Match Report and MOM v Liverpool

Neil Dawson

UTC Legend
Egyptian King leaves Bournemouth wanting Mummy.

Bournemouth’s love of playing players back into form continued as they turned Salah from a jittery start to last seasons’ majestic form within 90 minutes. The result – another heavy legged performance without the ball and a fifth defeat in six games.

Gareth Southgate was here (presumably to check if Francis could replace Trippier) and we need to get round to banning him. His last three games have been today, the 0-4 at Burnley and the 1-4 at Huddersfield. Fans annoyed that Steve Cook doesn’t start for England ahead of Dunk might want to reflect on this. Cook’s uncharacteristic performance today means Mrs Dunk would get the nod ahead of him next time.

Worryingly, Southgate’s favourite Wilson didn’t start the game so Stanislas came in pushing King to the centre. As expected Surman replaced Cook. It looked like the formation might be 4-5-1 with Brooks behind King but it was the routine Eddie 4-4-2 with Fraser up front alongside the Norwegian.

This formation gave Liverpool lots of the ball with Bournemouth withdrawing into their standard 2018/19 season counter attacking position. Unfortunately it was proving hard to get out with Liverpools’ defence outstanding at being first to the ball and King and Stan in particular strangely hesitant.

The East stand linesman was having a game to forget and clearly mesmerised by Salah. He allowed him two offside runs in a row and his derision from the home fans was sealed when he was one of the main features in Liverpool’s opener. Begovic should have held Firmino’s drive, or beaten it wide, he did neither and SALAH advanced from an offside position to slam home.

Liverpool were up to 77% possession by this stage – but Bournemouth did battle back and enjoyed the better of the last fifteen minutes. Against a defence that has only conceded five goals chances were always going to be at a premium so it was frustrating that nobody seemed prepared to shoot on the wet pitch like Firmino had. Stan twice was in excellent positions but passed the buck. The one decent chance fell to Brooks but his shot was well saved by Allison.

HT Bournemouth 0 Liverpool 1

‘Keep it tight for 15 lads’ would undoubtedly have been Eddie’s half-time instructions with the game score wise on a knife edge. He would have been infuriated with Bournemouth being the architects of their own misfortune. Franno, Stan and Cook playing needless triangles in dangerous areas leading to Cookie releasing SALAH. The Egyptian still had plenty to do but advanced well and cleverly passed the ball past Begovic as Daniels tried to tap his ankles.

This kind of killed the game as a spectacle with Liverpool having to conceded 60% of the total goals they had in the whole season to lose the match. Mousset came on for Brooks to lead the charge with two up front. Memories of two years ago would have been on the minds of the Bournemouth players and fans but that pipe-dream evaporated when COOK bizarrely deflected in Robertson’s cross for another freak own goal.

From that moment on Bournemouth had more of the possession which at least gave them a breather. Daniels and Stanislas registered shots towards goal although neither flustered Allison. The final goal will be one of those ones that features on show-reels of SALAH’s career. He was put through and rounded Begovic but then George Best style stopped, rounded him again for good measure and body swerved two defenders before poking it past Ake on the line. Cheeky and firmly back in form for the rest of the season.

Whoever Wolves out of form forward is (Bonatini?) needs to get ten quid on himself scoring the first next week! We all do!

FT Bournemouth 0 Liverpool 4

Begovic 6 – Should have saved first, handled well for rest of game.

Francis 7 – Assured and led well I thought – pick of defence.
Cook 4 – A game to forget for the stalwart. Dragged around and cost two goals.
Ake 5 – Decent first half but dominated and bypassed in second.
Daniels 5 – Must hate playing against Salah – who can blame him?

Stanislas 4 – Non-existent, lucky to stay on, needs to shoot.
Lerma 7 – Stuck to his task manfully and clever use of ball.
Surman 7 – I thought he moved it really well and prompted constantly.
Brooks 5 – Leggy, tired display with the odd flash. Needs a break.

Fraser 5 – Ran a lot but always out-powered.
King 5 – Didn’t put himself about or find gaps

MOM – three players up for it for me – Franno, Lerma and Surman. Hard to split but will give to Franno as he had the hardest challenge against him and rose above his fellow defenders.

Verdict.
We say it time and time again but in these games you need straight and strong officials and no individual mistakes and potentially a slice of luck.

Much of the fans debate will centre on the linesman. Rightly so as the first goal is crucial. However, once you set that aside I think the level of our performances are starting to get alarming. That’s five defeats from six and the one win was a very poor performance with 30% possession. It’s hard to argue with 23 points before the half-way stage but I think we are starting to sink both in terms of ability to give our all (stamina) and personnel numbers.

Firstly stamina. This new way of playing without the ball is starting to take it’s toll. The players have looked shattered to me for some weeks and without strong recognisable reserves this is a massive problem. Brooks has played too often on his step up a division and he is not alone in needing a rest. There won’t be one though and one wonders how Eddie is going to get his side through the six games in 12 days he has coming up. It could be the youth team against Chelsea at this rate. It’s the back four and centre mid that need freshening and hopefully Eddie will pick the winnable games for the first team and experiment/rest players for the trips to Wembley, Stamford Bridge and Old Trafford. If we can get to 30 points by mid Jan we can re-group and hopefully make additions.

I think Eddie needs to consider if staying as a counter attacking unit is correct. We have not beaten any top six sides this season for the first time ever pre-christmas and I think giving them the ball is a strange way of approaching these games. Quality will out if you allow them near the box. We were better when we just went at them assuming we might lose but that we would give it a really good go. I think it has also been the main contributory factor into why we look so shattered. It was a very low energy performance from two or three people today – hence the result.

