Match Report and MOM v Blackburn Rovers

Neil Dawson

UTC Legend
Danjuma Boomer Dampens Rovers Return

Jason Tindall's first game of a new era for Bournemouth saw them nervily dispatch a Blackburn Rovers side full of endeavour but lacking in the quality the home team showed. The ability to score with flair and also concede with ease shows that it might not be that different from standard fare!

Jason's eagerly anticipated first line up held a couple of surprises - no Rico (knock apparently) and no Brooks (working his way back to fitness). The side stuck with the 3-4-3 that had looked good in pre-season. Travers got the nod between the sticks.

The first half started cautiously, Bournemouth wanting to pass out from the back in PL style, Blackburn just pushed up and harried in Championship style and often we didn't have the quality to make it work. This led to a nervy period and we were all glad to remember what it is like to be back in a league where when you give teams opportunities they don't take every single one of them. Unfortunately we also had to remember how clunky the transitional play can be at this level with both sides giving the ball away at will. Chuck in as well how many fouls get waved on and their was a pleasant feeling of familiarity about it.

What there wasn't was chances - it was all a little camped in the non-action areas of the pitch despite bright bursts by Danjuma. Lerma and Cook in midfield were being a little over-run and there was little evidence of cohesion with Solanke acting more like a wall than a sponge. Stan wasted a number of free-kicks as is his way. It was no surprise with the lack of quality from both sides that the goals scored were long distance pops. Bournemouth scored the first when from a broken down set piece Stanislas fed STACEY who thumped a humdinger with swazz (I have a 13 year old to thank for that technical analogy) which bent it away and in off the post.

The goal gave confidence and there were some great periods of play particularly with Danjuma and Lewis Cook. It was a surprise therefore when Blackburn equalised with their first real shot in anger and it was a goal that Mark Travers won't be looking back on tonight. JOHNSONS drive from 30yards was routine for a keeper (no swazz) but it spun in off the stricken youngster's arms. A poor first half but that's not uncommon in the opening weeks.

HT Bournemouth 1 Blackburn 1

The second half started with much more energy and as a result was far more eventful. Particularly looking like he had had a designer trainer up his **************** was Solanke who showed much more endeavour and movement. The main difference was the full backs were pushed much higher up the pitch and the wingers playing inside and behind them - the way this system should be played if it is going to work. There was a lot of early possession in Rover's half but it was Johnson again who had the best chance against the run of play but he blazed wide.

Bournemouth re-took the lead with a great team goal, Stacey released to pull back for Solanke who turned and found LERMA to cooly despatch a low drive into the bottom corner. The team had confidence coursing through its veins now and enjoyed a great spell where they looked to put the game to bed - Solanke was denied spectacularly by Kaminski's finger tips. With us camped in Rovers' half it was great to watch but the final quality was elusive. This allowed Rovers to creep back into it particularly after Lerma was removed for protection and Gosling came on to leave a few holes at the back.

The inevitable happened when after a couple of close scares, notably when Armstrong fired over from twelve yards Blackburn equalised. Nyambe got past Kelly too easily on the right and Cook fatally stood off ARMSTRONG allowing last seasons top scorer to turn and find the bottom corner with ease. Blackburn then had their post goal purple patch but Dolan missed arguably the games best chance to give them the lead.

Bournemouth were a team that broke to effect in the last few seasons and used that to great effect to grab the games pivotal goal. Smith broke and played the ball to DANJUMA who then scored a goal worthy of a full house. The Dutchman has a penchance for cutting in and shooting as he has demonstrated even at Champions League level. He teased at pace before checking right and bending a beauty into the top corner beyond Kaminskis outstretched hands. It would have brought the roof off but instead some guys in hasmats clapped as a crisp bag blew along the touchline - such is the weird world we live in.....

There was one more pivotal moment to come. This see saw match looked destined for an equaliser when the ball reached sub Evans six yards out and free at the back post. Kelly arrived from nowhere with an heroic block and the points and his manager's gratitude were in the bag.

FT Bournemouth 3 Blackburn 2

Travers 5 - Not a lot to do but really bad error when called on.

