Match Report and MOM v Palace

I think you sum it up nicely and the key point is that Eddie’s biggest crime is the way in which he persists with the same ideas even though they are quite blatantly not working.
Its because he has too many yes men behind him,
Yes Eddie, Great Eddie, Your right Eddie.
We all knew how Palace would set up with two lines of four and counter attack. Eddie played straight into their hands.
No way should Josh be playing out wide on the wing, no way Smith should be playing left back. No way should H Wilson and L Cook be on the pitch at the same time. When Fraser said no more for me, Eddie should of had Rico and Danjuma on the left and Smith or Stacey on the right with Brooks. Its not rocket science Eddie, stop trying to complicate things, its getting us no where.

The only hope we had is that the team that had showed some guts and desire in the last seven or so games turned up raring to go. Instead we got the abject shite from the two months prior to that. This was the same boringly depressing performance as at Selhurst Park, which was one of our worst performances this season - which says something.

I really can't see them getting out of trouble, to be honest they deserve to go down. I also can't see me watching many more games for the rest of this season either. I don't particularly like this version of football and our performances aren't worth putting up with it for.

I know how you feel, I will certainly watch the rest of our games but not with the same enthusiasm. Lets hope for a result somewhere just to get a little tilt that we can survive.

Just because it's not been mentioned, what did we think of the tackle on King? Both feet off the floor? A good, solid, old fashioned tackle? Dangerous play or perfectly acceptable use of force?

Either way Josh was livid. I think he was crying, actually, and appeared to call out "what the ****************?!" in the direction of the Palace goal in frustration, I assume at Cahill or whoever it was.

I realise they could have had 2 or 3 sent off and we wouldn't have scored but feeling hard done by is nicer than feeling devoid of all hope like I do now.

Excellent report Neil.

I know we haven't had too long back in training and who knows what practice matches we played beforehand but last night we never had a proper Plan A let alone a Plan B!

When you consider that lock down was pretty close to the original fixture and we've had about 100 days to come up with a game plan I think that confirms that our backroom team are pretty clueless. Too many jobs for the boys.

It is madness to pursue playing a right footed left back when Palace have such a secure back four. The game cried out for both full backs to overlap. Callum Wilson was isolated against two bigger centre halves with King wasted out wide.

It reminded me of that awful game at West Brom where we and Defoe hardly had a touch in the oppositions penalty area and we lost.

I reckon our under 21 players with Shaun Cooper and Allan Connell would have given us a better game plan and performance.

I thought the tackle was OK. He won the ball first and crucially at the point of winning the all, his foot was not off the ground. It was just unfortunate his foot deflected off the ball and caught King

Im not a fan of old fashioned tackles but this wasn’t one. This was just a clean tackle which a slow motion replay made look like one.

Just because it's not been mentioned, what did we think of the tackle on King? Both feet off the floor? A good, solid, old fashioned tackle? Dangerous play or perfectly acceptable use of force?
I think the follow through was a potential ankle breaker and King was right to react the way he did. No intent to cause damage though, but nasty.

Either way Josh was livid. I think he was crying, actually, and appeared to call out "what the ****************?!" in the direction of the Palace goal in frustration, I assume at Cahill or whoever it was.

I realise they could have had 2 or 3 sent off and we wouldn't have scored but feeling hard done by is nicer than feeling devoid of all hope like I do now.
If that had been Lerma or Francis making the challenge and they'd been sent off, I'm not sure I'd see it as justified and I'd be upset about it. That's the measure I try and use.

The challenge was robust but it aimed for and got the ball. There was a follow through but it had little or no intent to hurt I don't think. As a result red would have been harsh IMHO. If VAR could award yellows maybe that would be about right.

Kingy doesn't want to take risks with a potential move coming up, and his reaction was perhaps to be more alarmed about the tackle as a result.

There were a few tackles in the game that highlights how a certain angle or slow mo can make things looks worse than they appear to the eye.

There was that tackle and another Crystal Palace one that looked nasty, especially one which went over the ball.

Whilst the Lewis Cook tackle that be got booked for, looked a splendid challenge in slow mo... but then you can’t see the excessive force etc.

Incidentally. Thought Lewis Cook was lucky to not get a yellow card or a VAR red card for the elbow in the 94th minute.

I think the tackle was fine just unfortunate with the injury . I do admit though some of our players hit the floor an awful lot

I don't actually think we did set up to counter attack tbh......we tried to get on the ball in the first five minutes but we simply do not have the midfield to retain the ball .....add to that a striker who cant hold the ball up and you have the shite served up last night.

We might as well go back to setting up to counter imo as anyone waiting for the likes of Lewis Cook ....Harry Wilson ....Goso or even Lerma to dominate the ball is living in dream land......we used to have Arter and Surman looking after and recycling the ball aided by the superb technique of Pugh and Richie who could receive the ball under pressure.
We dont have that type of player anymore so its pointless for anyone to keep banging on about us needing to be a possession based team.
At least the penny might be starting to drop that our problems are not caused by any formation....

