match report and MOM v Chelsea

I was saying the same at half time.

Chelsea without the ball first half were the best side to come to Dean Court this season. Their pressing, their movement everything was impressive. I enjoyed tactically watching them rather than ball watching.

We might have given the ball away a lot (turnovers as our North American friends would say), but you have to give Chelsea the acknowledgment that they pressed quick and forced us to play it quicker than we would like and that forced the errors.

With the ball in the final third they struggled. But for that you then have to give Howe and the team the nod for performing the game plan perfectly.

Agree, but they didn't have the energy and fitness to keep it up.

One thing that struck me was regards Surman and Gosling. In basically admitting that they can't play as normal midfielders up against that calibre of opposition, they suddenly became very effective shields when they focused purely on that task. Eddie's plan up until this season has been to play toe-to-toe with anyone and everyone, which exposes these two badly as somewhat limited against the top 6, perhaps more than anyone else in the squad. However last night they absolutely nailed the routine of surrendering the usual midfield area, crowing out the final third, sucking Chelsea in.

For all that first half Chelsea dominance, they created only one genuine chance (Boruc tip onto the crossbar). Everything else was pretty meat and drink. Now Chelsea fans will blame their own creative players and their manager's style for that, and no doubt they have a point. But it should be noted that we executed a plan perfectly.

It's what Wolves did to us... and probably to Chelsea too by the look of their result against them.

Chelsea without the ball first half were the best side to come to Dean Court this season. Their pressing, their movement everything was impressive. I enjoyed tactically watching them rather than ball watching.

It was spellbinding at times watching them in the first half. It was almost as if they have half a plan yet something's got lost in translation. They way they folded after the break was spectacular. As expected all the talk on the way home ( on the radio) was about them, Sarri and his future, not the absolute brilliance of a team with Surman and Gosling down the spine of it. Fair play to those two, I really thought we were on a hiding to nothing looking at the team sheet but they epitomise the spirit that must exist in the squad.

A few thoughts on last night:-

1. King is better as a lone striker. He makes similar runs to Wilson, so when he doesn’t have a strike partner he gets all the attacking space to himself and more effective as a result.

2. Just how good was Aké last night? Positionally superb and in the way of everything. I’ve been a little critical of his form recently. Well and truly back to his best last night.

3. We didn’t miss Lerma’s tackling last night but there were times I felt we missed his ability to hold onto the ball. With the way the game developed that may well have been to our advantage in the end.

4. We know Surman and Gosling don’t have the ball skills to run a midfield but their work rate is exceptional. Constantly shifting from side to side to plug any gaps in our defensive structure.

5. Credit to Eddie for the way we set up. Not always got our shape right in big matches but spot on this time

6. Clyne is a fantastic full back defensively. In attack he’s more efficient than dynamic but what a ball for the third goal

7. Boruc seems leaner than before. Fitness isn’t such a big deal for GK than outfield player, but it shows his level of application and that reflected in his performance.

8. David Brooks. Don’t need to add anything else!

A fabulous night. First half they were superb. Beguiling. We didn't get near them because we didn't want to. Gosling gave the ball away maybe 5 times in the first half, but he always gives much more in return. Easy to focus on errors. Harder to appreciate the good bits. Gosling has terrific energy, always has. Surman is a very competent player, always has been.

So much changes on a bit of fortune. If they'd scored within the first half hour, which everyone expected, they would have got 2 or 3 more. Like Liverpool. But they didn't.

What surprised me is how their body language changed even after the first goal. They weren't up for it.

Overall a ten out of ten team performance for me.

Couldn't be a 10/10 team performance for me because to a man we gave away the ball too cheaply in the first half and should have been punished if not for some fantastic last ditch blocks and saves. I'd give the first half 7/10 and second half 10/10. Overall it was about an 8.5 for me.

However I would have said Clyne, Brooks and Boruc should have been 9s because they performed consistently over the 90 mins at either end.

I know, none of that matters. I am on cloud 9 this morning, just offering my genuine thoughts.

Like many, I feared the worst when I saw our central midfield pairing...

First half was frustrating at the time as I felt we were sitting back too much, but it's clear what the plan was now and it worked beautifully. Relied on the defence keeping shape and solidity. Getting Smudge back in the side and Clyne on loan has (obviousy) made a massive difference.

Very amused at Jonathan Pearce's quote on MOTD when Charlie scored... probably had that primed and ready to go for years!

...King is better as a lone striker. He makes similar runs to Wilson, so when he doesn’t have a strike partner he gets all the attacking space to himself and more effective as a result...

But we get much more from Wilson.

Callum is constantly closing down defenders. He makes them nervous that he'll get a tackle in if they hold the ball too long. And that means they make mistakes.

Josh ran around a lot first half but the Chelsea defenders were not under any significant pressure. And Luis is someone who'll screw up when pressured.

King is capable of applying meaningful pressure and harrying more but doesn't do it willingly and/or instinctively. Until he does he'll always be second to Callum.

i'd forgotten about that! comedy gold and, although we didn't know it at the time, a sign of what was to come. :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 1503

So glad someone got a photo of this - It probably wasn't as funny as I found it, but our chants and the way they quickly rolled it back up in embarrassment and just got rid of it made me laugh a lot!

Put me in a very good mood to start what was to become another unforgettable night.

You are 100% right but I had no idea he touched it! Seeing it back on MOTD it was an amazing save. When a few of us were being derided for preferring Boruc to Begovic it was these wonder saves we were talking about. He will make more mistakes over the course of a season but he will also pull off more near impossible saves... you have to net one off against the other. I know which I prefer.
Well, we've got 2 brilliant keepers. Boruc has shown his abilities again recently. Awesome. With a strong defence in front, just as there was last night, there's nobody getting through. Almost needed that game to re-learn the art of defending, staying on their feet. Just amazing. I just love Boruc' presence in goal. So much character really. Aren't we lucky!

;