Match Report and MOM v Forest

Great report, glad that you are back doing them mate. Agree with most of what you have written. Again like the West Brom performance, I thought that considering the experience of the side we had on show that it was another heroic showing. To consider that we played a third of the game with ten men, an average age of 23 and not a single viable substitute to call upon, these lads are doing us proud. They NEED some help though, we are in desperate need of reinforcements if we are to really challenge.
I quite like Parker ball so far and the fluidity of the movement of the forward players. It’s very clear that a lot of work goes into these passing triangles with underlapping runners in the wide areas. The game plan is clearly to switch play at every opportunity to the opposite flank (wide man is hugging the touchline at all times) and then start working these passing patterns. The partnership between JZ, JA and PB is a joy to watch. Given how vital attacking full backs are to this way of playing, it is very encouraging that we were able to win this game with Mepham at right back, as he obviously provided no attacking threat whatsoever (not a criticism or his fault.)
In terms of the ratings I thought Anthony was one of our better players and well worth an eight. This boy really is something else. His vision, timing of pass and execution are all sublime. He played a couple of superb cross field balls today. Only minor point I’d make is that he should maybe keep his defender guessing by mixing up his game a bit more, running at his defender more often would make this guy almost the complete player for his position. His work rate is also exceptional.
I thought Mepham was very vulnerable but that this was no fault of his own. He is in no way whatsoever to playing as a full back in a team that presses high up the pitch. Not fair to judge him on this showing but I hope never to see him there again. When Davis game on the threat down that side immediately evaporated.
On Brooks, for 60 minutes we had the Brooksie of old back. Gliding across the turf, clever interchanges and a massive goal threat. He then goes and receives one of the most braindead red cards that you are ever likely to see, and right after we were in the ascendancy. Im sure we’ll here the regular sound bite “he will learn from this.” Well i’m sorry, no. He should not need to learn from this, if he hasn’t worked out by now at the age of 23 that pulling a players shirt back in a completely inconsequential area of the pitch when already on a yellow card and your last warning then the guy is probably never going to learn. Idiotic in the extreme and now we’re even more stretched for Wednesday.
JZ MOTM for me, one of the finest full back displays in recent years. And I’m not exaggerating either. A constant menace going forward and had the Forest winger in his pocket defensively. Was a lot more diligent with his defensive positioning today and didn’t get caught out with balls in behind.
Quick word on Travers. Commanded his penalty area much better today, very pleasing to see him come and claim a couple. All in all a very enjoyable day.
ps please could you continue doing the reports as it takes me about an hour and a half to write them when I do it and I’d like my weekend back lol

This is great news Neil....you know how much I appreciate your match reports.....this one was well worth the wait!
We do still have last year's team btw .

Thanks! We don’t have last years team, key players have left CCV, Rico and Begovic, will never see its key player Danjuma pull on a shirt again and injuries to other main players have left this team nowhere near the level of the one before. I know it suits your narrative that Parker should do as well as your beloved Quinndall but it’s stretching it to say just because half of yesterday’s team were here last year playing against Basingstoke U21 they were part of the squad.

Thanks! We don’t have last years team, key players have left CCV, Rico and Begovic, will never see its key player Danjuma pull on a shirt again and injuries to other main players have left this team nowhere near the level of the one before. I know it suits your narrative that Parker should do as well as your beloved Quinndall but it’s stretching it to say just because half of yesterday’s team were here last year playing against Basingstoke U21 they were part of the squad.
True, clearly isn’t the same team as last season. However Rico wasn’t a key player and we don’t actually know that Danjuma won’t pull on the shirt again.

Young Saplings dominate the Forest

Nottingham was always a city where, according to urban myth, women outnumbered men by a larger than probable statistic proportion. When I was a lad it almost the universities recruitment campaign to state this and the single blokes pouring into the town eventually destroyed the myth and the statistic... were it ever true. One thing is for certain today though, Nottingham men outnumbered Bournemouth men by 11 to 10 but it didn't make the slightest bit of difference as Scott Parker's team continued their impressive start to the season to bag all three points.

