Match Report and Mom v Southampton

Neil Dawson

UTC Legend
Cherries Bottle El NewForrestico

Another derby....another insipid performance from a Bournemouth team who have never got to grips with St Mary’s or what it means to the travelling fans. Nobody expects a result but you do expect effort and fight...the one sided yellow card count tells you everything you need to know about this game. The gifting of goals continues as well... it was more neighbourly than neighbour rivalry.

Eddie switched to his ‘side that gets me out of crap’ from the start today with Mousset partnering King and Wilson and Fraser at wing back in a 3-4-3. It was a bold move especially with neither Mousset or King natural wide players and it meant that Southampton had more possession than normal. They struggled to do much with it though as Bournemouth held firm and the Saints lacked quality. The issue was that nothing was sticking up front when Bournemouth did have the ball and there was little respite from Southampton’s better desire and work-rate. In midfield Cook was once again playing on his own with Gosling again sadly missing and it made for a very disjointed game.

Begovic was bright though and he made smart stops from Tadic and Cook threw himself in the way of Austin’s drive. When Bournemouth finally started getting corners little did the away fans realise that a flag kick would lead to a Saints opener. Well, those of us that were at Middlesbrough last season had seen this before. It’s embarrassing that twice in the last two years we have been caught on the break from our own corner and that despite everyone starting in the same race two Southampton players ran the length of the pitch with the ball faster than any Bournemouth players without it. TADIC slipped it past Begovic.

Southampton’s tails were briefly up and Begovic made a superb full length stop from Lemina’s blockbuster.

Bournemouth offered precious little although from another corner Mccarthy stopped with his legs from Ake. Eventually a corner paid off with KING firing smartly back across goal into the top corner when the ball reached him unmarked.

HT Southampton 1 Bournemouth 1

I’d be interested in how many goals we have conceded in the first part of the second half this season. You can almost set your watch by it. Bournemouth had actually enjoyed their best spell of the game with Mousset particularly lively and causing problems. His attempts to one two with Wilson though floundered on the complete lack of confidence Callum is currently suffering and everything broke down. With Gosling finding a Southampton player with every pass it started to swing back in Southampton’s favour. Once again an error was the catalyst, Steve Cook chesting the ball when he should have headed it and losing out to TADIC who advanced to curl a sumptuous drive past Begovic.

The end of the match was strange. Defoe arrived to replicate the lack of presence he has shown all season and Ibe appeared to show pony and duck out of challenges. Bournemouth gave the ball away at will and yet because they were playing a team that hadn’t won since November nerves allowed them back into it. The last ten minutes were like the Alamo with Southampton giving up on attacking and Begovic coming up for corners. The quality of balls into the box was very poor though and although Fraser got on the end of two chances his left foot couldn’t maximise the chances and McCarthy was able to make two routine saves. Other than Surman displaying the shooting power of a five year old with a beach ball that was about it in a very disappointing show.

FT Southampton 2 Bournemouth 1

Begovic 7 - some smart saves and left exposed for goals.

Francis 6 - kept trying but misplaced a few passes.
Cook 5 - crucial error and not at his best throughout.
Ake 6 - Usual competent display in a sea of averageness.

Fraser 5 - not his best position and he didn’t seem to know where to put himself.
Cook 5 - out muscled and passing nowhere near normal level.
Gosling 4 - two speeds ‘slow and stop’ and talentless use of ball.
Daniels 5 - couldn’t grasp where he needed to be so reverted to old role.

Mousset 6 - pick of forwards with some lively runs but tired.
Wilson 4 - a great player in the past but desperately needs a rest. Confidence shot.
King 5 - really struggled to know where to be.
(Defoe 4 - did he come on or did they just hold his number up? Ibe 4 Surman 5)

Mom...Begovic for being the only one to do his actual job.

Verdict.
Where do you start? That’s was an embarrassing afternoon. We have a team of players some of whom like the trappings of the Premier League more than the effort needed to play in it. If Eddie can’t get a team tactically and motivationally ready to play a derby against a team that hasn’t won since November he needs to take a long hard look at himself and his team too.

