Match Report AFCB vs Brentford

Matt Stevenson

First Team
Welcome to a possible dress rehearsal for the play-off final. It’s between the two highest scorers in the Championship (with both teams averaging about 1.7 goals a game) although the form of the sides is noticeably different; over the last 7 games AFCB have picked up 21 points, scored 21 and let in 5, whereas the Bees have picked up only 9 points, scoring 10 and conceding 5. Momentum seems to be the buzz word and the momentum is truly with us. Woodgate has been keeping a reasonable settled side, but will be forced into one change with Kelly being ruled out with an ankle injury. The current prognosis is only two weeks out which will be a relief to Cherries fans as he had firmly established himself in the left back position. His replacement, Rico, is a different player, with less pace so unable to support Danjuma as much without leaving AFCB more vulnerable to the counter attack, and it will be interesting to see if Brentford target the Spaniard as other teams have done. Brentford also have their full-backs missing, so Bournemouth could also exploit the wings given the abundance of talent in these areas (Danjuma, Brooks and Stanislas) and also have Da Silva out. I’ll be keeping an interesting eye on the tackles within this game. Neither side would be too upset if an opposition player had ‘accidentally’ been caught late ruling them out for the play-offs. We made four changes, Smith for Stacey and Stanislas for Brooks were like for like, Rico for Kelly and Wilshere for Pearson. It’s not clear whether Pearson is carrying an injury, but this seemed an odd change. Brentford lined up as a 3-5-2, meaning that the game would likely be won or lost in whether Danjuma and Brooks could exploit the gaps in the flanks or are forced to backtrack and defend. From kick-off we were nearly in, with a heavy touch from Solanke meaning the chance disappeared. Cook thudded a clearance into Rico, but recovered to block Toney. It was a hectic opening, Pinnock was left unmarked at the back post from a free kick and headed wide. Brentford had most of the ball but we looked dangerous on the break. It feels as though The Bees would create multiple minor chances, but we’d create a good one. That duly happened, Wilshere passing to Solanke who put Stanislas through on goal. When shooting he slipped though and struck the ball against his other foot. Given the hectic nature of the game it wasn’t anticipated that this would be our only clear-cut opportunity. Five minutes later Rico was overloaded on the right and the cross was headed back for Canos to shoot, both Cook and Carter-Vickers had dropped back onto the line and the captain cleared the ball. The first lull in proceedings was at 15 minutes, and it was an enjoyable game with two teams wanting to attack. AFCB gained the ascendancy for a short period and after a good move between Billing and Stanislas, Junior decided not to shoot but pull it back to Danjuma. However, good defence from Brentford intercepted and cleared the ball. Jensen shot from 25 yards and produced a good save from Begovic as it looked like it was creeping into the bottom left corner. From the resulting corner Brentford blocked Carter-Vickers well allowing Toney to be free, but the ball didn’t reach him. Jansson clatters both Solanke and Billing within two minutes and picked up a yellow card. At the half-hour mark the shot count was AFCB 1 Brentford 8, despite this being an even game and not reflective of the dangerous positions we had manufactured but failed to get a shot away. Just after, a long through ball was misjudged by Cook, who probably expected a Brentford player to get a flick on it, and Toney was through one-on-one. Begovic stood tall, challenging the forward to beat him, and won the battle of nerves managing to sit on the shoot. Brentford racked up the shots whereas it just wasn’t clicking with Canos managing to nip in and take the ball before Solanke could shoot from near the penalty spot. Brentford were still on top, however, and Toney flashed one past the far post. Half-time came, with the Cherries pleased to be level, although I’ve never seen a shot count be so unreflective of the actual game, as we were playing ok apart from the last ball.

The second half began with a strange rugby-style up and under from Brentford. We crafted a corner early on before performing our trademarked policy of playing it short and badly allowing a dangerous counter attack. In the 50th minute there appeared to be a turning point. A long upfield ball by Cook saw Jansson on the wrong side of Danjuma, and resulted in him hampering his progress, probably helped by Arnie slowing down a little, leaving the ref with no option but to show the Brentford defender the red card. The Brentford substation saw the formation change to 4 at the back, but with 2 men left upfront, meaning we should have control of the midfield, although things were still not clicking in the final third. We made two substitutions on the hour mark with Stacey replacing Smith and Brooks coming on for Billing. The Welsh international went across to the right wing with Stanislas playing in the No 10 role. I’d have wanted Pearson on for Wilshere, who hadn’t been able to influence the game much. Fortunately, the referee was alert to Toney trying to win a penalty by hooking his legs between Wilshere’s after the former England man had last possession. Brentford were having to sit back and defended well, with few chances for a 10-minute period, with the only incident being a bad foul by Forss on Rico, for which he was booked, and there was also a yellow card for Lerma who threw the ball at the back of Forss, presumably assuming the referee was looking elsewhere. Brentford were still getting forward though, a weak header from Cook back to Begovic gave Forss a half chance but he blazed over. Then following a Carter-Vickers headed clearance Wilshere pulled out of a tackle with Marcondes, to avoid giving away a dangerous free-kick, and the Brentford man who had only come onto the pitch a minute early (with Mbeumo) shot wide. Woodgate tried to force things by taking off Wilshere for Surridge, but we went immediately behind when Toney had a shot blocked, but was played through again with Stanislas ball-watching his shot was parried out by Begovic, but from the Cherries perspective agonisingly fell to Mbeumo instead of Carter-Vickers or Stacey and the ball was bumped in. Tempers were rising and there was a flash point between Toney and Rico, which precipitated Lerma being replaced by Pearson. We needed to increase the tempo but Brentford were defending well to repel the attacks. After the goal there were few chances for either side and despite our numerical advantage the game was fairly even. In summary Brentford defended well and warrant credit for a deserved victory. It just didn’t come off for us when we were attacking. We need to hope that it was just a bad day in the office, and that should we meet Brentford in the play-offs there is a burning desire for revenge.