Anyone thinking this side couldn't look more threadbare would have been shocked to find Ibsen Rossi (a name that should only adorn a Danish/Italian ice-cream conglomerate) starting ahead of a poorly Adam Smith - a move that saw Meps shift into the right-back position. This was the only change from the Baggies draw meaning the side still had an average age just a smidge older than most Olympic gymnasts - Parker must deliver his team talks through Tik-tok.

If you thought Sweet Caroline had plumbed the depths of Heart Radio's back catalogue the game kicking off to the Mull of Kintyre dirge took this to new levels of tunelessness. The interminable bagpipes provided the most irritating Scottish moaning at this stadium since Ryan Fraser didn't get a pass from Harry Arter on our last visit. Exchanges were even possession wise but PhilBill provided the first meaningful action with Samba tipping his drive wide.

Bournemouth were playing in groups of three, moving up the pitch in stylish triangles while Forest were relying more on the pace up front of ex-Cherry Taylor with longer balls. It was the former style that manufactured the lead with an excellent one two between Solanke and BROOKS seeing the latter advance into the box and smash home high across the keeper.

Brooks almost replicated his goal shortly after but the ball flew narrowly wide and it allowed Forest a little burst before half time with one real heart-stopping moment when Yate's thundering 20 yard drive came back off the inside of Traver's post and across the goal. This gave the hosts hope going into the break.

HT Forest 0 Bournemouth 1

Forest came out to start the half as they had finished it and Bournemouth were rocked and unable to find their rhythm. Anybody who drew 'header from a set piece' on Bournemouth Bingo were cashing in for the 86th time in three years when MCKENNA smashed home a too easy header from Zinckernagel (scores 134 on a triple word score in Scrabble). Impressively this didn't stop the visitors from knuckling back down to their rhythmic pass and move and Forest despite a brief flurry were unable to capitalise on their new found momentum.

The game was level for just ten minutes before Bournemouth returned to the ascendancy with another sumptious move seeing BILLING exchanging passes with Anthony before viciously rifling under Bamba. It looked like cruise control was starting but Brooks had other ideas. He had already been booked and was then lucky to stay on after a second clattering challenge. When he pulled back the shirt of Osei-Tutu (Desmond to his friends) the red was inevitable. It was a crazy, crazy decision with Tutu performing his balletic turn some 70 yards from Travers and about as much threat as a baby lamb in a padded vest. Scott Parker came dressed as that trendy geography teacher that smokes with the sixth form at the Christmas disco and Brooks would have felt like a naughty school-kid as he skulked past him. Their eyes didn't meet.

This left a half hour hang on. Parker switched things around after an initial onslaught with Solanke moving wide to provide some defensive energy and Marcondes briefly operating as a deep-lying false nine. It threw Forest who had a lot of sideways movement but no penetration (sound familiar against ten men?). Travers made one great save from Zinckernage and old nemesis Grabban hit the cross-bar from an off-side position else it was dead quiet until the last minute when Mephams formidable stretch and clear saved a far-post equaliser. Indeed it could have been worse for Forest with Anthony having a goal chalked off, I think because Zemura was off-side as he crossed it.

FT Forest 1 Bournemouth 2

Travers 7 - Decent stops, maybe could have been a bit sharper on goal.

Mepham 8 - One great goal-line clearance and solid throughout.
Ibsen Rossi 8 - Outstanding in the air and clever on the ground.
Kelly 8 - Solid defending from the skipper.
Zemura 8 - Maintained recent buzziness but with better passing today.

Brooks 6 - Where do you start - 8 for brilliance of goal 4 for stupidity
Marcondes 6 - Quieter today but still cleverly prompting before withdrawal.
Kilkenny 7 - Lost it crucially once but otherwise very tidy and skilful again.
Billing 8 - Outstanding work and skill again as well as 3 in 3 goals.
Anthony 7 - Ran his socks off and full of tricks, another assist.

Solanke 7 - Immense work-rate but should throw himself at crosses more.

MOM - Tough one for me out of the 8's. So as it was his debut - Ibsen Rossi, didnt put a foot wrong and looked like he had played 60 games or more.