Southampton wanted it more, had studied us more than us them, played with power and were happy to foul. We just idled about and even ducked out of challenges. Shameful when 3000 fans wanted it so much.

Tactically Eddie showed once again why he has to play 4-4-2. He doesn’t understand any other system and hasn’t signed players capable of doing key roles in other systems. He doesn’t have a number ten to play two up top and while he does have the players to play three up front he didn’t pick them up instead choosing three centre forwards all of whom spent the game up the field facing backwards. This meant the wing backs didn’t come forwards and we ended up 5-2-3. It gave Southampton confidence.

His other problem is he has had a strange break down of relationship with the energetic powerhouse of his midfield without having a suitable replacement. So we have to watch Gosling once again looking like he has won a competition to play in a Premier League game - with us all stood wondering whether his first touch might occasionally bounce to one of his own players out of luck. It rarely does and his laboured attempts to get around the pitch and win it back are pitiful.

Don’t get me started as well that we have had a player as prolific and talented as Defoe for ten months and have still no clue how to play to him. That’s shameful. Couple that with ten days to work on set pieces to come up with a crap lofted ball to nothing and it becomes alarming. Finally, we conceded an identical Sunday League breakaway goal today for the second season in a row because of tactical ineptness on positioning and a lack of desire to get back. Hughes will have also seen Palace do the same to us (but Van Aanholt missed) and plotted the same. Poor, poor, poor.

The positive I take from all of this is had we got to 45 points this season we would have limped into next year with the same poor pre season prep, bad start, mid season trip to Dubai that gets the players into beach mode and lack of signings of the players we actually need. This end might actually jolt us into trying something different after a very poor season of effort and performances. Hopefully that hurt the key people today and we come out and hammer Swansea with passion if nothing else.

Harsh but true, Neil - thanks for the report. Why oh why did we only really give it a go in the last 10 minutes. A frustrating afternoon

Just feel deflated. Games like today dont come around often. The players gave the talk in the press, a derby and we're up for it etc. but sadly never followed it up with anything like the effort required on the day.

If you can't get motivated for a game where the opposition absolutely must beat you, there's 3400 of your fans backing you, and there's just a few weeks remaining before your beach break with one or two last shifts required. Then there's a problem.

We were so lightweight and lacking in a spine, against a side described all season as being lightweight and lacking in a spine.

We're staying up so what more should we ask. But its been a pretty underwhelming season, which i know is a silly entitled thing to say, but its the truth right now as i see it. And what would have been an interesting way to see it out today, squandered.

I was pleased with the formation, i think given the absentees Smith and Stanislas it was about as strong as we could be. But formations dont equal workrate or aggression, nor do they mitigate against individual cock ups like Steve Cook today.

Absolutely need 3 starting 11 players this summer, one midfield and two defence. We've all said it for a while, but today highlighted it all the more.

Just feel deflated. Games like today dont come around often. The players gave the talk in the press, a derby and we're up for it etc. but sadly never followed it up with anything like the effort required on the day.

If you can't get motivated for a game where the opposition absolutely must beat you, there's 3400 of your fans backing you, and there's just a few weeks remaining before your beach break with one or two last shifts required. Then there's a problem.

We were so lightweight and lacking in a spine, against a side described all season as being lightweight and lacking in a spine.

We're staying up so what more should we ask. But its been a pretty underwhelming season, which i know is a silly entitled thing to say, but its the truth right now as i see it. And what would have been an interesting way to see it out today, squandered.

I was pleased with the formation, i think given the absentees Smith and Stanislas it was about as strong as we could be. But formations dont equal workrate or aggression, nor do they mitigate against individual cock ups like Steve Cook today.

Absolutely need 3 starting 11 players this summer, one midfield and two defence. We've all said it for a while, but today highlighted it all the more.
What about upfront? We look weak there too tbh .

Even Neil report seems lethargic ,time for this season to end .
The players get the report they deserve .

What about upfront? We look weak there too tbh .

Upfront isn’t great but it’s more a factor of getting the right combinations than getting new players. Unlike other positions, we do have the quality but we need to find a way for them to click.

