Match report v Oldham

kirsikka

UTC Legend
--- Shock As Cherries Enjoy An FA Cup Match ---

FA Cup third round. The day dreams are fulfilled, legends created and bin men match up against billionaire owners. An away game against a team lower down the pyramid on a dodgy pitch wearing it’s January clothes with a baying crowed, hyped up to eleven for the day, and fielding an XI stripped of some of it’s most valuable stars can see Goliaths tumble.

Oldham are in League 2 and we’re only AFC Bournemouth so it wasn’t quite those stakes but, given our current squad, they did find themselves playing at a higher roller table than they face most weeks. More disappointingly for them, two of the three aforementioned advantages were stripped away with no crowd in attendance and the tie switched to Dean Court due to a frozen pitch.

The Cherries did see wholesale changes but Tindall pulled a surprise in starting David Brooks in what was effectively a 4-3-3 with Kilkenny part of a central three and King leading the line.

We know well from most of our history that there was often an air of surprise from opposition fans after we played teams from a higher division when they saw we tried to pass the ball and not only hit it long to the wardrobe up front. There was almost a patronising element of damning with faint praise about it so I want to avoid the same mistake here if I can. Suffice to say, Oldham came to play football and made a pretty good fist of it.

It’s fair to say, they could easily have taken an early lead when a corner was met by a towering header into the ground which bounced up and was well saved from going into the top corner by debutant between the sticks Will Dennis.

The game flowed back and forth but was characterised by moments of almost quality. Attacks lacking in the final execution to create a truly clear cut chance were interspersed with some below average play from both teams seeing simple passes hit astray.

The recent trend of failing to bypass the press when passing out from the back continued. I understand this was a hotchpotch team but if we’re struggling to make it work effectively in this match it only underlines the questions that have been asked about this of late. Either something isn’t working tactically with it, someone isn’t doing their job meaning we’re always a man light or we aren’t putting the opposition under enough pressure getting through to make them want to step back. It’s an ongoing concern.

Dennis belied his young status to show he was comfortable on the ball although perhaps sometimes a little too comfortable. Some of the passing was ticking into to the ‘high’ section of the riskometer with one fired ball to Zemura leaving him struggling to cope. He gave it away but luckily the Oldham player shot wide.

When we did get hold of the ball and get forward we passed well across their outer line but had little penetration in the final line and so not too much was created despite spells of possession. Wantaway striker and former Permier League menace Josh King was trying. Unfortunately it was in both senses.

Kilkenny seemed to be struggling to cope with the pace of the match, losing the ball and allowing breakaways to develop a couple of times. On 36 minutes this was almost costly only for a last ditch tackle from Carter-Vickers to prevent a clear shot on goal in the area. It spun out wide and was picked up by another Oldham attacker who stepped inside and curled a beautiful shot towards the far post with Dennis a spectator. Luckily for the Cherries it cannoned back of the upright and was hacked clear. A fortunate escape.

Despite the chance, the longer the half went on the more Bournemouth saw of the ball and the further back Oldham were getting pushed.

After a period of sustained possession in their half, dragging them left, then right, then left again Kilkenny played an incisive forward ball into King with his back to goal on the edge of the box. He slightly miscontrolled but Brooks was hovering nearby and it bounced kindly for him to smash a first time shot. I’m not sure if it took a deflection but the keeper acrobatically dived out of the way for the most elaborate non-save of a ball heading right where he was stood I’ve seen in a long time. 1-0.

Almost straight from that, an Oldham break ended in one of their players falling theatrically in the area about which Tindall must have said something as the coverage cut to Harry Kewell telling him to f off in no uncertain terms. It didn’t look like they’d be sharing a post match glass of red but claret remained a possibility.

Kewell didn’t have to wait long though as two minutes later an Oldham ball inside the left channel left Simpson spinning on his heels and his man racing through free. Dennis chose to be decisive and rush out, getting a hand to the ball, only to then take down the Oldham player. A clear penalty which was despatched despite the young keeper managing to get a hand to it.

Half time and Tindall reverted to his break period Tinkerman persona, bringing on Rico for Gosling and changing the system to an attacking three at the back with plenty of license to get forward for the wing backs and overlapping centre back.

