Match Report and Mom v Man U

It might not be popular, but I thought Aké wasn't so good today. He was probably best placed to stop Rashford's goal but misjudged the cross, plus got very lucky when totally miskickong the ball from a cross.

I thought this at the time and think you’ve been generous Neil. Ake seemed to duck out of the header, almost as if he’d had a call from behind. That mistake coloured the whole afternoon for me sadly.

We’ve gone toe to toe with Manchester United, a team full of players who graced the World Cup with their nations. A couple of them have even lifted the World Cup and yet AFC Bournemouth matched them playing some exceptional football in the first half.

We played better yesterday than the season when we beat them.

Yes they had the depth on the bench to change things and we didn’t.

Manchester United’s squad cost how much exactly?

Cook and Ake were immense at the back but once again our lack of height at the back has cost us!

It was obvious that we were happy with the draw by making a substitution in injury time.

In the old days, Supa would simply move back five minutes from time to help out central defence to head away all of those desperate late hoofs into our penalty area! Their desperate cross for their equalizer would have been meat and drink for Supa!

Don't we have anyone who could do a similar type of job that Supa did now?!

Good report Neil, don't agree with you on mom though. I thought Ake had a relatively poor performance by his own very high standards, first half especially. I'd have given it to steve cooke, smith and francis wasn't to far behind them.

Cook and Ake were immense at the back but once again our lack of height at the back has cost us!

It was obvious that we were happy with the draw by making a substitution in injury time.

In the old days, Supa would simply move back five minutes from time to help out central defence to head away all of those desperate late hoofs into our penalty area! Their desperate cross for their equalizer would have been meat and drink for Supa!

Don't we have anyone who could do a similar type of job that Supa did now?!

we did have a forward that was great at defending corners and free kicks, bloke called Afobe.......................

We’ve gone toe to toe with Manchester United, a team full of players who graced the World Cup with their nations. A couple of them have even lifted the World Cup and yet AFC Bournemouth matched them playing some exceptional football in the first half.

We played better yesterday than the season when we beat them.

Yes they had the depth on the bench to change things and we didn’t.

Manchester United’s squad cost how much exactly?
From my distant perspective, this was a very disappointing result, and it's got nothing to do with the players or management. It's about my own expectations. As recently as last year, we would say it was a good try, it's ManU after all, look at the payroll, we never get a break on the calls, etc. etc. Some on this post - or elsewhere - used the term "inevitable" to describe the finish. But, I really felt that we should have found a way to carry a point, that's what the great ones do and that's what we aspire to be. That said, still in sixth and many opportunities ahead.

Good report Neil, don't agree with you on mom though. I thought Ake had a relatively poor performance by his own very high standards, first half especially. I'd have given it to steve cooke, smith and francis wasn't to far behind them.

Ake was really good as usual - however, he wasn't close enough to his man just before their winning goal.

I’m just gutted about the result. Plenty to be happy about the performance. I just feel if we had managed to go in 1-0 up at half time.

We’ve had plenty of games where we get something in the last minutes. So I guess wee were due some of our own medicine at some point :(

On Sky and Motd Lerma seemed to me the Mom.or maybe Wilson. Nathan a bit pressured into mistakes? I'm now convinced that L.Cook has been unfairly overrated. He is only brilliant in very small bursts. Brooks at the moment for me is Man City standard..ok he tires a bit, not surprising with the shift he puts in! Same with Fraser on that score!
In the second half United made it seem they had more players on the pitch.....Mata was writing poems with the ball...
But that was only Sky in the pub and Motd ..I wasn't there as is often said to me!
On a side issue....Two Saints fans joined me with their pints and shouted for Us. I was quite stunned by that...I don't get it but they just mumbled something about our exciting football and they love watching Fraser! Oh These Cherries ...these days....not the most boring are we?

Last edited:
I know what you’re saying, but one defensive midfielder in Surman, and Gosling with the touch of a 5 year old on a bouncy castle, we aren’t going to win the battle in the middle against the likes of Man Utd.

Mourinho went long...... we could have done the same, rather than trying to win it in the middle.

Gosling and Surman don’t have a forward pass between them.
Gos made one or two nice touches, had a shot I think, but take your point, a long ball cutting out midfield to our forwards may have achieved several things.

;