Mark Travers

My irish name has become quite common in England over the last 10-15 years although you all spell it 27 different kinds of wrong. My wife's family were all given English/neutral names because when we were born and growing up there were loads of police and army checkpoints and having a name that didn't scream catholicism was handy if you wanted to avoid having your car torn apart! Now though all my wife's sisters have given their own children full on Irish names with fadas and everything.

That’s because it was the “same old WAZ crap that was ongoing during the season”. The thread was only bumped yesterday and the only mention of anything like you’re referring to was erm, your post.

apologies, that was my fault
It was a genuine question as to whether he was likely to get a game especially as the current no 1 has spent most of the season literally sat on his butt whilst our lad has been outstanding

I honestly do not understand how the Championships best keeper of last season doesn’t start in this Irish team ahead of Liverpool’s average backup and a keeper who finished mid table in league 1.

It is truly puzzling. The young Man City lad certainly had potential but is not close to Travers yet. The Liverpool lad is nothing special, I can only assume he gets picked due to the fact he plays for Liverpool.

that's the only logical conclusion

I think it is more down to what the keepers have done in an Irish shirt playing for the National Team. The last time Travers played was in March 21 against Serbia and he was chipped from 35 yards out by Mitrovic after he started to rush out from goal before frantically back-pedalling. I seem to remember reading that the Irish manager was not too impressed and Bazunu came in for the next game a few days later and then performed very well and kept his place for 10 games or so until illness kept him out this March.

At the same time, if you remember, Travers had already picked up a minor injury when with the Irish squad and so did not feature and Kelleher took over.

So quite simply Travers lost his place after a "mistake" and the manager has been loyal to those who have performed since. I understand it was a bit of a mistake by Kelleher for the Ukraine goal (not seen it - just read that somewhere) so maybe Travers will get a chance next match since he was on the bench and not Bazunu.

This is great news...for the time being at least. It just means that we'll get more when someone inevitably comes in for him as they doubtless will if he continues to improve the way he has done.

;