Match Report and MOM v Palace

The formation we are playing is unsuited to the players we have... still you keep burying your head...
lol what formation do you want us to play....we started the game 433 last night.....exactly what you've wanted....in fact this season we've played every formation known to man 4411...343...451.. 433 and we've had the same problems with all of them............but yeah keep banging that same drum....'stubborn Eddie keeps playing the same formation'......sigh.

lol what formation do you want us to play....we started the game 433 last night.....exactly what you've wanted....in fact this season we've played every formation known to man 4411...343...451.. 433 and we've had the same problems with all of them............but yeah keep banging that same drum....'stubborn Eddie keeps playing the same formation'......sigh.

This is a problem. We have tried every system, we have given every system a run of games. We’ve tried round pegs in round holes, we’ve tried nonagons in square holes. We’ve tried it all and we’re still stumped.

We play Lerma and Billing and there’s moans of two defensive midfielders will never be creative, it’s ponderous and slow and lacks tempo.We play Lerma and Lewis Cook with Brooks as a 10 and it’s exactly the same.

Brooks got joy down the right wing when we overloaded with Jack Stacey and Harry Wilson with some quick interchange, but Crystal Palace adapted to that pretty quickly.

We didn’t have anything like the threat down the left wing, despite King’s pace.

Meanwhile Callum Wilson will forever look like he’s struggling playing the lone striker role. He can play it. But whilst he’s battling with a defender or holding up the ball, he’s not twisting and turning or making a run and splitting defenders like he would be if he had a number 10 behind him doing some of that work with him.

Wilson looks better with a Pitman, with Kermorgant, with a King, even with a Solanke.

The problem we have then had is a lack of pace down the flanks to give the opposition more than just one thing to worry about because otherwise we are still predictable to play against.

Maybe, but even if it's half of what he's on now won't it still be £50,000 a week? I thought at the time that we should have sold him instead of giving him a better contract, because we'd seemed to play so much better, free flowing, football when King was up front.
I've been saying exactly this for years now.

I haven’t said it’s the same formation... he had played a few. Just not the right one in my opinion. We started 4-4-1-1 with Brooks roaming behind Callum and King and Harry as wide midfielders.

The formation i would love to see (and never have) is the three sitting midfielders of Cook, Billing and Lerma (or Goz if one not fit) allowing a front three free license to do what they want. My three would be King, Brooks and Callum. Liverpool and Real Madrid the best recent exponents. Get people close together and push the full backs up as the midfield can drop and cover them.

it’s called modern football. Alternating between 4-4-1-1 and 5-4-1 and 4-4-2 is very 2006

I do agree with you that’s it’s more than formation at them moment though. It’s one of a number of issues not the issue

I thought at one point there was a degree of irony in your user name but I guess not .

I said that when I first came on here. I've enjoyed watching football on tv for 40 years but never supported anyone other than England. I never supported anyone else because I never felt any connection to Liverpool or Man U or whoever. I never supported Bournemouth because (a) I always worked Saturdays, (b) they weren't on telly and (c) they were more often than not quite sh#t. Now - I'm retired, they're on tv and by comparison they're not so sh#t anymore so I'm happy to support them. But, unlike you, I'm not locked into them since childhood and there's a big difference between supporting a team and being proud of having watched them play like they did last night. Honestly, if they continued to play like that, so, so boring, I would stop watching them because life's too short to watch cr#p like that too often. You won't, that's fine with me.

ps. I'd still follow their results but probably not watch the highlights because they only show the goals and we wouldn't score any.

Last edited:
I said that when I first came on here. I've enjoyed watching football on tv for 40 years but never supported anyone other than England. I never supported anyone else because I never felt any connection to Liverpool or Man U or whoever. I never supported Bournemouth because (a) I always worked Saturdays, (b) they weren't on telly and (c) they were more often than not quite sh#t. Now - I'm retired, they're on tv and by comparison they're not so sh#t anymore so I'm happy to support them. But, unlike you, I'm not locked into them since childhood and there's a big difference between supporting a team and being proud of having watched them play like they did last night. Honestly, if they continued to play like that, so, so boring, I would stop watching them because life's too short to watch cr#p like that too often. You won't, that's fine with me.

ps. I'd still follow their results but probably not watch the highlights because they only show the goals and we wouldn't score any.
I've read what you said and obviously whatever you do is your choice, but at no point would I describe anything you're doing as "support". Follow maybe.

I haven’t said it’s the same formation... he had played a few. Just not the right one in my opinion. We started 4-4-1-1 with Brooks roaming behind Callum and King and Harry as wide midfielders.

The formation i would love to see (and never have) is the three sitting midfielders of Cook, Billing and Lerma (or Goz if one not fit) allowing a front three free license to do what they want. My three would be King, Brooks and Callum. Liverpool and Real Madrid the best recent exponents. Get people close together and push the full backs up as the midfield can drop and cover them.

it’s called modern football. Alternating between 4-4-1-1 and 5-4-1 and 4-4-2 is very 2006

I do agree with you that’s it’s more than formation at them moment though. It’s one of a number of issues not the issue
I saw it as 433 with King.... Callum and Hwilson as the front 3 and Brooks as the advanced midfielder......i suppose with a player like Brooks there isn't a lot of difference between the two roles anyway......although if he was playing as a 10 i doubt he'd be tracking back and fouling Zaha on the edge of our box.

As for your longing for the 3 sitting midfielders!.....Jesus wept Neil ...i know you struggle to remember anything for more than a week but come on thats just ridiculous.....

I've read what you said and obviously whatever you do is your choice, but at no point would I describe anything you're doing as "support". Follow maybe.

Okay, that's fair enough. I'd say I have followed them for most of the time but I do support them now because I look forward to every game and want them to win. But if they continued to be as boring as last night I'd still follow their results and want them to do well but I wouldn't pay thirty quid to go and watch them and I probably wouldn't make much effort to watch them on line.

;