Match Report and MOM v Naarwich

I’ve not been critical if you read the report you will see that. What I said was they are all getting to know each other and I’m hoping they are working out how to not have 37% possession at home. Hardly a damming critique! That team should be dominating games not being dominated.

The argument the ‘our Jason’ crowd had was that we needed continuity and had to hit the ground running. A new manager would be change and we couldn’t afford that time. Now the same people are saying it needs time?

We have a better squad than Norwich so I’d have expected us to dominate the game not them dominate us but it’s early days.

Continuity was in relation to not changing the entire backroom staff including all of the extra expense that would entail.

You said Tindal was more of the same yet he's already played new formations, he's even played your favourite one and played the players you've been calling out for in the number 10 role... He's also started really well in terms of results. I guess that's why you've had to plumb the depths to find some angle to slag him off.

What's Neil going to focus on in his match report after a good start? Errrrr, possession stats, that's it.

We have a better squad than Norwich so I’d have expected us to dominate the game not them dominate us but it’s early days.

Yet they dominated us in both games last season. We only had 34% of possession in Jan. They have the same manager, with much of the same squad playing the same system.

I still don't understand how you've reached that conclusion
it may be the most expensive squad

I’ve reached the conclusion through looking through the other squads. Nobody else has a 27m Lerma, a 15m Danjuma, a couple full England internationals, Norway’s centre forward, two international goalkeepers, England U21 centre half, Wales best starlet etc etc etc...

The talent at our disposal in this league is ridiculous. Money does also count because it brings you better players. Just as whenever we lost to Spurs, Man C or Arsenal in recent years we were content to point out, correctly, how much their squad cost compared to ours. Does that argument not apply now it is us with the multi million pound line up? Funny that? #evangelical

Continuity was in relation to not changing the entire backroom staff including all of the extra expense that would entail.

You said Tindal was more of the same yet he's already played new formations, he's even played your favourite one and played the players you've been calling out for in the number 10 role... He's also started really well in terms of results. I guess that's why you've had to plumb the depths to find some angle to slag him off.

What's Neil going to focus on in his match report after a good start? Errrrr, possession stats, that's it.
He hasn’t played my favourite formation yet unless I’ve missed it? 4-3-3?

What a nonsensical argument. If you said Ronnie O Sullivan was the best snooker player ever and I said ‘never you are talking crap’ the logical thing would be for you to say ‘ well who do you think is?’.

I wouldn’t then respond with ‘No Del, it’s down to you to prove your point’ as that would just make me a dick wouldn’t it.

Disingenuous argument. Neither you or I know much about any other squad in the league. Even if we did there's a lot more subjectivity when discussing the relative merits of squads with 25 players or more. On top of that I've told you where we're weak. Goalkeepers don't trouble the top 10 and neither do the strikers. He's playing wide forwards as number 10 strikers and that looks good but ours look lightweight and injury prone which makes the squad look small and weak.

Even if you were right you'd think someone who was saying that we have the best squad was making a positive point, but you're not unfortunately. You're manufacturing a stick to beat them with.

Last edited:
He hasn’t played my favourite formation yet unless I’ve missed it? 4-3-3?

Well I can't keep up but I don't know how else he gets three in the middle and Brooks/Stan/Danjuma in at number 10 onto that formation. Either way he's hardly been more of the same of what we had last year has he.

Disingenuous argument. Neither you or I know much about any other squad in the league. Even if we did there's a lot more subjectivity when discussing the relative merits of squads with 25 players or more. On top of that I've told you where we're weak. Goalkeepers don't trouble the top 10 and neither do the strikers. He's playing wide forwards as number 10 strikers and that looks good but ours look lightweight and injury prone which makes are squad look small and weak.

Even if you were right you'd think someone who was saying that we have the best squad was making a positive point, but you're not unfortunately. You're manufacturing a stick to beat them with.

No you are interpreting it that way. I think it is a very positive thing.

Well I can't keep up but I don't know how else he gets three in the middle and Brooks/Stan/Danjuma in at number 10 onto that formation. Either way he's hardly been more of the same of what we had last year has he.
You play Lerma and Cook sitting and Brooks behind a centre forward with King and Danjuma wide. Then you ask them to press high and keep the ball, create overlaps on the wings with the full backs.

We've had a reasonable start and I'm not getting carried away by the 7 from 9 points, at all. I didn't see the Boro performance, but so far I am just not convinced we look comfortable during games atm... Now this could be (and very possibly is) the transition from being relegated, picking confidence levels up off the floor slowly, the loss of Eddie, the promotion of JT, losing several key players that have been around the team for a long time...

However, part of me still is worried about Tindall being the next Bradbury... Nice guy, will do ok, but largely because of the team Eddie left behind, and not because of his ability...

I probably need to add to the above statement by saying Tindal has done little wrong to so far, and these thoughts are just that, my thoughts... I am sure he will learn and improve, but we need to be better, and soon.

The team is performing ok but only in spells. The second half yesterday was pretty poor from a home side. Our passing at times leaves you pulling your hair out, and yes, we defended admirably, but Norwich were also very wasteful when in front of goal. I actually do expect us to be at least on a par with teams, when at home... There is no one in this league, when at home, we should fear.

Like I said, we seem to have it in spells atm, but our play and passing is very disjointed... It feels like we're watching a cup team from last season... great individuals but not quite there as a group, and hopefully that will come with time, and in the meantime we're not losing ground, be that by luck or ability I don't know...