Personnel wise we are putting plasters on left right and centre now. We will rue never signing a right back as Fraser will end up there if Franno has the groin strain he looked like he picked up. We never replaced Arter as a PL quality midfielder – Lerma should have been the third one we had, not the second and now he is the only! We need to nurture the squad to January and then go look at centre midfielders and right backs.

It was a linesman that started it but we have to admit we could have done much more to get back in this match, great a team as Liverpool look to be.

That’s a fair report, Neil. I’ve seen comments elsewhere that we were ‘shocking’, but I actually thought we were in the game first half. Liverpool for all their possession were fairly underwhelming. Then they score with their first chance. Looked off-side at the time, later confirmed by the TV pictures. First goal always changes a game and so it turned out. We were never going to score twice against their defence. Matip and V Dijk gave us nothing second half. Mistakes crept in, Salah was clinical. They were better than us second half.
But I don’t feel disheartened. We were much better than in midweek and much better than in the previous 0-4 against them.
Surman and Lerma had good games. Wee Man tried manfully. Brooks had a good chance. Ake battled hard. Franno had a good game, worked his socks off. We missed Callum.

Good report Neil, I totally agree with the conclusive statement - we could have been better but we didn't have a chance of coming back after two-nil....

Surman was the pick of the bunch for me. Good cross field passes to (ironically) Franno and very brave on the ball. I noticed this against Burnley when both Surman and Lerma played but when attacking, Lerma stays back while Surman pushes forward. He seems far better up the pitch than near our own box. Plus he didn't seem to lose possession once. Lerma looked off pace in the first half but definitely improved the second.

Liverpool nothing special today - except Salah. Their CBs very solid, Keita lively, nothing much else.

We looked tired. Slow to second balls and very slow to break - our strength earlier in the season. We need younger legs in defence and a lively central midfielder - make space by waving off Defoe and loaning Mousset.

I should have added - Joe Allen please. He’d bring some grit and skill to midfield - could link well with Lerma. £15-20 million?

When you are a counter attacking team, generally you concede possession through tactical choice. I’m not sure that was the case today. We didn’t have any possession as we weren’t good enough.

Another point is that playing without the ball usually means less work than dominating the ball. Therefore I don’t completely buy the tiredness argument. I will concede that not having the ball is more mentally more exhausting and that might be where the real problem lies.

Overall there’s no need for panic stations. Despite all Liverpool’s early possession, they barely had a shot let alone look like scoring. Unfortunately we always have a tendency to gift the opposition goals.

I would agree it’s time to give Brooks a rest. If we go 3-4-3 at Wolves, then he’d be the one to miss out if Mings comes in at the back and a fit Callum comes in for Stan.

Decent report, I agree no need for panic but definitely need for concern. Last six games we only really had three decent performances. None of which were in the game we won. Today we weren't terrible, but didn't push them in the way that we did Arsenal and Manchester pair. Fatigue was mentioned, as are the injuries, but still I expected more energy. Could be right about the counter attacking thing, if I have the ball you can't score, though it works well against those outside the top 6 I suppose mostly because their defenders don't have the athelticism to fix it when we do break super fast

So like I say, not panicking, but we have Wolves, Brighton, and Watford between now and the New Year hangover finally subsiding. I'd like to see us on 30 points at least come Jan 02, more than that I'd like to see the performances back at the level they were at before. Maybe it's just the winter slump we always seem to encounter, here's hoping for a very early Spring

Sorry but Franno was diabolical throughout. His positioning and reading of the game was lower league stuff. If it’s effort you’re talking about then okay MOM poss. The rest of the team are a bag of nerves along side him and we must move the old timers out to pasture

I am not so sure about this so called change in style to a counter attacking team. I think it is just another string to our bow and not our normal way of playing. You have to remember we have had a spell of playing top sides who are good enough to keep the ball.
The first goal begovic probably should have done better but I was right in line with that ball and it didn't half dip and swerve late.

Sorry but Franno was diabolical throughout. His positioning and reading of the game was lower league stuff. If it’s effort you’re talking about then okay MOM poss. The rest of the team are a bag of nerves along side him and we must move the old timers out to pasture

Well they say it's all about opinions...

I've come to the conclusion Franno and Charlie are great players when attacking but are absolutely woeful at defending.
I agree that we must look at right backs and centre mids,something I alluded to in my post midweek about strengthening in January.
Does anyone think it was a waste of time Mings coming on for ten minutes?
I thought he played very well v City and should have started today.
I thought today we were well in the game until that second goal which was a poor mistake and seemed to deflate the players.
Always going to be chasing the game after that.

this is the same Franno that had Zaha in his back pocket all game a few weeks back !! I do agree however that we need to reinforce that area especially with Smith out for another couple of months.

Hmm just seen the match stats which are pretty extraordinary really - Liverpool 6 shots, 4 on target, 4 goals - and reinforces my view that the Huddersfield game was a much more uncomfortable watch and much worse performance. We somehow allowed Hudders 23 or so attempts on goal. Luckily they didnt have Salah.

Begovic 6? Well I suppose it’s the season of giving and being generous.

Keepers get scored on one mistake and outfield players don’t. It always annoys me. He didn’t do anything wrong apart from the one thing that shouldn’t have been allowed to stand anyway.

Sorry, but "diabolical"?? Francis had 1 or 2 crosses that could have been better, but otherwise played very well. Him and Surman were a class above the rest today. But sure, move them on, why not...

Keepers get scored on one mistake and outfield players don’t. It always annoys me. He didn’t do anything wrong apart from the one thing that shouldn’t have been allowed to stand anyway.

Nearly, but made a complete hash of a cross a few minutes before the goal too. Didn't really do anything else wrong, but can't recall him needing to make a save either.

;