Verdict.
Without wanting to get too excited I would say this was relatively one of our best results for a few years. When i say relatively I'm referring to the strength of team that can be put out currently which on paper is not great. What it does have though is belief, desire and work-rate with will endear it to this fan base and the rapport is already back. Scott Parker was an industrious clever player and this team are starting to follow that lead.

If you had been told at the end of last year what this line-up was you'd have said it would get humped everywhere it went... it isn't and that's due to a full understanding of the ask, and belief in each other. The passing is brave, the movement into the triangles outstanding and we have real talent going forward in Marcondes, Billing and Brooks with the others playing admirable supporting roles.

Great coaches come into their own during adversity - as Eddie often did with ten men or in trying to organise a come-back (in his earlier Premier League years). The re-modelling of this side when Forest briefly got on top, using Solanke on the flank to protect Zemura with his physicality stopped Forest playing down that side and forced the ball into a congested middle where Marcondes patrolled deep with no centre-forward. It was inspired and needs pointing out.

The big question now, with Brooks suspended and Billing limping, is how do we gear up again for Wednesday. You wonder what Parker would have done with last years team but he desperately needs signings for this years team as they will get found out. Great and inspiring though these youngsters are, and vital they will be with a smaller squad, we need a couple for the front three and a keeper at least to think of challenging when the injured come back. In the meantime though lets relish a manager and squad putting a smile on our faces..... in this year of all years it was well needed.
Great report and good to see you again yesterday.

I really appreciate your analysis and your XG commentary. Games though are won on real goals, and matches adapt to them. Forest were ok, but no real spark, whereas we constantly looked dynamic, and cut through them. I was still celebrating the 3rd goal well after the flag, offside didnt even come into my mind, but it was another brilliant move. It was similar near the end with Davis cross. In truth we cut them open to create great chances. Very encouraging.

BTW Man Uts had expected goals of about 1.5 my lad said to me on the way back.

So dominant, no perhaps not, comfortable, in control and deserved, definitely.

He's right, see below. I haven't seen MoTD to see if these were about right. Better strikers will score more goals than the xG predicts, and equally goalkeeping errors will see more goals and sometimes the stars collide.

Scanning the values it does show that a result can be a lottery (three times in seven the team with the better xG lost). Agree that it would be better if the near-chances, such as the Davis cross, were included. Some sites do include these, I think, but this may get more contentious and I've got it down to a 5 minute job. Happy to keep putting these out, and won't be offended with any criticisms of it as I see it as a 'fun' addition.

Capture.JPG

I'm a nervous viewer, and maybe worry too much, but I'm not sure we fully deserved it. If it had ended a draw, I'd have been massively disappointed, but wouldn't have felt robbed as we created few clear cut chances. If Travers had let Billing's goal in he would have received a whole load of abuse on here so I'm considering this as lucky.

Wonderful report, that.

I just want to mention this again – that was a very very vociferous home support today (our youngest was covering his ears at the start!). A lot of our lads wouldn't have experienced anything like that before, so much admiration from me.
Until they switched the loudspeakers off and weirdly the crowd noise stopped dead. Funny that.

True, clearly isn’t the same team as last season. However Rico wasn’t a key player and we don’t actually know that Danjuma won’t pull on the shirt again.
Yes and we didn't have CCV at the start of last season....so pretty much the same team.

He's right, see below. I haven't seen MoTD to see if these were about right. Better strikers will score more goals than the xG predicts, and equally goalkeeping errors will see more goals and sometimes the stars collide.

Scanning the values it does show that a result can be a lottery (three times in seven the team with the better xG lost). Agree that it would be better if the near-chances, such as the Davis cross, were included. Some sites do include these, I think, but this may get more contentious and I've got it down to a 5 minute job. Happy to keep putting these out, and won't be offended with any criticisms of it as I see it as a 'fun' addition.