Mepham 6 - Steady enough without breaking much sweat
Cook 6 - Marshalled the centre well but a little slack on second goal
Kelly 7 - Caught in possession a bit but great block to save points

Stacey 7- Buzzed about, superb goal and defended well.
Cook 7 - Good use of the ball and defended better.
Lerma 7 - Excellent goal, battled hard, passing a little off.
Smith 6 - Useful display never as attacking on his wrong foot

Stanislas 5 - Largely anonymous
Solanke 6 - Terrible first half but made up for it in 2nd
Danjuma 8 - Sparkling foot skills and a goal to remember (MOM)

Verdict
It wasn't perfect but all that matters on this day of the season is a win. You will never play a team short of confidence or a tired team on the first game of the season and so starting with three points is always a tricky ask. It wasn’t perfect but the team kept at it and ultimately it boiled down to the talent of our squad allowing us to finish difficult chances while their poorer opponents missed easier ones. We looked like we could score, we looked like we could concede - apart from last season that was reassuringly familiar. Blackburn weren’t the strongest opponents and aren’t expected to trouble the scorers this season but we needed to see them off and we found a way.

Most fans would have been looking to see what was different under new management The first thing was the formation, although we started last season with the same formation to be fair so it arguably wasn’t too different. I will hold my hand up, I’m not a fan. I get it when it’s played with wingers at full back and I get it when you hold one of your wing backs and your centre back joins in the attack like Sheffield Utd but played with full-backs and flat lines it’s not as effective and it’s a)difficult to get out without pulling your full backs too deep and b) it leaves gaps at the far post if the centre back reverts to type. Both happened to us today and a better team than Blackburn would have taken the points. I guess it is here to stay for awhile so let’s hope we get to grips with those two things. To be fair to JT the wing-backs really have to be on their strong foot and losing Rico would have damaged the balance as Smith kept cutting in and crowding out Danjuma. It also means two in the central midfield and I don’t think we have the right two players for that as discussed often last year.

Another interesting factor will be Brooks – he will start but not ahead of Stan and Danjuma so JT will need to wrestle in his head how that looks. Danjuma looked a bit weak to start in the middle with his back to goal so I wonder if we will move to a five man midfield and lose a centre back – let’s hope so.

From a positive point of view Danjuma looks a handful and the team didn’t seem to have a relegation hang-over in terms of attitude. There might have been gaps in quality but the effort and attitude looked good. I would imagine we are looking at a keeper, a centre forward and a wide player – or possibly a cover left back. If we add quality in those positions to what is a very strong starting line up for this level of football it could be a very good season indeed. Good to be back – loving the absence of VAR but boy do we need to get back in the ground….

Last edited:
A fit Brooks would start ahead of Stan, better going forward and tracking back.

A CB would be high on the loan list, is Daniels as possible LB cover ?

There will still be a couple of sales and purchases before mid October. For the best? We will see.

Danjuma Boomer Dampens Rovers Return

Jason Tindall's first game of a new era for Bournemouth saw them nervily dispatch a Blackburn Rovers side full of endeavour but lacking in the quality the home team showed. The ability to score with flair and also concede with ease shows that it might not be that different from standard fare!

Jason's eagerly anticipated first line up held a couple of surprises - no Rico (knock apparently) and no Brooks (working his way back to fitness). The side stuck with the 3-4-3 that had looked good in pre-season. Travers got the nod between the sticks.

The first half started cautiously, Bournemouth wanting to pass out from the back in PL style, Blackburn just pushed up and harried in Championship style and often we didn't have the quality to make it work. This led to a nervy period and we were all glad to remember what it is like to be back in a league where when you give teams opportunities they don't take every single one of them. Unfortunately we also had to remember how clunky the transitional play can be at this level with both sides giving the ball away at will. Chuck in as well how many fouls get waved on and their was a pleasant feeling of familiarity about it.