The second half kicked off and, as we’ve often seen, the Cherries came out with additional impetus. Whatever JT says to them at half time, maybe he should start saying before the game begins.

Billing immediately made a difference, driving forward with purpose from our half and then slipping it to Brooks. With the ball magnetised to his feet, he drew in two defenders like iron filings and just at the moment they got too close played it to Stacey on an overlap. He cut it back into the six yard box from the byline and Riquelme scrambled it home to secure the Cherries a 2-1 advantage.

The new formation made it look like the Cherries had an extra man going forward with Billling looking to step past his man and open up the pitch and Brooks becoming more and more influential. His combination play with Stacey was the stuff long term successful partnerships are made of so I hope we see it a lot more.

Having seen Brooks conducting things and no legal way to stop the music, Oldham started to smash guitars up on the amps. Or, rather, hack him, pull him down, block him or whatever it took to throw him out of his rhythm. A good ref would have spotted this shared targeting of a player and stepped in but Woolmer had the air of a bored PE teacher who’d had enough of the bloody kids and wanted to get to the pub.

Brooks’ temper started to fray a bit which is something he needs to address. Far better to cause damage with the ball at his feet as then he’s a titan. Letting it descend into a physical confrontation means he’s already allowed them win never mind the fact that he has the build for a fight of a man made from string.

On the other side Riquelme seemed to have woken up and was also starting to impact the game. One glorious ball to Rico ended with a cut back for Brooks to take a shot that was deflected wide when well placed.

Where the balance of play in the first half wasn’t a million miles from being even, the longer the second period went on the more Oldham seemed to tire and the more the Cherries dominated. Sensing blood out wide, and perhaps with a view to protect Brooks, JT swapped out the right flank with Smith and Anthony coming on for Stacey and DB.

The impact was huge with Smith creating absolute havoc with his runs and Oldham suddenly looking like they had nine men such were the gaps opening up.

Finally the pressure paid off when a good cross from Anthony on the right was met by a King header which the keeper saved only to see it bounce off the hand of a defender sliding in on the line and go in. Cut to the effects mic next to Harry Kewell who informed us in a loud and clear voice ‘F... me, how has that gone in?’. A fairer analysis I could not make.

At 3-1 Oldham seemed to lose heart a little and offered almost nothing for the rest of the match. There was still time for the Cherries to add a fourth when Rico cut back from the byline, Anthony dummied and King fired home for a one that definitely couldn’t be attributed as an own goal.

4-1, next round of the cup, minutes for players coming back from injury and also for some youngsters. Job done.

Last edited:
--- Conclusions ---
- This is how these cup ties are meant to look when we’re the higher league team. Forget the horror shows that have gone in previous years and more like this please.

- Credit to Oldham, I thought they did alright before the constant work rate on the pitch from the Cherries started to leave them ragged. Also, thanks to Harry Kewell for two comedy moments by the mic.

- Kilkenny looks to me like a player in desperate need of first team matches. With the best will in the world he isn’t going to get them here so we really should be trying to find him a loan move. However, I guess that now depends what the news is on Ofoborh, and possibly Gosling.

- Is Zemura the answer to the LB conundrum? Well he still left us guessing after today. He was decent in patches and certainly got forward. I think the risk is it’s still too early for him.

- Tactical fluidity from JT that pinned them back. Credit where it’s due, well called that man.

--- Player Ratings ---
Dennis – 6
One good save, one rush of blood to the head. Some harum-scarum passing but at his tender age I guess confidence is good.

Stacey (off on 67) – 7
Up and down the pitch like a yo-yo.

Carter-Vickers – 7
He’s a unit but looked relatively mobile with it. Good to see him in action finally.

Simpson – 6
Lost his man for the penalty but fairly secure aside.

Zemura (off on 79) – 6
Got forward well at times.

Billing (off on 79) – 7
When he drove at them they looked terrified. Also provided a needed physical presence at times.

Kilkenny – 6
Recovered from a shaky first 45 to have a calmer second period.

Gosling (off on 45) – 6
Odd choice for the half time substitution given his lack of recent minutes and that he was captain for the day. Injured?

Brooks (off on 67) – 8 and Man of the Match
When he got on the ball he was in a different class to everyone else.

