Match report v Sheffield Wednesday

kirsikka

UTC Legend
----- Tuesday Wednesday Unhappy Days -----

The Cherries came into the match following the diabolical display against Reading last Friday and an awful set of January league results in desperate need to kick some life back into the season, or at least put a performance on the pitch. JT brought Kelly, Wilshere, Brooks and Stanislas in for Rico, Lerma, Billing and King.

As a formation, it looked like it would ask a lot of Wilshere since L Cook would need support in the middle from a more traditional CM role alongside him.

The Cherries started with almost immediate sloppy play in their half, L Cook the man guilty of giving it away and possession was never regained before, 50 seconds in, the ball broke to a Wednesday player clean through on goal and we were fortunate that the attempt wasn’t great and Begovic was able to save it.

It’s becoming a hallmark of the Tindall reign that we’ve got a soft underbelly when playing it around at the back. Teams may accept the cost of occasional mistakes for the opportunities it can create by gaining chances of having possession in space bearing down in the other team having worked the ball around.

We seemed to have double down on making mistakes with several every match without ever really getting the upside of the tactic. Our version is so ponderous and lacking in vision a team of snails could probably get back into position before we’ve passed it beyond them.

Wednesday carved open another chance on nine minutes with a simple across the outside of the box which was then rifled at goal, Begovic having to tip it over.

Both those openings had come about from a lack of cover for the defence from the central midfield. The one in the first minute saw the attacker breaking through on goal with Wilshere several yards behind him. This time the attacked was again all alone to make his attempt.

It’s bold to go with such an attacking line up but if you then fail to exert control at the other end and put the opposition under pressure then whenever they break you’ll always look short at the back.

You couldn’t have cut cheese with our first half performance it was that blunt. Danjuma nearly had a crack on goal after some neat interplay with Kelly but it was blocked and that was about it.

With the attacking array of talent we had picked, we were fielding what should be the equivalent of a premium box of chocolates up front. However, they made it look like someone had nicked everything but the coffee creams. It’s the sight of those empty spaces which should be full of succulent moments of delight that make it all the more depressing.

At the other end, with the half not far from drawing to a close, more playing out from the back had Lewis Cook give the ball wide right to Mepham who had a man bearing down on him. He turned to pass it back to someone, whether it was L Cook who had now stepped forward, Begovic who was a little off his line or S Cook who was marking a striker remains unclear. What he actually managed was the perfect through ball to the Wednesday striker Paterson.

He then tried to leather it but instead made minimal contact and, a bit like when he shaped to dive to the corner against Reading and then couldn’t stop the ball when it came straight at him, Asmir seemed set to try and make a big save and found himself helpless when the ball was badly hit, contriving to flop over the ball. It dribbled into the net with all the force of an ever so slightly open tap.

The sight of the Wednesday striker guffawing with his teammates when going back for the kick off tells you all you need to know about the comedy of errors that led to that goal.

Half time and for the second game running the changes were rung, three on is a sign that things have gone very badly in the opening period. Solanke, Wilshere and Stacey making way for Surridge, Lerma and Smith.

The second half was better but not by a lot. Wednesday were now happy to sit back and waste time at every opportunity, then try to exploit the space we were leaving in behind.

There were moments when players worked well together. Kelly and Danjuma linked up quite a few times and maybe that’s the start of a partnership. On the other side Smith was making inroads and causing some problems with his direct running.

Slack marking yet again at a free kick left a Sheffield player completely free at the back post but he skewed it over. This is really basic stuff but it’s happening game after game so something isn’t right in the organisation at the back. Over recent weeks I’ve been pointing the finger at Steve Cook for not showing more leadership but the coaches should have been all over this issue like a rash.

Finally, 20 minutes into the half, a ball was hoisted long and the Wednesday defender foolishly let it bounce. The spin on it took it away from him and Surridge raced past him and looked set to shoot on goal when defender made a last ditch challenge from behind, somehow appearing to high kick Surridge in the chest in the process.

I don’t think there was a single objection to the penalty it was that obvious and Stanislas did his usual job of putting it away to make it 1-1.

There was some life in the Cherries now as they sense blood. They pinned the opposition back with Danjuma repeatedly running at them and leaving them terrified, only for the Dutchman to make a poor final decision with the ball. On the other side Smith was playing like a winger and tearing them apart, knocking in crosses that never quite reached a man.

Chances came, L Cook had a deflected shot pushed over by the keeper and Brooks couldn’t steer a very difficult one past him from an acute angle either.