What there wasn't was chances - it was all a little camped in the non-action areas of the pitch despite bright bursts by Danjuma. Lerma and Cook in midfield were being a little over-run and there was little evidence of cohesion with Solanke acting more like a wall than a sponge. Stan wasted a number of free-kicks as is his way. It was no surprise with the lack of quality from both sides that the goals scored were long distance pops. Bournemouth scored the first when from a broken down set piece Stanislas fed STACEY who thumped a humdinger with swazz (I have a 13 year old to thank for that technical analogy) which bent it away and in off the post.

The goal gave confidence and there were some great periods of play particularly with Danjuma and Lewis Cook. It was a surprise therefore when Blackburn equalised with their first real shot in anger and it was a goal that Mark Travers won't be looking back on tonight. JOHNSONS drive from 30yards was routine for a keeper (no swazz) but it spun in off the stricken youngster's arms. A poor first half but that's not uncommon in the opening weeks.

HT Bournemouth 1 Blackburn 1

The second half started with much more energy and as a result was far more eventful. Particularly looking like he had had a designer trainer up his **************** was Solanke who showed much more endeavour and movement. The main difference was the full backs were pushed much higher up the pitch and the wingers playing inside and behind them - the way this system should be played if it is going to work. There was a lot of early possession in Rover's half but it was Johnson again who had the best chance against the run of play but he blazed wide.

Bournemouth re-took the lead with a great team goal, Stacey released to pull back for Solanke who turned and found LERMA to cooly despatch a low drive into the bottom corner. The team had confidence coursing through its veins now and enjoyed a great spell where they looked to put the game to bed - Solanke was denied spectacularly by Kaminski's finger tips. With us camped in Rovers' half it was great to watch but the final quality was elusive. This allowed Rovers to creep back into it particularly after Lerma was removed for protection and Gosling came on to leave a few holes at the back.

The inevitable happened when after a couple of close scares, notably when Armstrong fired over from twelve yards Blackburn equalised. Nyambe got past Kelly too easily on the right and Cook fatally stood off ARMSTRONG allowing last seasons top scorer to turn and find the bottom corner with ease. Blackburn then had their post goal purple patch but Dolan missed arguably the games best chance to give them the lead.

Bournemouth were a team that broke to effect in the last few seasons and used that to great effect to grab the games pivotal goal. Smith broke and played the ball to DANJUMA who then scored a goal worthy of a full house. The Dutchman has a penchance for cutting in and shooting as he has demonstrated even at Champions League level. He teased at pace before checking right and bending a beauty into the top corner beyond Kaminskis outstretched hands. It would have brought the roof off but instead some guys in hasmats clapped as a crisp bag blew along the touchline - such is the weird world we live in.....

There was one more pivotal moment to come. This see saw match looked destined for an equaliser when the ball reached sub Evans six yards out and free at the back post. Kelly arrived from nowhere with an heroic block and the points and his manager's gratitude were in the bag.

FT Bournemouth 3 Blackburn 2

Travers 5 - Not a lot to do but really bad error when called on.

Mepham 6 - Steady enough without breaking much sweat
Cook 6 - Marshalled the centre well but a little slack on second goal
Kelly 7 - Caught in possession a bit but great block to save points

Stacey 7- Buzzed about, superb goal and defended well.
Cook 7 - Good use of the ball and defended better.
Lerma 7 - Excellent goal, battled hard, passing a little off.
Smith 6 - Useful display never as attacking on his wrong foot

Stanislas 5 - Largely anonymous
Solanke 6 - Terrible first half but made up for it in 2nd
Danjuma 8 - Sparkling foot skills and a goal to remember (MOM)

Verdict
It wasn't perfect but all that matters on this day of the season is a win. You will never play a team short of confidence or a tired team on the first game of the season and so starting with three points is always a tricky ask. It wasn’t perfect but the team kept at it and ultimately it boiled down to the talent of our squad allowing us to finish difficult chances while their poorer opponents missed easier ones. We looked like we could score, we looked like we could concede - apart from last season that was reassuringly familiar. Blackburn weren’t the strongest opponents and aren’t expected to trouble the scorers this season but we needed to see them off and we found a way.

