilshere etc.

9) Don't give away useless free-kicks around the edge of our box when there's no need to make the challenge from behind.

9.5) Don't give away useless free-kicks in the opposition's corner when we have their defender pinned down by aimlessly pushing them in the back. Instead, don't foul them and let them kick it out for a throw-in to us.
Couldn't agree more, too many stupid, lazy free kicks given away

try and pick the pass rather than dribbling into defenders and invairably losing the ball!
Look to shoot quicker rather than stopping!

When playing out from the back do it much much quicker!

Ooooh oooh. I've got a good one !

Realise that if you manage to play just 11 consecutive games of football to the very best of your ability ( which actually we've been paying you to do for years by the way, in case you hadn't noticed ), you can all look forward to a massive pay rise and PL football again in the summer.

10. Try shooting when 20 yards from goal - replay goals from that opening game v Blackburn as a refresh

11. Our corners - we are not the tallest so a wafty delivery to the penalty spot is easy meat for big defenders : so go near post and flick on to pick up on resulting confusion.

12. Run about a bit more - it confuses the oppo!

12. Run about a bit more - it confuses the oppo!

I genuinely would like to know what the coaches are doing in training that makes this team seem so lethargic and lacking in energy compared to the opposition in most matches. I assume it's something they're being coached in as 3 managers have now made the excuse about how tired they are even after they've had a week or two's break.

Just pass quicker. There were moments on Saturday when we broke them down with a couple of quick passes. We don't have the patterns of play that were the hallmark of Eddie's team, but we show that when we pass quickly we can create good chances. Everything on the whole is just too slow.

Pity the club doesn't have a "Suggestion Box" where we can all post these great ideas, then JW gets to pick the best one each week to pass on to the players. I'm sure the coaching team would appreciate all this blue sky thinking!

we are fans and are entitled to our opinions and to be honest we are just answering the question not trying to tell the manager how to train the team or what tactics to employ...

but lets be clear football should be a reasonbly simple game and the blinding obvious way we concede or not produce enough is there for all to witness in games

;