This ten minute spell of dominance was brought abruptly to a halt by a baffling decision from the ref. Stanislas fired in a rocket of a shot which a Wednesday player blocked with his ankle but he fell to the ground clutching his head. With the Bournemouth players still in possession and looking to carve another opening the ref stopped play for the head injury. After lengthy treatment, to his ankle, the Wednesday player bounced up and play resumed and the momentum was gone from the AFCB play.

It isn’t the first time we’ve seen someone do that against us this season so it looks like it’s become a tactic. Other team breaking away or putting you under pressure? Fall over clutching your head and the ref will give you some respite. I’m not blaming that because we were architects of our own carbuncle this evening but it’s definitely one worth keeping an eye on.

Thereafter, with little creativity on show from the Cherries we were left to rely on a mistake form the opposition and it nearly came when a poor back pass had Surridge racing after it, through on goal if he could get to it. The defender hauled him down rather than let him get to it to wild demands for a red card from the Cherries bench and players. To his credit, the ref took his time and consulted with his assistant before issuing a yellow. Replays showed there was a good chance the keeper would have got there first so it was probably to right call.

With the game petering out and a point seemingly all we’d get from it, Wednesday found themselves with the ball on our left. Kelly was inside rather than pressing the two attackers so when it came to the second forward he had all the time in the world to set himself and fire in a deep cross which was met by a towering header from Rhodes to make it 2-1.

Lerma did get a shot in on goal from inside the area in the fifth minute of injury time but it was well saved by the keeper. In a sign of where we are right now, Begovic came up for the resultant corner. Everyone (neutral) loves to see a keeper go up but there’s no disguising it’s a sign of desperation when it’s your team doing it.

Another game we would have expected to win. Another game where the opposition came to sit in against us. Another game where we showed very little ability at breaking them down. Another game without a point. Another game where eyes have to turn to the touchline.

There wasn’t a lot to smile about out there tonight so all I’ve got for you are two Willo crackers from the commentary. At one disputed throw in during the first half he claimed “I think the linesman was that close he couldn’t see the ball”. In the second half, after a huge punt upfield that Steve Cook volleyed first time back to Begovic in what Wednesday claimed was a back pass, he said “I don’t think Franz Battenberg could have done that deliberately”. It was definitely a night that calls for cake.

----- Conclusions -----

- Tindall has a real problem now. Earlier in the season the performances were erratic but he was picking up wins. Now they’re terrible and he can’t get a result. If a man can’t get a tune out of some of the most individually skillful players in the division then you have to wonder if he’s the right guy for the job.

I know plenty will be calling for his head already but given the obvious personality type he has recruited in Long and Pearson I would imagine they will feature sooner rather than later. If nothing changes and this run and level of performance continues then Tindall will surely have to go by the end of the month.

The worst case scenario for us would be a half turnaround in form. I hope he can drag us out of this mire but if not I’d prefer a quick and less painful end to his tenure than watching us thrash around in clueless death throes for the rest of the season.

- I’m really reaching for positives but I thought Kelly was alright in the LB role and linked up well at times with Danjuma. Don’t break up the partnership now it’s shown the first glimmer of forming something, even if it was faint!

- Our play out from the back is often so slow I’ve seen more zip on a shirt and tie. It almost makes me want to break into Dean Court and draw some lines of the dressing room tactics board along with ‘URGENCY’ in big letters.

- I’ll be honest, I’m not enjoying this season at all so far. I know many were looking forward to the Championship and the chance to be competitive but I think our memories were spoiled a little by an exceptional manager that had built an exceptional team that played in an exceptional way. We’ve picked up some good results but I’m struggling to think of many games where we’ve looked really good.

- Anybody got any cake? I feel like comfort eating.

----- Player Ratings -----

Begovic - 5
I gave him a pass in the last match and, truth be told, he made a couple of good saves but he can't let that first one in.

Stacey (off on 45) - 5
Almost the only time he wasn't anonymous was when he was sloppy.

Mepham – 5
That back pass was an absolute shocker.

S Cook – 6
He didn’t have a lot to do all game yet we still shipped two and looked vulnerable. I’ll say it again, you need to take charge of this defence Steve.

Kelly – 7
A few good moments with Danjuma and tried to get some crosses in. We need so much more of this but I’m being generous as we’re so desperate for this role to be filled.

Wilshere (off on 45) – 5
Looked like a player that hasn’t played for half a season.

L Cook – 5
Careless on the ball far too many times. Another whose good form has dive bombed in recent weeks.