Player Marks

Begovic: 7. (MOTM). Did well throughout the game, particularly with the one-on-one with Toney

Rico: 6. Didn’t make may forward runs and was fairly quiet

Cook: 6. A goal-line clearance but two errors in allowing Toney in and also weak the weak back-pass

Carter-Vickers: 7. Didn’t do much wrong throughout the game

Smith: 6. See Rico

Lerma: 6. More subdued than normal, but didn’t have Pearson to help with the defensive duties. Received a needless yellow card

Wilshere: 6. I’m not sure he has the pace or legs to influence games as in the past, although not helped by the fact we were outnumbered in midfield for the first half. I suspect he may be limited to an impact sub after this game

Billing: 6. Unable to be as involved as in recent weeks. Hopefully the early substitution and week’s rest will fix this.

Danjuma: 6. A very quiet game with Brentford often managing to double up against him although played a part in the Jansson send-off

Stanislas: 6. Unfortunate with the early chance, and was in space often in the first half. Went to sleep for the goal, although maybe expected that Cook would have picked up Toney’s run

Solanke: 6. It’s a tough job playing as a sole forward against three centre-halves. It became easier following the send-off, but he still didn’t pose much of a threat

Substitutes

Stacey: 6. See Smith and Rico

Brooks: 6. Tried to assert himself on the game but the little tricks didn’t come off.

Surridge: 6. Didn’t have much of the ball at all

Pearson: 6. Only came on for the last 10 minutes, and was faced with a banked defence. Ticked things over well, but would have been more useful earlier in the game

Brentford.JPG

Big difference today was the lack of Pearson. Genuinely believe he is the best CM at this level. He makes us a much better side. So much so I’d rest him until the play offs, he’s that pivotal to us that an injury to him would completely scupper us.

Reactions: drd
My thoughts.

1. Team selection was wrong in my opinion. Why change a winning side, apart from Kelly obviously
2. Why leave Danjuma AND Stanislas on the pitch for 90 minutes? They were both ineffectual for the whole game.
3. Why take Billing off when chasing the game?
4. We were lucky only to lose 1-0
5. Lincoln beat us before the play off, a few years back
6. Why play the stupid, passing around the back, in the last few minutes and not get the ball into the danger area?
7. Bego the only player who played well, therefore MOTM (although I would have given him 8)
8. I wish Solanke had better ball control skills
9. I wish we could take set pieces, especially corners
10. Brentford fully deserved the 3 points

:utc:

From seeing one angle of the goal from the east stand, personally I’d be blaming Rico for the pass through to Toney, his positioning for me is doing nothing. He’s not close enough to either the winger, which admittedly would be in his thoughts but equally the winger is still not the obvious threat, he’s also not following the run or the most obvious threat who he has let run through goal side of him. He’s totally oblivious to it.

My thoughts.

1. Team selection was wrong in my opinion. Why change a winning side, apart from Kelly obviously
2. Why leave Danjuma AND Stanislas on the pitch for 90 minutes? They were both ineffectual for the whole game.
3. Why take Billing off when chasing the game?
4. We were lucky only to lose 1-0
5. Lincoln beat us before the play off, a few years back
6. Why play the stupid, passing around the back, in the last few minutes and not get the ball into the danger area?
7. Bego the only player who played well, therefore MOTM (although I would have given him 8)
8. I wish Solanke had better ball control skills
9. I wish we could take set pieces, especially corners
10. Brentford fully deserved the 3 points

:utc:

In a performance lacking in most areas, why pick out Dom? I’m assuming you are referring to the touch in the first minute or so? The lad set up Stan with a perfectly weighted pass only for Stan to slip. Lord knows what would have been written on here if that had been him missing it. As always, he worked harder than most whilst getting zero supply. Let’s also ignore the two perfectly weighted assists v Milwall and despite the miss later in that game, his goal and interplay with Billing was a joy.

Last edited:
Big difference today was the lack of Pearson. Genuinely believe he is the best CM at this level. He makes us a much better side. So much so I’d rest him until the play offs, he’s that pivotal to us that an injury to him would completely scupper us.
Totally agree regarding Pearson . When he came on we were better . He keeps the ball so well, never forces the pass, and makes lerma look better also

Totally agree regarding Pearson . When he came on we were better . He keeps the ball so well, never forces the pass, and makes lerma look better also
Makes everybody look better. Have no idea how we managed to get him tbh. Good sign that we can still attract very good players for this level though!

