Match Report and Mom v Palace

Good report. I thought we played some great stuff in the first 30 mins and remained comfortable as Palace came back into it towards half time. It was obvious Palace would have to come out with more spirit in the second half and we didn't seem prepared for it. Wilson and King were offering nothing at this point so the pressure continued, resulting in the equaliser that was clearly off-side. Gosling replacing Brooks was the right call but its a shame EH waited until we had conceded. I think that enabled us to regain control of the game and push for the winner with Palace always speedy and dangerous on the counter. Positives for me were that Lerma and Cook look like they have the potential for a really good partnership, just as we all hoped. A major concern is Callum Wilson. He can be a nightmare for the opposition when he is in full flow but at the moment he seems to have trouble controlling a football and needs to be much more clinical in his finishing. I liked the 4-5-1 shape as it can quickly change to 4-3-3 and suits the speedy players we have. It won't be needed for every game and it means EH would have to drop his beloved 4-4-2, but for games such as away to Watford on Saturday I would have King up top supported by a fast and fluid midfield. 7th in the league and loving it! The only bit of the jigsaw missing is the shiny new stadium.....

Thank you Neil. Only watched it on TV, but excellent report. If we had lost last night, after the disiaster at Burnley, it could have meant a real blip in the season. Team will be on a high for Saturday now.

It's interesting that several people have referenced the great atmosphere last night. I only watched it on Sky, but commented numerous times during the game how quiet the home fans seemed to be. I don't know if it depends on the tv effects microphones, but you could mostly only hear the Palace fans throughout the game. I know we suffer from nerves sometimes at home. Looking forward to the away atmosphere on Saturday.

It's interesting that several people have referenced the great atmosphere last night. I only watched it on Sky, but commented numerous times during the game how quiet the home fans seemed to be. I don't know if it depends on the tv effects microphones, but you could mostly only hear the Palace fans throughout the game. I know we suffer from nerves sometimes at home. Looking forward to the away atmosphere on Saturday.

That's a shame, in the ground it was the best home atmosphere in months.

Do Sky turn the microphones down on us due to previous misdemeanours (Singing the Match of the Day theme, Lino you're a C**t, etc)?

I’d be furious if a palace fan. Not only had Sakho and Lerma been warned prior to the free kick but Dean set himself up with a perfect view to see anything untoward. Such idiocy from an experienced defender.

Good team are palace and a great result for us given our two teams record against each other in the Prem. Fortress Dean Court is essential for us to continue this run of form. We could be on 19 points + by the end of Oct.

Do Sky turn the microphones down on us due to previous misdemeanours (Singing the Match of the Day theme, Lino you're a C**t, etc)?

I don't think so. The only time I've heard chants being muffled / replaced are the "Sky TV is f@@cking sh_it " sung by a certain northern team who's name escapes me.

I don't think so. The only time I've heard chants being muffled / replaced are the "Sky TV is f@@cking sh_it " sung by a certain northern team who's name escapes me.

I know that comments were made on Sky once apologising for our serenading of the linesperson, - and I think they turned us down on that occasion.

Serenading..I like that ;)

I must admit I thought that chant was out of order and went on a little too long.

Sat in the MS towards the NS the Ted Mac shed were in good voice last night but the NS only seemed to come alive towards the end. I can see the NS drummer but never hear him. Didn't even her IAD last night.

Sat in the MS towards the NS the Ted Mac shed were in good voice last night but the NS only seemed to come alive towards the end. I can see the NS drummer but never hear him. Didn't even her IAD last night.

We've got the drummer in the Ted Shed. Sat just in front of him. My ears are still ringing!

I said Eddie got things wrong at Burnley with selection and subs, shows he's always learning as he was spot on last night. Gosling was planned before the goal they scored, rubbish timing on their part!

Really enjoyed the whole game, felt Palace played a full part, even when we were blasting them in the first half hour or so. Think both teams are better than last season and destined for a top half finish.

Huge credit for Franno for his performance last night, a couple of times he worried me in possession but his main job, to stop Zaha, he was terrific. Aided by Brooks and Lewis of course.

Lerma was fab! Still learning of course....but as the game went on, he just grew into things. The amount of times he stepped in to win a ball or a header or to just get in the way was hugely encouraging. He also made a lot of simple passes to team mates in space. We've wanted a sh*thouse midfielder for three seasons, we now have him, opposition fans will probably end up hating him, which is just what we wanted! Lewis was mostly great alongside him, a few losses of possession but about right for a first game of the season for him. Think this is a great pairing for home games especially.

However, on Saturday, I'd probably add Gosling alongside both of them, whether you then have Callum or Josh up top is a good question though.

Burnley aside [ even then, there was plenty of good things, finishing aside ], we have just looked faster, more solid across the team, and an all round better squad than before. Top half definitely is on and hopefully we can overhaul our best points tally too.

Only saw it on Sky but after reading Neil's great detailed report and other good inputs would like to add this;
We all know Eddies strengths..improving players, fitness levels, sticking to his style etc. It seems obvious to me that he will also be severely self-critical and as time goes on we will see little things change! Now that the squad has a more flexible element he can( there are hints of it now) be more effective with Substitutions.This could be the difference of finishing 6th or 7th and 15th for example. He has also got more scope to pick the team to suit the oppositions strengths in matches if he thinks it needs it ....Last night Brooks scored and created well and Gosling stabilized/ turned it back when it was going away from us.... in their limited time on the field!
So..combine all that with not having ' pivotal stars' like Zaha and Pogba to possibly disrupt unity ..the PL future with the Ever-learning Ed is bright! Not forgetting the input from Jason and others.

Crowd noise sells the product, so they generally turn up mics near away fans everywhere, because you know they're more likely to be singing. Some grounds have dedicated singing areas so they could try to put mics there as well, but I think the sound editors would rather not risk it, at least away fans are concentrated in one area and mors likely to be singing in unison. That's why almost every game will sound like away fans are outsinging the home

I'm dead opposite the away fans and you can hardly hear North Stand even though you can see at times huge chunks of the stand singing. I think the acoustics of the ground has a affect on the sound for sure. The ted mac has now roof and the singing sections of the North are split into different sections each unable to hear what others are singing.

Terrific atmosphere and noise from where I was sat in the south stand, love the drummer (and the clackers). I have to say the Palace fans were very loud, too. Got home and listened back to 5 Live’s commentary, the stadium is clearly rocking. Surprised the TV mics didn’t pick that up but radio certainly did. Chris Sutton was full of praise for Lerma and Franno at the end. Worth a listen if you have the bbc radio app.

;