A lot of people here are saying they'll be happy to be back in the Championship, playing fast, exciting, football again and I'd be happy enough with that too, but why would that happen with the same manager, staff and what'll be left of the playing squad?

EH seems tactically rigid and surprisingly incapable of motivating the players he's brought in, players you'd think would bust a gut for him after being given the chance to play in the PL, and if we go down at least half will follow Fraser out the door: King, Brooks, Lerma, Rico, Billing, Ake, Ramsdale, Simpson and maybe Mepham, Stacey and Kelly too as I doubt they expected to end up back in the Championship so soon. We'll be left with what's left of the old guard and players no one else wants. Without Fraser to feed him, C Wilson looks Championship standard and we'll probably be stuck with him and his huge contract unless whoever buys Fraser thinks it might be worth reuniting the pair of them.

Basically, what I'm saying is I wouldn't cross the road to watch any team in any division play like we saw last night and I'm sure that's true of plenty of others so it won't take long for the gate money to plummet. With parachute payments probably going to pay Demin back and half a team of cheap new players I imagine we'll only be in the Championship for one year, but this time it'll be on the way down not up.

Doomladen, I know. But I've seen too many games this season where EH has looked absolutely clueless; outthought and outplayed by the likes of Hodgson, Dyche, Pearson and Wilder. I hope I'm wrong and if EH can rediscover the his touch I'm sure I will be, but with each game that looks less likely.

and if we go down at least half will follow Fraser out the door: King, Brooks, Lerma, Rico, Billing, Ake, Ramsdale, Simpson and maybe Mepham, Stacey and Kelly too
I really don’t think players from a relegated team will be in that much demand. King, Brooks, Lerma, Aké and Ramsdale are the only ones to attract significant interest.

Teams will have doubts on Billing after two straight relegations. No one will touch Mepham, Stacey and especially Kelly. Remember as each player leaves, the financial pressure to sell the next subsides. I have a feeling there will be one player we surprisingly keep hold of.

I really don’t think players from a relegated team will be in that much demand. King, Brooks, Lerma, Aké and Ramsdale are the only ones to attract significant interest.

Teams will have doubts on Billing after two straight relegations. No one will touch Mepham, Stacey and especially Kelly. Remember as each player leaves, the financial pressure to sell the next subsides. I have a feeling there will be one player we surprisingly keep hold of.

So long as it's not Harry Wilson. If ever there was an example of a player who should only come on for set pieces.

I think Mepham's proven he can play in the PL given a bit of time and experience, Stacey too. Kelly, who knows? Rico doesn't strike me as a Championship type player so I would've thought will go back to Spain. Simpson hasn't signed a new contract and I doubt will stay to be fannied about like he has been in the last couple of years. You might be right about Billing but I think he's done enough to show he has potential under the right manager. But even if they all stayed successfully replacing King, Brooks, Lerma, Ake and Ramsdale, essentially the spine of the team, will take at least a season for any cohesion and by then it could be too late.

I think C Wilson will stay just because no PL team will want him and no Championship team will be able to afford his wages. At least Defoe is going but I wouldn't be surprised if we end up paying half of C Wilson's wage to play for Celtic/Rangers.

I think C Wilson will stay just because no PL team will want him and no Championship team will be able to afford his wages. At least Defoe is going but I wouldn't be surprised if we end up paying half of C Wilson's wage to play for Celtic/Rangers.
I would like to think Callum has a relegation clause in his contract, so if we go down he will only pick up half or so of his bloated salary. Maybe some mug of a manager will take a punt on him and he will stay in the Premier league, that's my hope anyway.

I would like to think Callum has a relegation clause in his contract, so if we go down he will only pick up half or so of his bloated salary. Maybe some mug of a manager will take a punt on him and he will stay in the Premier league, that's my hope anyway.

Maybe, but even if it's half of what he's on now won't it still be £50,000 a week? I thought at the time that we should have sold him instead of giving him a better contract, because we'd seemed to play so much better, free flowing, football when King was up front.

I don't actually think we did set up to counter attack tbh......we tried to get on the ball in the first five minutes but we simply do not have the midfield to retain the ball .....add to that a striker who cant hold the ball up and you have the shite served up last night.

We might as well go back to setting up to counter imo as anyone waiting for the likes of Lewis Cook ....Harry Wilson ....Goso or even Lerma to dominate the ball is living in dream land......we used to have Arter and Surman looking after and recycling the ball aided by the superb technique of Pugh and Richie who could receive the ball under pressure.
We dont have that type of player anymore so its pointless for anyone to keep banging on about us needing to be a possession based team.
At least the penny might be starting to drop that our problems are not caused by any formation....
The formation we are playing is unsuited to the players we have... still you keep burying your head...

;