View attachment 6212

I'm a nervous viewer, and maybe worry too much, but I'm not sure we fully deserved it. If it had ended a draw, I'd have been massively disappointed, but wouldn't have felt robbed as we created few clear cut chances. If Travers had let Billing's goal in he would have received a whole load of abuse on here so I'm considering this as lucky.
Yeah, except if it hadnt gone in, we would have pushed harder to get the second, not withstanding whether Brooks would still have been sent off etc. Thats my point, goals change matches. Obviously I am now reviewing it with the perfect science of hindsight, but they created virtually nothing in that last half hour.

Yes and we didn't have CCV at the start of last season....so pretty much the same team.
Solanke, Billing, Kelly, Meoham and Brooks were the only players on the pitch anywhere near the first team last year. If your definition of same team is they were ‘in the building and some of them once got waved at by Woodgate’ then yeah, spot on… same team as last year.

Solanke, Billing, Kelly, Meoham and Brooks were the only players on the pitch anywhere near the first team last year. If your definition of same team is they were ‘in the building and some of them once got waved at by Woodgate’ then yeah, spot on… same team as last year.
Oh I'm sorry Neil...I didn't think you were being so literal....by 'last year's team' I thought you were talking about having the same players in the squad.....in either case you won't have to wonder for much longer.

Oh I'm sorry Neil...I didn't think you were being so literal....by 'last year's team' I thought you were talking about having the same players in the squad.....in either case you won't have to wonder for much longer.
That’s clearer. Just like Ibe was a key member of our team two years ago. I get it! Just thought it odd after your bemoaning the lack of opportunity given to Kilkenny in previous years we now find out he was a key part of the team in those years after all…

View attachment 6212

Can't get into expected goals, but nice to meet you yesterday Matt.

That’s clearer. Just like Ibe was a key member of our team two years ago. I get it! Just thought it odd after your bemoaning the lack of opportunity given to Kilkenny in previous years we now find out he was a key part of the team in those years after all…
Obviously having the likes of Kilkenny .... Anthony and Zemura breaking through from the squad to the first team is a massive improvement on last season.....Parker is a lucky man to be able to reap the rewards of Eddie's investment in our youth team.

Young Saplings dominate the Forest

Nottingham was always a city where, according to urban myth, women outnumbered men by a larger than probable statistic proportion. When I was a lad it almost the universities recruitment campaign to state this and the single blokes pouring into the town eventually destroyed the myth and the statistic... were it ever true. One thing is for certain today though, Nottingham men outnumbered Bournemouth men by 11 to 10 but it didn't make the slightest bit of difference as Scott Parker's team continued their impressive start to the season to bag all three points.

Anyone thinking this side couldn't look more threadbare would have been shocked to find Ibsen Rossi (a name that should only adorn a Danish/Italian ice-cream conglomerate) starting ahead of a poorly Adam Smith - a move that saw Meps shift into the right-back position. This was the only change from the Baggies draw meaning the side still had an average age just a smidge older than most Olympic gymnasts - Parker must deliver his team talks through Tik-tok.

If you thought Sweet Caroline had plumbed the depths of Heart Radio's back catalogue the game kicking off to the Mull of Kintyre dirge took this to new levels of tunelessness. The interminable bagpipes provided the most irritating Scottish moaning at this stadium since Ryan Fraser didn't get a pass from Harry Arter on our last visit. Exchanges were even possession wise but PhilBill provided the first meaningful action with Samba tipping his drive wide.

Bournemouth were playing in groups of three, moving up the pitch in stylish triangles while Forest were relying more on the pace up front of ex-Cherry Taylor with longer balls. It was the former style that manufactured the lead with an excellent one two between Solanke and BROOKS seeing the latter advance into the box and smash home high across the keeper.

Brooks almost replicated his goal shortly after but the ball flew narrowly wide and it allowed Forest a little burst before half time with one real heart-stopping moment when Yate's thundering 20 yard drive came back off the inside of Traver's post and across the goal. This gave the hosts hope going into the break.

