Match Report and MOM v Forest

Neil Dawson

UTC Legend
Young Saplings dominate the Forest

Nottingham was always a city where, according to urban myth, women outnumbered men by a larger than probable statistic proportion. When I was a lad it almost the universities recruitment campaign to state this and the single blokes pouring into the town eventually destroyed the myth and the statistic... were it ever true. One thing is for certain today though, Nottingham men outnumbered Bournemouth men by 11 to 10 but it didn't make the slightest bit of difference as Scott Parker's team continued their impressive start to the season to bag all three points.

Anyone thinking this side couldn't look more threadbare would have been shocked to find Ibsen Rossi (a name that should only adorn a Danish/Italian ice-cream conglomerate) starting ahead of a poorly Adam Smith - a move that saw Meps shift into the right-back position. This was the only change from the Baggies draw meaning the side still had an average age just a smidge older than most Olympic gymnasts - Parker must deliver his team talks through Tik-tok.

If you thought Sweet Caroline had plumbed the depths of Heart Radio's back catalogue the game kicking off to the Mull of Kintyre dirge took this to new levels of tunelessness. The interminable bagpipes provided the most irritating Scottish moaning at this stadium since Ryan Fraser didn't get a pass from Harry Arter on our last visit. Exchanges were even possession wise but PhilBill provided the first meaningful action with Samba tipping his drive wide.

Bournemouth were playing in groups of three, moving up the pitch in stylish triangles while Forest were relying more on the pace up front of ex-Cherry Taylor with longer balls. It was the former style that manufactured the lead with an excellent one two between Solanke and BROOKS seeing the latter advance into the box and smash home high across the keeper.

Brooks almost replicated his goal shortly after but the ball flew narrowly wide and it allowed Forest a little burst before half time with one real heart-stopping moment when Yate's thundering 20 yard drive came back off the inside of Traver's post and across the goal. This gave the hosts hope going into the break.

HT Forest 0 Bournemouth 1

Forest came out to start the half as they had finished it and Bournemouth were rocked and unable to find their rhythm. Anybody who drew 'header from a set piece' on Bournemouth Bingo were cashing in for the 86th time in three years when MCKENNA smashed home a too easy header from Zinckernagel (scores 134 on a triple word score in Scrabble). Impressively this didn't stop the visitors from knuckling back down to their rhythmic pass and move and Forest despite a brief flurry were unable to capitalise on their new found momentum.

The game was level for just ten minutes before Bournemouth returned to the ascendancy with another sumptious move seeing BILLING exchanging passes with Anthony before viciously rifling under Bamba. It looked like cruise control was starting but Brooks had other ideas. He had already been booked and was then lucky to stay on after a second clattering challenge. When he pulled back the shirt of Osei-Tutu (Desmond to his friends) the red was inevitable. It was a crazy, crazy decision with Tutu performing his balletic turn some 70 yards from Travers and about as much threat as a baby lamb in a padded vest. Scott Parker came dressed as that trendy geography teacher that smokes with the sixth form at the Christmas disco and Brooks would have felt like a naughty school-kid as he skulked past him. Their eyes didn't meet.

This left a half hour hang on. Parker switched things around after an initial onslaught with Solanke moving wide to provide some defensive energy and Marcondes briefly operating as a deep-lying false nine. It threw Forest who had a lot of sideways movement but no penetration (sound familiar against ten men?). Travers made one great save from Zinckernage and old nemesis Grabban hit the cross-bar from an off-side position else it was dead quiet until the last minute when Mephams formidable stretch and clear saved a far-post equaliser. Indeed it could have been worse for Forest with Anthony having a goal chalked off, I think because Zemura was off-side as he crossed it.

FT Forest 1 Bournemouth 2

Travers 7 - Decent stops, maybe could have been a bit sharper on goal.

Mepham 8 - One great goal-line clearance and solid throughout.
Ibsen Rossi 8 - Outstanding in the air and clever on the ground.
Kelly 8 - Solid defending from the skipper.
Zemura 8 - Maintained recent buzziness but with better passing today.