Most fans would have been looking to see what was different under new management The first thing was the formation, although we started last season with the same formation to be fair so it arguably wasn’t too different. I will hold my hand up, I’m not a fan. I get it when it’s played with wingers at full back and I get it when you hold one of your wing backs and your centre back joins in the attack like Sheffield Utd but played with full-backs and flat lines it’s not as effective and it’s a)difficult to get out without pulling your full backs too deep and b) it leaves gaps at the far post if the centre back reverts to type. Both happened to us today and a better team than Blackburn would have taken the points. I guess it is here to stay for awhile so let’s hope we get to grips with those two things. To be fair to JT the wing-backs really have to be on their strong foot and losing Rico would have damaged the balance as Smith kept cutting in and crowding out Danjuma. It also means two in the central midfield and I don’t think we have the right two players for that as discussed often last year.

Another interesting factor will be Brooks – he will start but not ahead of Stan and Danjuma so JT will need to wrestle in his head how that looks. Danjuma looked a bit weak to start in the middle with his back to goal so I wonder if we will move to a five man midfield and lose a centre back – let’s hope so.

From a positive point of view Danjuma looks a handful and the team didn’t seem to have a relegation hang-over in terms of attitude. There might have been gaps in quality but the effort and attitude looked good. I would imagine we are looking at a keeper, a centre forward and a wide player – or possibly a cover left back. If we add quality in those positions to what is a very strong starting line up for this level of football it could be a very good season indeed. Good to be back – loving the absence of VAR but boy do we need to get back in the ground….
Not only is it good to have football back and especially to see our lads playing once again, it’s also good to see your reports back Neil. Many thanks!

Travers will be OK.....he conceded less than the Rovers keeper....
...he stayed with us.. fans on here salivated and creamed their jeans as we took a sum of money from Sheffield for Ramsdale so you can't complain...just get behind the boy.

Same with Surridge and Solanke..they is Boscombe....Wilson f√cked himself off to Real Tyneside...f√ck him!
We are Boscombe...Boscombe!

Good read Neil. Agree about VAR, wow it's like being reborn, a ref acting like a ref and lino's doing their job rather than relying on a studio in la la land.

The absolute priority is to build confidence and momentum, even if we have to do it ugly at times. The difference as you said was Individual quality.

Random CAPITALISATION aside, a very good report thanks Neil.
Should just be the goalscorers in capitals? As per normal. Apostrophes I admit if I have time to read them back before posting I catch them if not they will be badly missing or all over the shop!

Good report. Think your comments were right on Steve Cook but marks generous as dropping off weakens us on every opposition attack. Despite being most at fault for their second, way too much pointing at others.

I am going to say that for as long as we play FBs it's a 5-2-3. If we want a genuine attacking 3-4-3, then the 4 needs to be a diamond of 4 midfielders. I too though would go 4-4-2 or 4-3-3, dropping Cook when Mep's is fit and Rico is back. Stacey over Smith.

Need to give Simpson, Oforborh, K Taylor, Anthony, Surridge 90 mins in mid-week. Worth risking the U21's left back depending on who's not out on loan yet.

Final point. Travers made an error but he probably got down too early. Nice problem to fix rather than the keeper that gets down late or not at all. We need to keep faith.

I think if he wants to play Brooks, Stan and Danjuma,which he should, then he can’t play 3-4-3 so that gives me hope although it’s also not usual for coaches to change from a system that they worked on all summer this early.

Agree re Steve Cook, I’m sorry to say but I really feel that the guy is a liability. Whatever level we play at he is going to cost us goals with his lapses in concentration, he doesn’t inspire any confidence.

Agree re Steve Cook, I’m sorry to say but I really feel that the guy is a liability. Whatever level we play at he is going to cost us goals with his lapses in concentration, he doesn’t inspire any confidence.
That’s not my view you are agreeing with. I think there is a section of our fan base that writes players off too quickly . He made less errors than Mepham yesterday and they are getting used to what is a very strange system for orthodox centre backs

We did the same with Franno and Daniels. Even Pugh who we now want back. Seems there is a pattern for a player over 30 at this club. Love them. Worry about them. Point out errors. Blame them for everything. Be glad they’ve left. Miss them. Point out how the new players aren’t as good. Get nostalgia wave. Campaign for their return. Then loop to love them and start the journey again :grinning:

;