Stanislas (off on 87) – 7
He wasn’t great but was generally in and around it when something good happened.

Brooks – 6
At least he was trying hard but still has this habit of being brushed off the ball at the slightest contact.

Solanke (off on 45) – 5
Early knock maybe affected him? Was pretty ineffective.

Danjuma Groeneveld – 6
Lots of dribbles and looked to have them terrified in the second half until they realised they could just wait for him to hold onto it for too long then get a boot in. However, I’m happy to see a winger wanting to make something happen.

--- Subs ---

Smith (on from 45) – 7 and Man of the Match
Looked very good going forward. Beaten by Rhodes for the headed winner but I suspect Andre the Giant would have been given how well the striker met it. As in the last game, a MotM almost by default as nobody was all that great and the sevens are all arguable.

Lerma (on from 45) – 6
He huffed and he puffed but he didn’t blow anything down.

Surridge (on from 45) – 6
Two runs in on goal could have been pivotal but not sure he touched the ball outside of them.

Riquelme (on from 87)
Too short a time. I don't see how an 87th minute sub helps him or us when we’re chasing the game though? At least give him ten minutes of normal time plus the extra added on.

Overall Grade: E
We can’t create against sides that sit in against us.

Tindall needs to sit down and write that out on a pad of paper however many thousands of times it takes him to come up with something to combat this as it’s the same every time.

A bad result married to a bad performance makes for a bad relationship. How long will Max give it before JT is dumped?

Last edited:
I try to be realistic as I see it. It wasn't like Wednesday dominated us or tore one particular player apart. We were just so often insipid or sloppy that we made it easy for them.

6 being a player has performed at an average level and no more, with half the starting team not reaching that you look like a poor side.

No one individual was absolutely shocking throughout the match, everyone had their poor moments. Some more than others but it added up to something far less than the sum of it's parts when viewed at a team level.

Kelly 7?

After his pathetic ambling back to totally fail to cut off the cross for the second?

Hmmm

That was desperation on my part wanting us to have found a LB solution since we can't now add one from outside. The closing down for the cross was abymsal but at least he was doing the other side of the game alright, which is something we haven't seen from him or Rico most of the season.

----- Conclusions -----

- I’ll be honest, I’m not enjoying this season at all so far. I know many were looking forward to the Championship and the chance to be competitive but I think our memories were spoiled a little by an exceptional manager that had built an exceptional team that played in an exceptional way. We’ve picked up some good results but I’m struggling to think of many games where we’ve looked really good.
Not sure if any on here follow a guy named Peter Bell on the CherryChimes blog.

Peter just announced that he is hanging up his pen, and mentioned to me that he is looking forward to watching games without having to think about the accompanying write-up. He ran the blog for 8 years kirs ..... at this rate you will be chucking up fur balls after 8 months!!

Otherwise, good report as always, love the humour although it is tough to find much funny about what is happening.

We all appreciate the write up but seriously?

Kelly a 7? Brooks a 6? No players deserves more than a 4.

Kelly a 3, Brooks 4 at best.

Zemura needs a run in the LB position.If not, we should have signed one in January. Rico and Kelly are not Championship standard left backs

Disagree strongly about Kelly. The equaliser apart, he was constantly up and down and linking with Danjuma. If something was to come it looked like it would be from those two, or Smith on the other side.

That was one of the few (only?) points of encouragement from tonight. Having been banging the drum for a new LB for months there were some glimmers it might work with Kelly. Still a huge amount of work to do though.

For Brooks to get a 4 it would have to be one of the worst performances of the season from him and it wasn't that. He wasn't great but he was signficantly better than a number of his recent matches.

:chill: pill - We needs a consignment...a container fleet even.. of these wee guys !

Then we go again... V the Brummies.. And if'n we gets a duffer again.. gawd knows what the blinkin' meltdown will be like then ..crazy crazy posting ....Toastin 'Smokin' Keyboards !

----- Conclusions -----

- Tindall has a real problem now. Earlier in the season the performances were erratic but he was picking up wins. Now they’re terrible and he can’t get a result. If a man can’t get a tune out of some of the most individually skillful players in the division then you have to wonder if he’s the right guy for the job.

I know plenty will be calling for his head already but given the obvious personality type he has recruited in Long and Pearson I would imagine they will feature sooner rather than later. If nothing changes and this run and level of performance continues then Tindall will surely have to go by the end of the month.

The worst case scenario for us would be a half turnaround in form. I hope he can drag us out of this mire but if not I’d prefer a quick and less painful end to his tenure than watching us thrash around in clueless death throes for the rest of the season.