We definitely missed Pearson.
I also sense Mr Woodgate has told the players to be a little more cautious as he doesn’t want any injuries before the play offs.
Begovic was superb.
Our corners are still appalling.
Brentford wanted it more than us.
If we meet them in the play offs it will be a totally different matter.

I think Billing looked as though he is starting to tire a bit so think he should get a rest for the next game. Danjuma worked hard but had no joy, would like to see him get a 45 of rest in one of the next two games.

Brooks annoyed me by slowing down play when we needed to move the ball quicker to make our one man advantage pay against a Brentford defence happy to sit on their one goal lead. Even when Brentford had ten men behind the ball, instead of running at them, trying to make something happen, he mostly preferred to play the ball backwards or sideways. It was another one of his “low confidence” displays again today IMO.

It is probably to our advantage that we didn’t play our best team and give it full beans today. We still have a few tricks up our sleeve and hopefully a better level of performance in our locker should we meet them again in the playoffs.

Slightly disappointed to end the winning run but we knew that JW had to make a choice between saving some energy for the playoffs or going all out to extend the unbeaten run into the playoffs. For me it is pretty clear after today which option he took. I would expect other players to be rested at times during the next two games. Probably understandable in the grand scheme of things. Our season will now be defined by what happens in the playoffs and not by our results in these final three games of the regular season. Over to you JW, just make it work !

Too many changes cost us... The only thing today has proven is our starting XI from past weeks, is the starting XI... (bar Kelly)...

At the end of the day, with Watford winning and securing 2nd spot finally, results in the next 2 games don't really matter too much... It's all about confidence and going into the play offs with form... 2 more wins and we'll forget about today...

For anyone that thought we would be favourites to get out the play offs, hopefully today though we make us realise that there will be 3 other very good sides all thinking the same and battling very hard to get through...

We definitely missed Pearson.
I also sense Mr Woodgate has told the players to be a little more cautious as he doesn’t want any injuries before the play offs.
Begovic was superb.
Our corners are still appalling.
Brentford wanted it more than us.
If we meet them in the play offs it will be a totally different matter.
I think we started the game very well and had 2 or3 attacks. Knowing we are in the play offs we could afford to change the team a bit .
It’s a tough call play your strongest team or rest players to help avoid injuries and fatigue .

with no more midweek I think we will play close to our strongest team going forward

So poor all round today,baffling as we had been going so well.felt Brentford were very physical and were trying to lay down a marker and we never picked it up.interesting to see the team selection for the remaining 2 games.

I don't get the idea of resting players at this vital stage of the season. We have a week between games and if a professional athlete, without injury, can't recover in seven days then his fitness must be questioned. Where we finish from 3rd to 6th could make a big difference to our play off chances. Third would seem to give us the best chance IMO.

The idea of rotating players isn’t solely down to protecting those players who are rested, it’s about getting other players match sharp, match fit, whilst still waiting in the wings.

Junior Stanislas on a run of consecutive games is a different animal to Junior Stanislas off the bench for 20 minutes here and there.

Get him firing on all cylinders then, if Danjuma gets injured, you’ve got Stanislas ready and waiting to slot into the left side role where he found most of his joy this season.

There was a sense of ‘well we are in the play offs now’ about the place JW rested a few and the players never really shifted up the gears. I hope that it was just a blip and we will play out the last two matches better but psychologically the preparation comes after these games in readiness for the little knockout tournament for The PL...
We do need to protect players from injury having already picked up one in Kelly....

The play offs rarely reflect what's gone before and often propel the lowest finishing Club into the higher Division.
The games are a nervy lottery generally with dramatic highpoints and turning moments like the end of a thrilling novel.
They can be entertaining in the 90 minutes and extra time as was ours v Huddersfield...and the final v Lincoln a few years before was a classic.
I'd rate our chances now at about 55 to 60%.

The problem for any team is when they start all tangled up by nerves..and the other team just basically takes charge of the day !

I don't get the idea of resting players at this vital stage of the season. We have a week between games and if a professional athlete, without injury, can't recover in seven days then his fitness must be questioned. Where we finish from 3rd to 6th could make a big difference to our play off chances. Third would seem to give us the best chance IMO.
I agree but the manager did make a couple of changes to protect those that had recently come back to help prevent further injury . Going forward no midweek games so should be the strongest team we have got

The play offs rarely reflect what's gone before and often propel the lowest finishing Club into the higher Division.
The games are a nervy lottery generally with dramatic highpoints and turning moments like the end of a thrilling novel.
They can be entertaining in the 90 minutes and extra time as was ours v Huddersfield...and the final v Lincoln a few years before was a classic.
I'd rate our chances now at about 55 to 60%.

The problem for any team is when they start all tangled up by nerves..and the other team just basically takes charge of the day !
55-60% of going up?!

I would say about 30%, especially after yesterday. If we played Brentford their favourites so that’s us less than 50% already

;