King – 7
Anonymous first 45 but got involved in the second to notch twice (probably). Won’t like this but was significantly more dangerous when pushed out wide to accommodate Surridge.

Riquelme – 6
Looked terrified of the match’s physicality in the first half but then composed on the ball with an eye for a defence splitting pass in the second.

-- Subs --
Rico (on from 45) – 7
Excellent work from him getting forward helped to decisively tip the balance of play.

Smith (on from 67) – 7
Against tired legs for sure but was an absolute menace from the moment he got on the pitch.

Anthony (on from 67) – 7
I do quite like the cut of his jib. Has a knack for getting involved in helping dangerous situations develop. We might have a real find here.

Lerma (on from 79) and Surridge (on from 79) - 6
The game was all but played out in a competitive sense with Oldham not far from a lifeless corpse when they came on so unfair to judge much either way.

Overall Grade: B+
They did the job and it was relatively comfortable. Good to see Stacey back and King make a contribution in the second half. Kudos to JT for the half time change and also swapping out the right side as both tilted the balance even further towards us.

Onto Tuesday and the start of five league matches in seventeen days from which we need a healthy haul of points.

Last edited:
I think Gosling was taken off for tactical reasons, he really was having a bad game. He doesn’t even look good against league 2 opposition.
on the plus side, our younger players are a joy to watch. Anthony, Zemura and Kilkenny all look very good indeed in patches. I would give Zemura a go at LWB in a league game tbh, he is very good going forward.
Stacy also had a good game, comfortably a better option than Smith imo. Brooks again flatters to deceive for me tbh. Good in flashes but still a long way off what we’d expect. Riquelme was poor today, touch wasn’t there. King was much improved in the second half when he was tasked with the role of dropping deep and floating into wide areas, as apposed to leading the line. He can be very good when he has the chance to carry the ball from deep but really isn’t a natural goal scorer. (Yes he’d probably get 20+ in league 2)

Kilkenny I think should be begging for a loan cause he needs game time.
I like the look of zemura but he needs to improve defensively. Attacking he looks promising though.
My favourite of the three has to be Anthony. The run over to give king the goal was class! And he has the ability to do clever link ups and one twos on the wing. I think he could be something special

Totally agree. I think he has some potential but three cup games a season isn't going to help anyone to release it.
Again agree,kilkenny needs to go out and play and cone back.pre season and see can he stake a claim.depending on whether we go up or not the same applies to zemura and Anthony. Travers finally out on loan and let's see how he does.

The mystery remains that if Kelly was due to be on the bench and was ill why Oforborh wasn’t called up. Kris Temple doesn’t think it’s anything to do with a potential loan

--- Conclusions ---
- This is how these cup ties are meant to look when we’re the higher league team. Forget the horror shows that have gone in previous years and more like this please.

- Credit to Oldham, I thought they did alright before the constant work rate on the pitch from the Cherries started to leave them ragged. Also, thanks to Harry Kewell for two comedy moments by the mic.

- Kilkenny looks to me like a player in desperate need of first team matches. With the best will in the world he isn’t going to get them here so we really should be trying to find him a loan move. However, I guess that now depends what the news is on Ofoborh, and possibly Gosling.

- Is Zemura the answer to the LB conundrum? Well he still left us guessing after today. He was decent in patches and certainly got forward. I think the risk is it’s still too early for him.

- Tactical fluidity from JT that pinned them back. Credit where it’s due, well called that man.

--- Player Ratings ---
Dennis – 6
One good save, one rush of blood to the head. Some harum-scarum passing but at his tender age I guess confidence is good.

Stacey (off on 67) – 7

Carter-Vickers – 7
He’s a unit but looked relatively mobile with it. Good to see him in action finally.

Simpson – 6

Zemura (off on 79) – 6

Billing (off on 79) – 7
When he drove at them they looked terrified. Also provided a needed physical presence at times.

Kilkenny – 6

Gosling (off on 45) – 6
Odd choice for the half time substitution given his lack of recent minutes and that he was captain for the day. Injured?

King – 7
Anonymous first 45 but got involved in the second to notch twice (probably). Won’t like this but was significantly more dangerous when pushed out wide to accommodate Surridge.

