Match Report and moM v Newcastle

Brooks doesn't need to bulk up. He got outmuscled on the ball because he's a last resort central midfielder who shouldn't be playing in a 2 man midfield in a 442 formation. That's just the way it's gone this season, unfortunately.

Boruc 5 - Poor for the first goal, not exactly a great free kick from Rondon. Unnecessarily shaky distribution and moments in the final 15 munites.

Clyne 5 - Pretty poor passing throughout and no attacking threat either. Standards have dropped the last couple of games, should be doing more.

Mepham 8 - Excellent in the air and dealt with the strikers pretty comfortably. Got on the end of a few corners too. Not at fault for either of the goals, huge potential.

Ake 7 - Looked a threat at set pieces, did well to win the penalty. Struggled at times with Rondon but a pretty stable performance.

Daniels 5 - Thought he was having a reasonably solid game until Atsu came on, who roasted him at every opportunity. Hot and cold offensive display.

Ibe 7 - Best game he's had in a while, a livewire throughout and decision making looked improved; playing with confidence. #notatrip.

Lerma 8 MOM - Shaky first 20 minutes, before utterly dominating the Newcastle midfield single-handedly. Best player on the pitch.

Brooks 5 - Not the right player for the role. Uncharacteristically poor passing and kicked out of the game. Ideally should have come off second half.

Fraser 6 - Had a few good moments but was also hacked at throughout most of the game. Needed more protection from the ref.

Wilson 5 - Very anonymous. A few decent runs off the ball, but zero pressing and his hold up play was severely lacking.

King 8 - Explosive performance, powerful runs and some decent interplay. 2 great goals. Cost us the game by failing to pick up Ritchie in the box.

Subs:
Solanke 7
- Very good cameo, strong, silky and intelligent play. Good assist for King. Provides a great option off the bench, promising.

Our game management was absolutely appalling at the end. I thought EH should have taken the ineffective Wilson off for either Simpson or Rico for the final 5 minutes: pretty sure we would have won the game otherwise. Also think Taylor should have come on for Brooks, who was having a bit of a mare. If Taylor can't be trusted to come on in a situation like this; he shouldn't be on the bench. He was ready to come on in the first half; why didn't he?

...can't argue with much of what NWC says there..although Lerma lucky to escape a red card for his studs up tackle IMO when I saw it on MOTD

Clyne had a shocker of a game!

...can't argue with much of what NWC says there..although Lerma lucky to escape a red card for his studs up tackle IMO when I saw it on MOTD

Clyne had a shocker of a game!

I didn't see the challenge on MOTD? - they didn't show the challenge by Perez on Fraser either

;