Perhaps that’s with a new formation or tactics. But I think getting the defence and midfield sorted out would give a much better platform for the front players to perform.

Agree with the rather brief report ..cheers Neil.

Not sure about the verdict. It usually follows the same rhetoric when we lose so not jumping on that bandwagon- yep it was a **************** day and it hurt in the faces of every one I saw there.

We know we need at least three quality replacements this summer....as we've all been saying for a very long time.

Over to Max, the yanks and Eddie......

Upfront isn’t great but it’s more a factor of getting the right combinations than getting new players. Unlike other positions, we do have the quality but we need to find a way for them to click.

Perhaps that’s with a new formation or tactics. But I think getting the defence and midfield sorted out would give a much better platform for the front players to perform.

Spot on. King and Defoe could score 20 goals played right. Wilson just needs a break and to come back and needs to play close to someone who plays him in like Yann did so he could get 15. Mousset got great potential and we also have two 20 goal a season championship strikers on the books. We are better off for forwards than anyone outside the top six...we just don’t play the right ones in their right places and work out a game plan for them.

I know we joke about Eddie signing strikers and wingers every window but I don’t think it helps with continuity. We chop and change our attack most weeks and I don’t think Eddie has any idea his best combination.

In the past we’ve had the likes of Gradel, Afobé Murray and Grabban to add to the revolving door. Sure it’s great to have options, but it just means we play them out of position or upset them by leaving them out.

Let’s say we had just 3 strikers, a natural playmaking no. 10 and 3 wingers. We’d probably be a bit short of bodies, but if it forced us to go with a more settled attack I feel it’d help perfect the way we want to play. At the moment we are just so disjointed and no one seems to know what their role actually is.

King and Wilson were the problem in the first half. They seemed too concerned about their second touch to worry about their first touch. What is interesting, and not a good sign for Southampton is that we did not seem to get overrun in midfield like we have in previous weeks. They capitalized on our mistakes without really creating anything of note.

We are on the beach and we are basically relying on the teams between us and the bottom three. If we were in 15th place our performance and the result may have been different. I think we are safe but that is only because w have enough teams between us and the drop. Lose against Swansea and we are safe only because Brighton or Huddersfield will be worse than us.

In my opinion Eddie has a decision to make. We either play to the strengths of an aging Defoe, or we replace Wilson and King with Premier League experienced 9 and 10s. I am not a fan of poaching forwards from teams going down unless they prove that they can take the 1 or 2 chances we may provide them each game which is not a strength of fowards getting relegated. Maybe Mousset is who we should be building our attack around?

Rodriguez and Phillips from West Brom would be good signings on a limited budget. The latter being a wing back or winger with physical strength and a great engine.

I think we need a left back,possibly a right back,two central midfielders if we lose Arter ,a winger to replace Pugh and a striker that's different in style to what we have.
That's six players and we need to ship out the same amount who aren't playing.

Gutless bottling display, I'd give Ake a 7, Fraser 6 Begovic 6 and everyone else a 0.

Bad tactics from EH, players lethargic all game, gave them the ball whenever we could even though they were nervous as phuck, nothing in attack and non league defending.

Still fuming, When does that c##nt Surman ever shoot in any other game yet today he had two terrible shots when he came on and wasted 3 minutes of play. Well done you tit. Simple matter is that over half our squad are not good enough to be starting PL matches. 5 key signing needed in the Summer- 2 fullbacks, 1 CB 1 CAM and a Striker that's if we hang on and stay up, I think we might just do because of Huddersfield's fixtures but a big wake up call is needed this summer.

I've wanted us to play a midfield three for the majority of the season. We play a possession based game and we should dominate the centre of the park.

But we don't, Gosling and Cook have done brilliantly as a pair, but they are over run in most games and yesterday they got little support from the front three.

The ball just wouldn't stick with King or particularly Mousset and Wilson is playing with lead in his boots at the moment.

With that in mind it was always going to drop into a back 5.

Then we over commit at corners and we also appears to over complicate defending them. Everyone had their role, which was great, but as soon as the corner was then taken it took an age to get players back in their place.

;