I just don't know how to feel so far, I just know I am not excited...

The season at this level is a 46 match slog. So, getting some points on the board is the most important thing.

The position in the League table is really quite irrelevant this early on except, in a way, it isn't. It shows a kind of declaration of intent that you want to succeed this season.

Derby and Nottingham Forest are both huge clubs. In my lifetime they've both won the League and Nottingham Forest were European champions. Yet neither has managed a point out of their first three matches. I expect they are playing lovely football, but it's not what really matters right now.

I’ve reached the conclusion through looking through the other squads. Nobody else has a 27m Lerma, a 15m Danjuma, a couple full England internationals, Norway’s centre forward, two international goalkeepers, England U21 centre half, Wales best starlet etc etc etc...

The talent at our disposal in this league is ridiculous. Money does also count because it brings you better players. Just as whenever we lost to Spurs, Man C or Arsenal in recent years we were content to point out, correctly, how much their squad cost compared to ours. Does that argument not apply now it is us with the multi million pound line up? Funny that? #evangelical

Come on now. Can anyone read that first paragraph without laughing?

Neil, seriously, can you honestly say that you don't deliberately select your 'evidence' in a negative way to bash afcb? Is there any other circumstances where you'd describe Dom Solanke (or even Lewis Cook) as 'full England Internationals' other than to slag the club off indirectly? In the other thread you've said you wouldn't pick Solanke any day of the week.

"Two international goalkeepers" :rofl:now you've put it like that we must have the best goalkeeping squad in the league.

Laughable.

Yes, and we were wrong then. We also had ten men to be fair.

My point was that possession means nothing when you're playing powder puff football. We were disciplined, had a brilliant shape and broke up their play well. At this point of the season with an untested manager I'd take the points any time of the week. If you expect any team to dominate or get guaranteed promotion in this league then you're wrong. Josh aside we have a striker who couldn't hit a barn door at ten paces last season and an ex loanee who managed 4 goals, yet somehow you think we should walk it ?

To me it boils down to what you are happy watching. Some people just want to win.... that’s fair enough! Personally I like to be entertained and see my team try and keep the ball and dominate the game. Especially when they have a better squad than the opposition.

I get bored watching 30 odd percent possession at home. That’s not Bournemouth football to me.
This from a man that wanted Gareth Ainsworth!

#evangelical - is that in a derogatory sense like gammon or Karen?

As I've said before, the amounts you pay for players whilst in the prem are irrelevant so please stop quoting them as it does nothing for your argument (that kipper cost chelsea £70m ffs!)

king got dropped by norway and will be gone shortly
begovic - bosnia - nuff said
travers - irelands number 3
wales best starlet who wont play for us again
I could go on.....

as SDD said, your attempts at belittling the manager are getting increasingly desperate

Three things

1. JT deserves credit for tweaking the formation after working out how they would play. Priority looked like maintaining an unbeaten start and seeing what we could get. Disregard the style for a home game, no supporters so different atmosphere and limited benefit.

2. With relatively less possession and only 2 attacking players, we still had the quality to beat a decent team. We were missing players too, two of which would start, so arguably showing we have depth without the added help being called for, plus JT knows how to change formations to adapt if injuries hit one area hard.

3. We have no idea how we will play against the weaker teams in this division, how attacking the formation or selections will be. However, we are picking up the points safely while we figure out who those weaker teams are and building confidence. This division is all about getting an average of 2 points per game to keep you in the hunt until March, so far so good, but very early days.

I don't think that JT has the players to keep possession in the team...our defenders are not great at passing it around without making errors..Gosling can't pass and Lerma seems to have lost his accurate passing abilities that I saw from him when he first played for us, we constantly lose the ball or knock it out of play. Our dead ball efforts are a bit worrying...I am happy that we have got the results that we have as we adjust to this league...huge positive is the form of Danjuma who looks a dangerous forward (unlike Solanke I am afraid!)

All that said the standard is not as high as in The PL where you get punished for most mistakes...

I am looking at a top ten finish, with hopefully a shot at the play-offs as the bonus...

Jason doing okay though given the constraints of selling our best players and not being able to spend very much to replace them...

UTCIAD

My point was that possession means nothing when you're playing powder puff football.

Absolutely right!

Let me remind everyone what happened on Tuesday, the 3rd of December last year.

We had 70% possession and 575 passes with a completion rate of 86%.

The result: a 1-0 loss because of one of the most gutless performances that I can recall from a Bournemouth team. That includes drivel served up under Benson, Bradbury, Groves, Hartley, Quinn and when we were managerless.

#evangelical - is that in a derogatory sense like gammon or Karen?

As I've said before, the amounts you pay for players whilst in the prem are irrelevant so please stop quoting them as it does nothing for your argument (that kipper cost chelsea £70m ffs!)

king got dropped by norway and will be gone shortly
begovic - bosnia - nuff said
travers - irelands number 3
wales best starlet who wont play for us again
I could go on.....

as SDD said, your attempts at belittling the manager are getting increasingly desperate
Your attempts at talking down the squad are the only thing that are desperate. Just read them twice to check my eyes.

If you are happy with watching your team not have the ball at home and win then that’s fine. It’s just not my preferred style of football to watch. Plenty of Stoke fans didn’t like their possession stats under Pulis others wish they still had them and were playing Man U. I respect people’s rights to value results over football it’s just not my preference. Different stokes for different folks.

;