Match Report: AFCB vs Brentford

Good showing last night - and our lot shattered at the end, with Danjuma and Smith flat-out at the whistle. Brentford were sub-par: given Toney's goalscoring record you'd expect them to serve up chances for him but he got almost none. Some of this was due to good performances out wide by Kelly (especially) and Smith - and Pearson and Lerma crowded their midfield.

Brentford never solved the problem. They'll be thinking how to deal with this on Saturday. Key issue for us - midfield needs to stay tight and stop the Toney supply-line. Lerma needs to step up - he was OK last night but we need more mobility and early interventions when they have the ball. Feel more optimistic than I did at 6pm last night!
Agree with that assessment. I feel sure that we will get chances on the break at Brentford, just need to get the final ball right and stick them away. Brentford are a bit like us, they like teams to attack them as it gives them more space to counter.

hit the post with a decent header in the first half too. he was more effective than Toney last night - if his touch was better he would have had a clear chance near the beginning.
That last sentence just about sums Solanke up tbf....

I'm afraid if Arnold is closed down up there on Saturday then I wonder where is any goal going to come from? The rest of our forward players seem more enablers than finishers in recent weeks.

I'm afraid if Arnold is closed down up there on Saturday then I wonder where is any goal going to come from? The rest of our forward players seem more enablers than finishers in recent weeks.
True. It would be lovely if Dom and Brooksie could find their scoring boots for the games ahead ! Hopefully lots of finishing training this week. We are creating the chances but our conversion rate has become pretty poor lately !

People say Solanke has a bad first touch but the way he spins his marker with the ball at his feet is very good technique.I agree sometimes he looks like he has two left feet,but sometimes he looks very skillful
He did that late on in the second half , left edge of the area ...

Indeed , need to work on being able to play through the middle more...

What was Stacey doing for their "should of scored chance" ?
Smithy was left with two players to mark at the far post.

I think it might even have been CCV's man that got free... He moved forward to attack the ball and left his man... Hence the reason Smithy seemed to be holding his arms out and shouting at CCV...

Watching the footage, CCV had to leave Mbeumo to pick up Toney, as Mepham had moved off him to confront Norgaard. CCV would have blocked Toney's attempt if it had reached him. Brooks was wrong side of Norgaard which caused the problem. Stacey more or less stayed in the DGrab 1.JPG

Grab 2.JPG

I've just watched the Bench Cam: what was interesting was after Mbeumo's miss, that Woodgate immediately called for Wilshere to come on. At least he reacted to this problem, although it was clear for a little while before the miss, so we got away with one.

PS - No lack of celebrations with our goal. :)

;