HT Forest 0 Bournemouth 1

Forest came out to start the half as they had finished it and Bournemouth were rocked and unable to find their rhythm. Anybody who drew 'header from a set piece' on Bournemouth Bingo were cashing in for the 86th time in three years when MCKENNA smashed home a too easy header from Zinckernagel (scores 134 on a triple word score in Scrabble). Impressively this didn't stop the visitors from knuckling back down to their rhythmic pass and move and Forest despite a brief flurry were unable to capitalise on their new found momentum.

The game was level for just ten minutes before Bournemouth returned to the ascendancy with another sumptious move seeing BILLING exchanging passes with Anthony before viciously rifling under Bamba. It looked like cruise control was starting but Brooks had other ideas. He had already been booked and was then lucky to stay on after a second clattering challenge. When he pulled back the shirt of Osei-Tutu (Desmond to his friends) the red was inevitable. It was a crazy, crazy decision with Tutu performing his balletic turn some 70 yards from Travers and about as much threat as a baby lamb in a padded vest. Scott Parker came dressed as that trendy geography teacher that smokes with the sixth form at the Christmas disco and Brooks would have felt like a naughty school-kid as he skulked past him. Their eyes didn't meet.

This left a half hour hang on. Parker switched things around after an initial onslaught with Solanke moving wide to provide some defensive energy and Marcondes briefly operating as a deep-lying false nine. It threw Forest who had a lot of sideways movement but no penetration (sound familiar against ten men?). Travers made one great save from Zinckernage and old nemesis Grabban hit the cross-bar from an off-side position else it was dead quiet until the last minute when Mephams formidable stretch and clear saved a far-post equaliser. Indeed it could have been worse for Forest with Anthony having a goal chalked off, I think because Zemura was off-side as he crossed it.

FT Forest 1 Bournemouth 2

Travers 7 - Decent stops, maybe could have been a bit sharper on goal.

Mepham 8 - One great goal-line clearance and solid throughout.
Ibsen Rossi 8 - Outstanding in the air and clever on the ground.
Kelly 8 - Solid defending from the skipper.
Zemura 8 - Maintained recent buzziness but with better passing today.

Brooks 6 - Where do you start - 8 for brilliance of goal 4 for stupidity
Marcondes 6 - Quieter today but still cleverly prompting before withdrawal.
Kilkenny 7 - Lost it crucially once but otherwise very tidy and skilful again.
Billing 8 - Outstanding work and skill again as well as 3 in 3 goals.
Anthony 7 - Ran his socks off and full of tricks, another assist.

Solanke 7 - Immense work-rate but should throw himself at crosses more.

MOM - Tough one for me out of the 8's. So as it was his debut - Ibsen Rossi, didnt put a foot wrong and looked like he had played 60 games or more.

Verdict.
Without wanting to get too excited I would say this was relatively one of our best results for a few years. When i say relatively I'm referring to the strength of team that can be put out currently which on paper is not great. What it does have though is belief, desire and work-rate with will endear it to this fan base and the rapport is already back. Scott Parker was an industrious clever player and this team are starting to follow that lead.

If you had been told at the end of last year what this line-up was you'd have said it would get humped everywhere it went... it isn't and that's due to a full understanding of the ask, and belief in each other. The passing is brave, the movement into the triangles outstanding and we have real talent going forward in Marcondes, Billing and Brooks with the others playing admirable supporting roles.

Great coaches come into their own during adversity - as Eddie often did with ten men or in trying to organise a come-back (in his earlier Premier League years). The re-modelling of this side when Forest briefly got on top, using Solanke on the flank to protect Zemura with his physicality stopped Forest playing down that side and forced the ball into a congested middle where Marcondes patrolled deep with no centre-forward. It was inspired and needs pointing out.

The big question now, with Brooks suspended and Billing limping, is how do we gear up again for Wednesday. You wonder what Parker would have done with last years team but he desperately needs signings for this years team as they will get found out. Great and inspiring though these youngsters are, and vital they will be with a smaller squad, we need a couple for the front three and a keeper at least to think of challenging when the injured come back. In the meantime though lets relish a manager and squad putting a smile on our faces..... in this year of all years it was well needed.

Wow...stupendously brilliant report...with cracking humour...the man Dawson is 'on a roll ' with that !

;