Brooks 6 - Where do you start - 8 for brilliance of goal 4 for stupidity
Marcondes 6 - Quieter today but still cleverly prompting before withdrawal.
Kilkenny 7 - Lost it crucially once but otherwise very tidy and skilful again.
Billing 8 - Outstanding work and skill again as well as 3 in 3 goals.
Anthony 7 - Ran his socks off and full of tricks, another assist.

Solanke 7 - Immense work-rate but should throw himself at crosses more.

MOM - Tough one for me out of the 8's. So as it was his debut - Ibsen Rossi, didnt put a foot wrong and looked like he had played 60 games or more.

Verdict.
Without wanting to get too excited I would say this was relatively one of our best results for a few years. When i say relatively I'm referring to the strength of team that can be put out currently which on paper is not great. What it does have though is belief, desire and work-rate with will endear it to this fan base and the rapport is already back. Scott Parker was an industrious clever player and this team are starting to follow that lead.

If you had been told at the end of last year what this line-up was you'd have said it would get humped everywhere it went... it isn't and that's due to a full understanding of the ask, and belief in each other. The passing is brave, the movement into the triangles outstanding and we have real talent going forward in Marcondes, Billing and Brooks with the others playing admirable supporting roles.

Great coaches come into their own during adversity - as Eddie often did with ten men or in trying to organise a come-back (in his earlier Premier League years). The re-modelling of this side when Forest briefly got on top, using Solanke on the flank to protect Zemura with his physicality stopped Forest playing down that side and forced the ball into a congested middle where Marcondes patrolled deep with no centre-forward. It was inspired and needs pointing out.

The big question now, with Brooks suspended and Billing limping, is how do we gear up again for Wednesday. You wonder what Parker would have done with last years team but he desperately needs signings for this years team as they will get found out. Great and inspiring though these youngsters are, and vital they will be with a smaller squad, we need a couple for the front three and a keeper at least to think of challenging when the injured come back. In the meantime though lets relish a manager and squad putting a smile on our faces..... in this year of all years it was well needed.

I’m assuming you were at the game, so based on that, you may want to re-watch the Brooks “foul” that led to their goal. It was never a foul, and should have been a booking for diving which might have saved Brooks’ skin when he made the foul that led to the second yellow later on.

However, Parker should have subbed him after the Forest goal as he was basically on his final warning

Great review though…couldn’t argue with the ratings.

Wonderful report, that.

I just want to mention this again – that was a very very vociferous home support today (our youngest was covering his ears at the start!). A lot of our lads wouldn't have experienced anything like that before, so much admiration from me.

Great report, thanks Neil. Terrific day out. Having watched initial highlights, our “offside” looked very tight: the Forest right back waiving his arm around (having been beaten inside by Zemora) seems to have swayed the lino. It Iooks to me like the left back is playing everyone on side. Grabban very clearly off. Their goal is an odd one: the set piece routine appears to have been designed to leave an unmarked player at the far post. They achieve that by having Lyle Taylor block off / foul Billing on the edge of the box (watch Taylor shout / laugh in Billing’s face after the goal is scored as he’s clearly achieved what was intended). Even then... the delivery is too short for the spare man but it still ends up on the head of McKenna and in the net.

I made it to the game and thoroughly enjoyed it. Too often in the past AFCB would have crumbled after Brooks send-off, but Parker's marshalling of the troops was superb.

I'm putting my hard hat on here, but here is the xG, which is less rosy than you may have imagined from the comments.

Key incidents / impressions.

First 15 mins, we were under the cosh, nothing too hair-raising, but lots of promising positions for Forest. On 18 mins Billing has a possible chance that is tipped over. On 28 minutes Brooks scores what was a difficult chance (rated 1 in 20). Little happens before half time apart from a flurry of chances (three) for Forest in the 43rd minute.

Second half Forest equalise from what is rated to be a difficult chance. I still haven't seen whether it was a dive that won the free kick, but the ref gave the home team a lot of 50:50 calls, so I wouldn't be surprised. Billing then scored from a 9% chance. I think it is low because a decent keeper would have done much better, as Samba was beaten at the near post from a tight angle. Brooks almost immediately gets sent off but we manage to quieten the game with hardly a chance for 15 minutes for either side. (shots from offside positions don't count, and still haven't seen if Anthony's attempt should have stood)

Hughton eventually made some attacking substitutes but all Forest created was minor chances at best, Mepham sliding in well to clear before Grabban could get there.