Riquelme – 6
Looked terrified of the match’s physicality in the first half but then composed on the ball with an eye for a defence splitting pass in the second.

-- Subs --
Rico (on from 45) – 7
Excellent work from him getting forward helped to decisively tip the balance of play.

Smith (on from 67) – 7
Against tired legs for sure but was an absolute menace from the moment he got on the pitch.

Anthony (on from 67) – 7
I do quite like the cut of his jib. Has a knack for getting involved in helping dangerous situations develop. We might have a real find here.

The game was all but played out in a competitive sense with Oldham not far from a lifeless corpse when they came on so unfair to judge much either way.

They did the job and it was relatively comfortable. Good to see Stacey back and King make a contribution in the second half. Kudos to JT for the half time change and also swapping out the right side as both tilted the balance even further towards us.

Onto Tuesday and the start of five league matches in seventeen days from which we need a healthy haul of points.

Only saw the last five minutes of the first half then the whole second so I did well !

Agree with your report from what I saw and I agree I think Anthony looks very promising indeed ...
He gets involved and makes things happen in a positive way .
The attitude was good second half and we looked like we wanted to put in a dominant performance...
I hope it carries on through the rounds .
UTCIAD.

Last edited:
Thanks, a fair report again and the player ratings are about right too. Poor in the first half but very good in the second. Great save by Dennis, I thought.

Thank you Kirsikkers.....top report.
Great to see young Stacey back....by gosh have we missed him and his link up play with Brooks.
Rico coming on in the second half certainly made a difference.
As for Carter Vickers.....calm, composed and played splendidly.
Young Anthony looks a prospect too.
All in all the future is bright.
Quick mention for Josh. Took his second goal with aplomb.
A committed and on form Josh would tear the championship apart. A shame he has settled for sporadic first team football in the Premier League.

--- Conclusions ---

--- Player Ratings ---
Dennis – 6

Stacey (off on 67) – 7

Carter-Vickers – 7

Simpson – 6

Zemura (off on 79) – 6

Billing (off on 79) – 7

Kilkenny – 6

Gosling (off on 45) – 6

King – 7

Riquelme – 6

-- Subs --
Rico (on from 45) – 7

Smith (on from 67) – 7

Anthony (on from 67) – 7

Very good report of the game, B+ about right. Kilkenny not for me gives the ball away to many times. Gosling his usual self ineffective. I think we should be looking to our future players, I think Aforborh for me every time before Gosling. I was glad to see Stacey back played well, I also liked the look of the loane player Cater-Vickers. I would like to see more of him in the future games. I don't think Zermura is quite there yet, looks good going forward but has to defend a little better. Overall a good result but did have its moments in the first half. Looking forward to the Millwall game.

I think one of JTs philosophies is to be 'calm and patient'. Possibly we because the squad are renowned for fitness and yards run.

One of the consequences is that he has to trust players in a first half like yesterday to keep it tight while he and they figure it out. When we don't start fast means they don't abandon the plan then gradually play their way into the game.

No surprise the higher div team won through.

Observations for me
- their striker was quick, which caused Simpson some issues, CCV none. CCV reminded me a little of some of the better performances of Michael Duberry during his loan spell. Would like to see him again midweek.
- Kilkenny was good when receiving in space but less so under pressure, send him to League 2 not League 1 on loan so gets used to receiving poor passes and being harried.
- Zemura, looked good, but was made to look worse first half by the narrow angles and passes onto his right side.
- Gosling out of position, often receiving with back to defenders, the sort of pass King likes out wide.
- Why is anyone talking about a fringe player that was not playing after a good victory. Lots of players not playing, does not help anyone to either create something that's not there or amplify it.

Hope for lower league in Rd 4 so we can rotate in for another chance for everyone in 2 weeks time.

Riquelme looked very lightweight in the first half, easily bumped off the ball, and looked like a boy amongst men. Probably more suited to the PL where big defenders/midfielders can't get away with so much.

For a change the timing of this cup game was beneficial given Boxing Day cancellation and a number of players needing match time.

unless there is an injury crisis 4th round also helpful in this respect as the midweek-weekend circus is starting again.

;