- I’m really reaching for positives but I thought Kelly was alright in the LB role and linked up well at times with Danjuma. Don’t break up the partnership now it’s shown the first glimmer of forming something, even if it was faint!

- Our play out from the back is often so slow I’ve seen more zip on a shirt and tie. It almost makes me want to break into Dean Court and draw some lines of the dressing room tactics board along with ‘URGENCY’ in big letters.

- Anybody got any cake? I feel like comfort eating.

----- Player Ratings -----

Begovic - 5
I gave him a pass in the last match and, truth be told, he made a couple of good saves but he can't let that first one in.

Stacey (off on 45) - 5
Almost the only time he wasn't anonymous was when he was sloppy.

Mepham – 5
That back pass was an absolute shocker.

S Cook – 6
He didn’t have a lot to do all game yet we still shipped two and looked vulnerable. I’ll say it again, you need to take charge of this defence Steve.

Kelly – 7
A few good moments with Danjuma and tried to get some crosses in. We need so much more of this but I’m being generous as we’re so desperate for this role to be filled.

Wilshere (off on 45) – 5
Looked like a player that hasn’t played for half a season.

L Cook – 5
Careless on the ball far too many times. Another whose good form has dive bombed in recent weeks.

Stanislas (off on 87) – 7
He wasn’t great but was generally in and around it when something good happened.

Brooks – 6
At least he was trying hard but still has this habit of being brushed off the ball at the slightest contact.

Solanke (off on 45) – 5
Early knock maybe affected him? Was pretty

Danjuma Groeneveld – 6
Lots of dribbles and looked to have them terrified in the second half until they realised they could just wait for him to hold onto it for too long then get a boot in. However, I’m happy to see a winger wanting to make something happen.

--- Subs ---

Smith (on from 45) – 7 and Man of the Match
Looked very good going forward. Beaten by Rhodes for the headed winner but I suspect Andre the Giant would have been given how well the striker met it. As in the last game, a MotM almost by default as nobody was all that great and the sevens are all arguable.

Lerma (on from 45) – 6
He huffed and he puffed but he didn’t blow anything down.

Surridge (on from 45) – 6
Two runs in on goal could have been pivotal but not sure he touched the ball outside of them.

Riquelme (on from 87)
Too short a time. Not sure how an 87th minute sub helps him or us when we’re chasing the game though? At least give him ten minutes of normal time plus the extra added on.

Overall Grade: E

Tindall needs to sit down and write that out on a pad of paper however many thousands of times it takes him to come up with something to combat this as it’s the same every time.

A bad result married to a bad performance makes for a bad relationship. How long will Max give it before JT is dumped?
I like the way you write your reports honest & to the point. We are playing the way we did last season when it was going tits up. We can't keep play to the same script, tear it up & write a new one. The whole team are lost & need to find a different way, not keep doing the same thing time & time again. Maybe JT needs to take a risk & play players new & old that sit on the bench every week. Pearson is a work horse & a leader he should be considered- CV in the games he play was solid why isn't he playing. I think you where generous with a E.

I think one of the main problems we are having is the chopping and changing of the team, a different line-up every match and then at half time bringing another 3 players on. There is no chance of players forming partnerships and I’m sure the morale must be terrible. I’m not a fan of Rico this season but one match he’s playing then he’s dropped then he’s back in a different position and that is just one player. The main problem with sacking Jason is who is available to replace him and whoever it is they will not want to retain all the afcb old boys as coaches. Most new managers bring in their own buddies to help so we’d be looking at getting rid of a lot of staff, can we afford it?

Weak team management ... is the club management just as weak? If the Board allows Tindall to go on like this they’ll digging the club into a deep hole. Even if we avoid relegation the talented players will be off at the first opportunity - the firesale will become reality.

So ... head-headed decisions needed. Could we get Lampard? Would Eddie return. Speed required - I’ll be looking out for an emergency Board. meeting.

Another defeat on the expected goals. It isn't as though we can claim that we missed a host of chances or that we lost to wonder strikes. 2-1 looks a fair result based on the chances created.

S Wed.JPG

Few straws to be clutched tonight. My one would be that at least we lost the game trying to win it, potentially gambling one point to gain two. I'm still cutting Bego some slack on the opening goal. He's gone to dive expecting a well hit shot, and the scuff puts it just wide of the foot he's about to spring from and he can't alter his position due to his momentum. Yes, it was a comedy spectacle, but the only one carrying the can should be Mepham.

;