Capture.JPG

In summary, a great result, great attitude, great game management, and great tactical switches from Parker but not a dominant performance.

I’m assuming you were at the game, so based on that, you may want to re-watch the Brooks “foul” that led to their goal. It was never a foul, and should have been a booking for diving which might have saved Brooks’ skin when he made the foul that led to the second yellow later on.

However, Parker should have subbed him after the Forest goal as he was basically on his final warning

Great review though…couldn’t argue with the ratings.
The one just in front of us was a strong yellow.

The shirt pull back was inevitable.

He would have gone anyway.

The ref was atrocious whole game. 4 free kicks to them in first ten minutes. Kelly fouled three times before we eventually got our first free kick.

Second half when Billing just showed more desire (how good is it to type that) against their (awful) right back, who pulls Billing down and gets a feee kick. It was 10 against 12 yesterday.

Last edited:
Good report

Not sure though about using it to make the case for adding players to the squad. Happy to see players replaced as they leave, but the illnesses, suspensions, and player(s) protected will solve themselves in due course leaving the same size squad as last year, and on yesterday's evidence good youthful depth that will challenge for selection all year long. So many reasons to be optimistic in what looks like an ever more evenly matched division.

I made it to the game and thoroughly enjoyed it. Too often in the past AFCB would have crumbled after Brooks send-off, but Parker's marshalling of the troops was superb.

I'm putting my hard hat on here, but here is the xG, which is less rosy than you may have imagined from the comments.

Key incidents / impressions.

First 15 mins, we were under the cosh, nothing too hair-raising, but lots of promising positions for Forest. On 18 mins Billing has a possible chance that is tipped over. On 28 minutes Brooks scores what was a difficult chance (rated 1 in 20). Little happens before half time apart from a flurry of chances (three) for Forest in the 43rd minute.

Second half Forest equalise from what is rated to be a difficult chance. I still haven't seen whether it was a dive that won the free kick, but the ref gave the home team a lot of 50:50 calls, so I wouldn't be surprised. Billing then scored from a 9% chance. I think it is low because a decent keeper would have done much better, as Samba was beaten at the near post from a tight angle. Brooks almost immediately gets sent off but we manage to quieten the game with hardly a chance for 15 minutes for either side. (shots from offside positions don't count, and still haven't seen if Anthony's attempt should have stood)

Hughton eventually made some attacking substitutes but all Forest created was minor chances at best, Mepham sliding in well to clear before Grabban could get there.

View attachment 6206

In summary, a great result, great attitude, great game management, and great tactical switches from Parker but not a dominant performance.
I really appreciate your analysis and your XG commentary. Games though are won on real goals, and matches adapt to them. Forest were ok, but no real spark, whereas we constantly looked dynamic, and cut through them. I was still celebrating the 3rd goal well after the flag, offside didnt even come into my mind, but it was another brilliant move. It was similar near the end with Davis cross. In truth we cut them open to create great chances. Very encouraging.

BTW Man Uts had expected goals of about 1.5 my lad said to me on the way back.

So dominant, no perhaps not, comfortable, in control and deserved, definitely.

"The interminable bagpipes provided the most irritating Scottish moaning at this stadium since Ryan Fraser didn't get a pass from Harry Arter on our last visit."

Neil's back - class !
Thing is David, brilliant though this was, and I really do dislike Fraser now, I'm still not sure it was the best.

It was a strong top 5, baby lamb vest was right up there too! Still chuckling.

No, I did say I’d do the odd away game that wasn’t on tv. I will let someone else do the home ones and I think it’s better for variety rather than one voice (and one bias).

No, I did say I’d do the odd away game that wasn’t on tv. I will let someone else do the home ones and I think it’s better for variety rather than one voice (and one bias).
This is great news Neil....you know how much I appreciate your match reports.....this one was well worth the wait!
We do still have last year's team btw .

;